Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 01:40 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,322,098 times

Advertisements

I think it would be nice if these fashions did come back. I like the idea of covering some of the body with clothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2010, 04:45 AM

2,543 posts, read 4,882,982 times
I like those kind of full skirts and dresses. Women of any figure or size could wear them. And they were very classy also. I'd like to see that come back.

Old 07-13-2011, 09:38 AM

1,410 posts, read 2,138,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGrace View Post

found this site that sells vintage patterns,

since I can't find clothing from the 30s/40s/50s...but can find patters....

is it possible to find a dressmaker? To make these?

Or is this just a silly idea?

Boy! I just wish Macys would just have a section of 'classic' wardrobe - surely there is a market for it.

oh, btw...momspatterns.com is where I found the pattern....I wish I could sew!

I think I watch those old movies like That Touch of Mink, Pillow Talk...gosh, any Doris Day movie for that matter....How to Marry a Millionaire....just for the costumes.....they knew how to dress!
40s fashion doesn't do anything for me, but I dig the 50s looks - not the Happy Days teen looks, but what the grown women wore. I wish that full skirts with crinolines came back. So flattering for me. And very feminine. Did women of the 50s really have waists as tiny as those on the drawings on the sewing patterns?

Old 07-13-2011, 11:18 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,392,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susanflorida View Post
I hope those styles come back...they were beautiful/ Problem now is "women" aren't as slim, in general....fabrics aren't the same. When was the last time you could pronounce the name of the material your clothes were made of. In the 40-50's it was cotton, silk and wool....now it is recycled bottle caps/ poly------ whatever. It is sad.

Even if you go to Sak's and buy a designer wool suit...bet the buttons will poop in a year!
I saw bring back the past glamour!
THIS.

I'd love to see them come back but agree with OP that it would be difficult - I hate clothes shopping because even at the higher end stores - the fabric and construction is so cheap! Manufacturers take all sorts of cheap shortcuts - from the fabric, no lining (all my vintage wool skirts/trousers are fully lined), closures are cheap (no mother of pearl buttorns or bakelite), details are few (no darts, gathers use extra fabric)

For clothing makers - it's way more profitable to churn out cheap "maxi dresses" (basically shapless tubes) and thin t-shirts (that lose their shape after the first wash).

And yes, women are "bigger" - plus for alot of those styles to look right , you need the "proper" undergarments to make the clothing look its best.

Old 07-13-2011, 11:27 AM

6,476 posts, read 7,320,184 times
American women never looked sexier than in the 40's. The clothes, the hair, the make up -all of it.
From the white gloves to the red 'come and get me' lips, the to stockings with the seams up the back. Classy stuff. (And HAWT!)

I'd love to see it all come back.

Old 07-13-2011, 11:34 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,237,050 times
Not with the boomers or gen-Xers. They prefer to dress like children at play. Perhaps with the millenials since they seem to dress up more when they go out. However, I doubt they'll adopt those old styles. Times have changed and those clothing styles no longer make sense the way people live now and in the near future. Gloves, hats, and hose? Never gonna happen (again).

Old 07-13-2011, 11:58 AM

1,923 posts, read 4,713,340 times
Some women are bring it back!
Rockabilly is HOT!

Old 07-13-2011, 12:45 PM

2,501 posts, read 3,647,438 times
Actually I'm already noticing that some modern fashions are inspired by the 40s and 50s. Just look at the new bathing suits! They're awesome because not only are they classy looking, they also hide tummy really well. Also, I notice that the pencil skirt of the 40s is popular along with dresses that look 40s inspired! I love them! Just look at the Daisy Shoppe! They're totally retro and awesome!

Old 07-13-2011, 12:52 PM

1,739 posts, read 1,914,916 times
I love polka dots and hats (just not the one the woman in the picture on page 1 is wearing lol).

And I love the lady-like look. So feminine. But I much prefer the ultra feminine look of the early 90s (think poet shirts and 90210).

But I also love the androgynous look of the 80s as well.

Old 07-13-2011, 04:45 PM

2,488 posts, read 4,320,596 times
I'm a guy but I do agree that women look more attractive in these 1940s and 50s styled dresses. I especially like the way they look with the white gloves and red lipsticks. I've seen some old pictures of my Grandparents from the early 1950s (they were in their early 20s then) and they were quite sharp looking.

Yes, I do hope that clothing styles from that time period comes back in style. I wish they would. People look much more well put together then, very professional and cleaned up.

The clothes worn back then were/are very stylish, they'll look good in any time period. You never hear anyone make fun of the fashions of those days. But the shape of the women's dresses fit very well on the women's bodies and made them look pretty and feminine. I also like the length they wore their dresses at. Nowadays, women seem to dress up to look "hot" and "sexy" wearing their dresses to show off as much skin as possible. Bleg, looks trashy, if you ask me. Or they either wear very shapeless dresses that just kind of "lay" on their body (if you get what I mean). Many women nowadays also dress very plain at the same time too.

But the thing is, many if not most people seem to have such nostalgia for clothing trends from that time period, it makes me wonder why more people don't dress that way.

Last edited by 90sman; 07-13-2011 at 04:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty