U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 11:50 AM

8,415 posts, read 34,319,158 times

Advertisements

I have been seeing this around ladies...the oddly plucked brow.

When you are young your skin may hold the brows in place better but when you start to age (and this can happen at any age after adulthood, usually after 21) the eye area gets loose.

So yeh..tell you something you don't know already right?

But what I see is it looks like people scrunch up the face into a tiny mirror and then pluck away without and "guides". This results in mishaped and uneven brows. If you have the lines in place you won't be accidently plucking where you should not upon making squinch face and moving your brow.

DRAW YOUR GUIDES ON BEFORE PLUCKING ALWAYS.

You only need:
brown or black eyeliner
white eyeliner (or a very light brown if you have dark skin)

follow this vid for placement:

YouTube - Basic Eyebrows Tutorial
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 12:13 PM

2,638 posts, read 10,493,004 times
I pluck my brows without drawing them in or making an outline around them or anything, I wouldn't want that stuff in contact with broken skin. I am pretty good at making them as symmetrical as possible, but I have a scar through one eyebrow so I have to tolerate some imperfection in their symmetry. (I have never found a brow pencil that would draw smoothly over the scar or a brow powder that would stick to it.)

My tip is to make sure to apply a gentle antiseptic after you finish. I knew a woman once who got an infection from plucking and it was nasty, nasty and left her scarred. Don't use (or let your SO use!) your eyebrow tweezers to pull nose hairs, when you use them on your brows again it can transfer staph bacteria to your freshly plucked follicles.

Old 03-03-2010, 12:26 PM

I always wash my face/hands before & after plucking. Tools before using because I leave it on the back of the sink because I am so afraid of eye infections.

I would say I see the biggest "oopsie" on that center inner line. It seems a lot of people are plucking at an angle or something. And sometimes that translates to the tail area. They make one too short or force an a shape that looks harsh and brings out the scowl muscle rather than soften it.

p.s. I do sharpen my pencils before use when doing this. I am sure that can help with the clean factor. I wash my sharpener between uses.

Old 03-06-2010, 06:40 PM

19,122 posts, read 21,362,274 times
My wife used to pluck her brows but no more. I told her I didn't like the thin wire line she seemed to like, and that i would prefer a softer look, and she let them just be ala natural, which I think looks great on her.

Old 03-06-2010, 06:43 PM

42,565 posts, read 42,398,375 times
I pluck but was told to comb it first shape it...and only pluck under the brow..not on top.

Old 03-07-2010, 02:24 PM

25,084 posts, read 13,910,330 times
I totally cannot pluck, it looks like it hurts. But I like a full brow and I follow the natural shape of mine with a razor for the brow.

Old 03-08-2010, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
I pluck but was told to comb it first shape it...and only pluck under the brow..not on top.
Some people need to pluck on top too. I see that mistake as well. Also some people skip the sides above the tail. Most dark haired people have a few trailers running up the side that need to be plucked.

Old 03-08-2010, 10:09 AM

10,116 posts, read 16,713,055 times
I do my own. I wouldn't trust anybody else to wax or shape my brow. I have naturally full brows that just need a little "help."

I pluck underneath the brow line and use one of those eyebrow razors for the sides and top. Never had an infection problem or used eyeliner guides.

Old 03-08-2010, 10:17 AM

5,065 posts, read 13,268,624 times
I've always felt a little envious of women who had enough eyebrows to pluck; mine are pale blonde and barely there. I have to lightly fill them in with a little eyebrow pencil. After reading this thread though, I guess maybe my wimpy eyebrows aren't such a bad thing after all. I never knew people could get an infection just from plucking.

Old 03-08-2010, 04:34 PM

522 posts, read 1,208,317 times
I don't use a guide, but my eyebrows aren't bushy and everywhere either.
Mine are naturally shaped perfectly for my face. Every now and then I'd go in and pluck a few stray ones to make it look neater. Other than that I don't do much plucking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty