Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2010, 12:22 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,337,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Since there have been scientific studies done on the issue, I'll go with what they had to say.
I'd love to see them, cause I've certainly not seen anything to that effect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 12:25 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
I can't say I recall which magazine I was reading that talked about it. Possibly Psychology Today. I don't have much faith in things posted online.

Old 03-08-2010, 12:43 PM

3,688 posts, read 5,011,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
As this thread clearly shows, mens tastes vary. Some guys get hot over short skirts, others like professional wear. So, this justification of yours to act like an a$$ is not limited to your tastes, is it? And if it's not, then you're pretty much saying men have a right to lear, whistle, etc at any woman depending on what gets them off. Yes, the universe and everyone in it revolves around your penis. mmm kay.

eta: now if I'm misunderstanding something, please forgive. But that's how it's reading to me.

You are, in fact, misunderstanding quite badly, because that was sarcasm on my part, except for the doot-brain portion. Quite obviously men need to show restraint and handle themselves with some modicum of dignity as well as exercising mutual respect toward others, women or not. It's what separates us from apes.

However, pretending that the onus is entirely on men while women have absolutely free rein is beyond ludicrous. I'll say that again (me and my universal penis around which all things revolve): Beyond ludicrous.

I believe fully that just as men are required to rein it in, to show restraint, to exercise self-control, so women need to do the same. I believe FULLY in the goose/gander mode of behaviour -- and that is NOT sarcasm.

And in case you weren't aware, the gander is the male; ergo, what's good for the goose is good for the gander, while historically meaning that a little housework never hurt any man, stands just as well when placed in the light of if you gals can get away with acting like it's a free-for-all, so can we.

I find it ludicrous and infallibly stupid that if a man is made uncomfortable by a woman's mode of dress he needs to grow up, while if a woman is made uncomfortable by a man's behaviour once more HE needs to grow up.

Old 03-08-2010, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Well, that's not the point now is it? Try again.
So women can catcall, but men can't. Women can look and giggle--but men can't look and guffaw? Both genders need to dress modestly--or face the consequences.

Old 03-08-2010, 02:08 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,186,569 times
I don't think anyone should attempt to figure out the differences between men and women As a man I too have struggled with the push - pull of wanting to look yet pretending not to notice as one tries to follow the rules of the "game."

"Looking at cleavage is like looking at the sun, you don't stare at it. It's too risky. You get a sense of it and then you look away." - Jerry Seinfeld

Old 03-08-2010, 03:51 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,955,711 times
Quote:
So women can catcall, but men can't. Women can look and giggle--but men can't look and guffaw? Both genders need to dress modestly--or face the consequences.

Some one sent me rep, but the word was Huh?
Well guys can and do be tacky.

In the case of a women wearing tacky out in public I will look all I want, cat call to, if it amuses me, and if she gets pissed so what?

I expect the same. Seems fair.

Old 03-08-2010, 04:07 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,182,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Sasquatch View Post
You are, in fact, misunderstanding quite badly, because that was sarcasm on my part, except for the doot-brain portion. Quite obviously men need to show restraint and handle themselves with some modicum of dignity as well as exercising mutual respect toward others, women or not. It's what separates us from apes.
Ok, I thought I might. Big sorry. I tend to be slow on the uptake with sarcasm on the net, hence the disclaimer.

Quote:
However, pretending that the onus is entirely on men while women have absolutely free rein is beyond ludicrous. I'll say that again (me and my universal penis around which all things revolve): Beyond ludicrous.

I believe fully that just as men are required to rein it in, to show restraint, to exercise self-control, so women need to do the same. I believe FULLY in the goose/gander mode of behaviour -- and that is NOT sarcasm.
Well, I wasn't too far off then. Ya know, men in the middle east believe women should reign it in as well. Reign it right into a burka.Why would you be right and them wrong? Clearly, attire is a matter of personal taste and is always subjective. There isn't a line in the sand to be drawn despite what you and others believe. An argument could easily be made about anything in public regarding exposure and hiding. For example, why must any of us be subjected to men that walk around without shirts? Why must we have to view your legs in shorts? The person next to you might have a leg fetish and simply would be better off without the temptation. Sure, that sounds silly because the argument is silly period. From you, me, or anybody else.

Quote:
And in case you weren't aware, the gander is the male; ergo, what's good for the goose is good for the gander, while historically meaning that a little housework never hurt any man, stands just as well when placed in the light of if you gals can get away with acting like it's a free-for-all, so can we.

Actually, no you cannot. I'm quite conservative, but if I run across a male that appreciates my conservative dress and expresses this by getting in my space (physically or verbally), I will ring the police and take precious time from your day.

Quote:
I find it ludicrous and infallibly stupid that if a man is made uncomfortable by a woman's mode of dress he needs to grow up, while if a woman is made uncomfortable by a man's behaviour once more HE needs to grow up.
Behavior is an action event. Dress is not. It's not that complicated.

Quote:
Why isn't it the point? Is there some sort of double standard you're running here?

A man who dresses immodestly is just as bad. There's no need for him to go out wearing a Speedo...and nothing else.
Quote:
No, that's not it at all. The justification of behavior based on passive visual stimuli is assinine.

Old 03-08-2010, 05:03 PM

My point still stands, immodest dress should be prohibited in public--both for males and females. Until it is, it will continue to be frowned upon, looked down upon--no matter what gender the guilty party is.

Old 03-08-2010, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Sasquatch View Post

If a woman is made uncomfortable by a man's behavior, then SHE needs to grow up. Or start dressing and acting like a decent person instead of a tramp.

Old 03-08-2010, 05:06 PM

2,794 posts, read 3,677,046 times
Women are always welcome to show off their mini-micros or peekaboos, whenever they feel the need to wear some clothes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty