U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 04-30-2010, 09:05 AM
 
10 posts, read 11,546 times
Reputation: 18

Advertisements

Tattoos don't seem to be something that can "go out of style"; they've been around for many millenniums.

 
Old 04-30-2010, 10:13 AM
 
Location: Up in the air
19,127 posts, read 14,848,553 times
Reputation: 15761
Quote:
Originally Posted by socstudent View Post
They are out of style, no one with any class would ever get one.
Aaaaand here we go again
 
Old 04-30-2010, 03:01 PM
 
Location: Bradenton, Florida
27,237 posts, read 26,829,104 times
Reputation: 10592
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Do people with class make sweeping generalizations about groups of people they don't know?

Please work on your ignorance.
Actually, ALL people make sweeping generalizations about people they don't know.

So...to answer your question...yes.
 
Old 04-30-2010, 06:44 PM
 
229 posts, read 550,787 times
Reputation: 137
Tattoos will never go out of style, if anything more and more people won't have an issue with them. Time was 25, 30 years ago athletes weren't allowed to show them while playing sports. I think it was the great Roger Maris who had said back in the 70's that tattoos would make the game look trashy. Today there are HIGH SCHOOL athletes who sport almost if not more tattoos than Ozzy Osbourne.

While tattoos are becoming more and more common, thats not to say more and more people may get one. For starters tattoos aren't cheap and many tattoo artists make tons of money. Last year I was watching an old video tape of MTV's Headbangers Ball from 1988. On that show Slash from Guns & Roses was asked by the host Riki Ratchman how much he had paid to get inked up. Slash said about $300 while Riki paid $400. Both guys even then had the sleves up and down their arms and everything. Today I would imagine that same amount of artwork would be well into the thousands.
 
Old 04-30-2010, 06:58 PM
 
5,019 posts, read 9,140,680 times
Reputation: 6748
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy J. View Post
For starters tattoos aren't cheap
Interesting point.

Has this thread run it's course and may I hijack?

But, it always has intrigued me.... why are tattoos so often seen on the working and poorer classes?

I'm a little embarassed to ask this . It's really not a judgement. I don't mind tattoos and as an artist myself often find them fascinating. I really love it when someone has a great story behind his or her ink.

I'm just wondering why and how a person makiing say, 10 bucks an hour (in this economy) justifies the expense? Versus, say groceries or gasoline (or movies or video games ) ? How do you fit this into your budget?

And, yes, I am aware that many of you with body art are way way way above that level financially . But this question really isn't aimed at y'all. I'm more interesting in responses from folks who may have to give up something else ( a vacation or a new car for instance) in order to get some new work done.

Anyone?
 
Old 04-30-2010, 07:54 PM
 
Location: Albuquerque, NM
13,302 posts, read 6,706,819 times
Reputation: 6516
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
Interesting point.

Has this thread run it's course and may I hijack?

But, it always has intrigued me.... why are tattoos so often seen on the working and poorer classes?

I'm a little embarassed to ask this . It's really not a judgement. I don't mind tattoos and as an artist myself often find them fascinating. I really love it when someone has a great story behind his or her ink.

I'm just wondering why and how a person makiing say, 10 bucks an hour (in this economy) justifies the expense? Versus, say groceries or gasoline (or movies or video games ) ? How do you fit this into your budget?

And, yes, I am aware that many of you with body art are way way way above that level financially . But this question really isn't aimed at y'all. I'm more interesting in responses from folks who may have to give up something else ( a vacation or a new car for instance) in order to get some new work done.

Anyone?
I've got a few thousand dollars worth of art on my body, and I've always been poorer than I am rich.

The reason for me is a simple one. I'd rather have a tattoo than a car, or whatever else I could have spent that money on. I'm not a materialistic type of person. I rarely buy anything. Most of my regular expenses are for necessities (rent, food, etc). When I do spend money I spend it on things that are important to me, not some crap I saw an advertisement for.
 
Old 04-30-2010, 08:02 PM
 
5,019 posts, read 9,140,680 times
Reputation: 6748
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
I've got a few thousand dollars worth of art on my body, and I've always been poorer than I am rich.

The reason for me is a simple one. I'd rather have a tattoo than a car, or whatever else I could have spent that money on. I'm not a materialistic type of person. I rarely buy anything. Most of my regular expenses are for necessities (rent, food, etc). When I do spend money I spend it on things that are important to me, not some crap I saw an advertisement for.
I can totally relate. I spend my $$$ on bicycles and food and cooking gear.

Thanks! Hope to hear from others!
 
Old 04-30-2010, 09:02 PM
 
16,152 posts, read 6,202,873 times
Reputation: 3271
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
Interesting point.

Has this thread run it's course and may I hijack?

But, it always has intrigued me.... why are tattoos so often seen on the working and poorer classes?

I'm a little embarassed to ask this . It's really not a judgement. I don't mind tattoos and as an artist myself often find them fascinating. I really love it when someone has a great story behind his or her ink.

I'm just wondering why and how a person makiing say, 10 bucks an hour (in this economy) justifies the expense? Versus, say groceries or gasoline (or movies or video games ) ? How do you fit this into your budget?

And, yes, I am aware that many of you with body art are way way way above that level financially . But this question really isn't aimed at y'all. I'm more interesting in responses from folks who may have to give up something else ( a vacation or a new car for instance) in order to get some new work done.

Anyone?
plaidmom, I agree with you.....I have tried to say that....but....

But someone on this board had completely blew me out of the water and has said I am wrong and has tried to prove it with graphs and big words to prove they are correct......

I wonder........... since you have grouped humans into 2, (working and poorer classes) I wonder if they will try to do the same thing to you as they has done to me...............Try to prove you wrong............(all I said was most people)

However, since you have been answered, by that person and NOT corrected....I have to wonder...............if that person just picks and chooses....hummmm................

 
Old 04-30-2010, 10:09 PM
 
Location: Albuquerque, NM
13,302 posts, read 6,706,819 times
Reputation: 6516
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
plaidmom, I agree with you.....I have tried to say that....but....

But someone on this board had completely blew me out of the water and has said I am wrong and has tried to prove it with graphs and big words to prove they are correct......

I wonder........... since you have grouped humans into 2, (working and poorer classes) I wonder if they will try to do the same thing to you as they has done to me...............Try to prove you wrong............(all I said was most people)

However, since you have been answered, by that person and NOT corrected....I have to wonder...............if that person just picks and chooses....hummmm................
You can look at plaidmom's post and your post and see that there is a difference in what you said.



Here I go again

In plaidmom's post she asked the following type of question:

Why are bumper stickers most often seen on trucks and vans?

In this instance there are plenty of other types of automobiles that could exist. Sports cars and station wagons for example. She is saying that bumper stickers are found more often on trucks and vans than on all other types of automobiles.

In your post you created this (much different) situation:

Most automobiles are vans...the automobiles that are not vans are station wagons.

In this instance, you're creating a situation where trucks and station wagons are the ONLY types of automobiles that exist. But, since JetJockey was a sports car, that proved that the situation you created was false.

If you don't understand this by now then I can only assume that you are not mentally capable of it or that you have no desire to. If one of those assumptions are not the reason, then feel free to fill me in on what the reason is.
 
Old 05-01-2010, 09:19 AM
 
9,856 posts, read 7,777,988 times
Reputation: 5319
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Actually, ALL people make sweeping generalizations about people they don't know.

So...to answer your question...yes.
If you want to justify your poor behavior that way, go ahead.

Don't push your own faults onto other people though.

Saying 'everyone does it' isn't a good excuse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top