U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 06:22 AM

8,415 posts, read 36,344,545 times

Advertisements

Anyone do this?

I was having tickley winter skin and figured out it may of been from my peppermint facewash use. I have sensitive skin so I always just go water only and use only one product until I find the "naughty" one. ;P

Anyway I have just been using hot water and a cotton washcloth to clean my face. I feel like that has been getting my skin cleaner than using washes! (thanks hard city water ) I lay the cloth on my face to make it sweat and then swipe. I keep doing that until the washcloth wipes nothing out. Rather gross how much crap comes off the face even when you don't wear a speck of makeup. It does make me wonder how much pollution contributes to skin cancers and accelerated age. But that is another thread.

The only problem is that I notice a lot of "almost pimples" coming off my cheek area.

I would like to avoid cheek breakouts if that is whats happening next, but if this is a great clearing of the pores I don't want to avoid that.

I only seem to need face lotions every otherday with this type of facial cleansing. I rotate youth as we know it and alpha hydroxy 10%.

Anyone use this method for years? ( no cleanser, only water)
My cheeks feel like a baby's!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 07:48 AM

5,073 posts, read 4,352,003 times
I can't use this method exclusively, because I do wear make-up and have to use something at night for removal. In the mornings, though, I have recently started simply splashing my face with water (usually warm or cool, not hot) instead of sudsing up with my regular cleanser. I have break-outs and wanted to determine whether this method would be more beneficial, as I read that some cleansers for acne-prone skin could actually over-stimulate the sebaceous glands and exacerbate the problem. As it happens, my skin has cleared up, and I no longer use that product to clean my face at night. I have switched to a different evening cleanser that is much gentler and not specifically for oily/acne-prone skin, and continue to just use water in the mornings. It seems to be helping!

Old 03-03-2010, 08:04 AM

830 posts, read 2,450,573 times
I don't even do that much.

My face gets washed from the humidity, steam, and incidental spray in the shower and any dirt gets towel dried off. If I were to put any kind of soap on my face I'd have an allergic reaction. Even intentional washing with water and a washcloth would cause enough dryness to turn my face bright red and inflamed. Lotion is a no-go. Never found even a "hypoallergenic" one that didn't cause a problem.

My method works fine as far as cleanliness for me. But I don't wear make up and I'm not acne prone.

Old 03-06-2010, 05:32 PM

122 posts, read 298,692 times
as an adult with the occasional pimple and longterm acne scar problems, i say washing with your face with warm water and some type of facewash (i use neutrogena) is the best way to get rid of all the gunk on your face. scalding hot water is bad; it should be pretty warm but not too hot. after washing your face, splash it with cold water to close your pores. then use a toner (you can get non-alcohol ones, like thayer's witch hazel toner) to get rid of the hard water residue. then apply a moisturizer. this works for me, and i have oily skin.

Old 03-06-2010, 05:57 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,769,360 times
I wash my face with warm water- not too hot, and not too cold. And, I use Kiehls products.

Old 03-06-2010, 06:05 PM

522 posts, read 1,276,055 times
I can't use hot water, it's too harsh on my skin.

I'll use warm water with a facial cleanser (loving Clean & Clears Morning Burst. I have tiny pores except around my nose and I don't see my pores anymore.), but once I'm done cleaning off the cleanser I go over it once more with really cold water. I get compliments all the time on my skin and complexion.

Old 03-06-2010, 11:04 PM

1,895 posts, read 5,395,476 times
If I happen to be wearing long-lasting make-up (mascara, eye liner), I take that make-up off with a face cream of any kind (usually Oil of Olay, but not always), and then wash with warm water and a facecloth- no cleansers/soaps/facewash/etc.. If I am not wearing much make-up, I just go with the water and washcloth. Works well for me... and I have been doing that routine for.. well, decades.

Old 03-06-2010, 11:15 PM

522 posts, read 1,276,055 times
For those who don't use soap/cleanser when washing, does your face feel clean?

I rarely ever wear makeup so it's not the issue of that, but I find that if I don't use a cleanser my face doesn't feel clean enough, like I'm not getting all of the oil and dirty from the day off of my face. I don't use soap because it's too harsh for my skin and tends to try it out.

Old 03-07-2010, 02:18 PM

25,082 posts, read 14,727,970 times
I use lukewarm or as cold as possible. Cold water closes pours, warm opens them, but hot may be too harsh.

Old 03-07-2010, 05:41 PM

21,981 posts, read 31,111,636 times
I have a friend who does that, she only uses warm water and a wash cloth to wash her face. I tried it, but I wear too much makeup, it did not take my make up off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty