U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Do you like to see a guy wearing flip flops?
Do you like to see a guy wearing flip flops? 23 34.85%
They should only be worn to the beach and around the house 26 39.39%
I don't think they look good and should never be worn 17 25.76%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 11:58 AM

1,524 posts, read 1,572,528 times
does this apply to crocs too? i wear mine around a lot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 11:37 AM

36 posts, read 58,928 times
I think flip flops on young men is a current fashion trend that will probably die out eventually. It's popular with college students, since flip-flops have become the lazy man's choice of footwear.

Here in Chicago, you'll also see men with $200 jeans wearing $50 flip flops out for the night.

As a 20-something male, I don't like to wear them to anyplace other than the beach. I hated seeing them all over college (ever been in an un-air conditioned classroom on a 85 degree day that smells like feet?), I detest seeing them on casual days at work, and to places such as restaurants and bars (especially upscale ones).

If the "bro" look is in for guys, then I'm out of it.

Old 06-23-2010, 11:44 AM

1,234 posts, read 1,389,953 times
Where's the "I don't care" option? :/

Old 06-23-2010, 02:49 PM

654 posts, read 894,136 times
Just another thread by women who are telling men what they shouldn't wear. Funny because women get to wear whatever they want.

BTW, I could care less who wears flip flops. I sure don't.

Old 06-23-2010, 02:50 PM

25,390 posts, read 7,381,709 times
I don't care if they wear flip flops as long as their feet are clean and their toe nails neat and short and their heels not cracked and grody, same for women.

Old 06-23-2010, 03:25 PM

2,761 posts, read 1,681,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vespatian View Post
I think flip flops on young men is a current fashion trend that will probably die out eventually. It's popular with college students, since flip-flops have become the lazy man's choice of footwear.

Here in Chicago, you'll also see men with $200 jeans wearing $50 flip flops out for the night.

As a 20-something male, I don't like to wear them to anyplace other than the beach. I hated seeing them all over college (ever been in an un-air conditioned classroom on a 85 degree day that smells like feet?), I detest seeing them on casual days at work, and to places such as restaurants and bars (especially upscale ones).

Hate the things (flip-flops). But they're fine for the beach.

I'm a kinda formal person (throwback from the 50's, but wasn't even around in the 50's ), kinda casual/dressy (high heel sandals as opposed to flats or flip-flops).

Yes, I've smelled feet in class - and these were from a guy with his GYM SHOES on!

Old 06-23-2010, 08:01 PM

155 posts, read 141,460 times
I guess their okay but some look better than others

Old 06-25-2010, 09:47 PM

68 posts, read 59,897 times
I'm a middle-aged man and in the summer, I wear flip-flops as often as possible. I don't wear them in inappropriate places, or when dangerous to do so, such as mowing the yard or using power saws for home repair. Other than that, I stow the tennis shoes and dress shoes. I'm not in high school anymore so I don't ask the fashion police's opinions.

As far as hygiene goes, damp sweaty socks are more detrimental to feet than sandals or flip-flops. My feet tend to be dry sometimes, but I get the fungal problems in winter when it's too cold for flip flops. Sorry if I violate some people's fashion sense by wearing them. If you see me in summer in the restaurant or grocery store in them, you are free to ignore me, snicker, and/or turn up your nose. It's your constitutional right.

Yes, those are my flip-flop and sandal clad feet and lower bare legs for what it's worth. Can't please everybody. Have a nice day.
Attached Thumbnails
What do you think of guys that wear flip flops?-shortz1.jpg  

Old 06-27-2010, 01:41 PM

3,078 posts, read 1,901,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog77 View Post
I noticed in the "I love it when guys wear" thread that there were some posts knocking guys who wear flip flops. Over the past few summers the shoes have been pretty popular amongst the 20/30 something crowd. I've had a few female friends in the past try to convince me to wear them although I never had the courage to go through with it lol. They seem comfortable but then I think about the image that I would projecting and would feel kinda awkward wearing them.

What do you ladies think? Let's assume that the guy keeps his feet clean and looking halfway presentable. Do you like to see him wearing flip flops with shorts or not?
No. On a man they seem kind of effeminate, to me. Sandals are okay, but wear something more substantial, like huraches.

Old 06-27-2010, 03:28 PM

4,121 posts, read 3,953,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vespatian View Post

I'm surprised to hear the room smelled of feet because of the guys wearing flip flops. I thought that smell only came from the feet being trapped inside damp and sweaty shoes for a period of time.

I have one pair of flip flops and I wear them only to the beach. I don't find them comfortable to walk in. I have sandals and I don't even like them all that much. But they're better than flip flops. I think flip flops look foolish with long pants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty