Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2010, 05:49 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
I can assure you that most men find a tramp stamp on a girls lower back a turn off.....yes, they may overlook it and use the girl for a one night stand but they certainly aren't bringing her home to meet mom and dad. I can also offer that seeing someone scarred with a tattoo doesn't make you feel superior....sadly it generally provokes feelings sorrow for the wearer who made a bad decision and now has to live with the consequences. Lots of young people make bad decisions that they later regret.....whether it be drunken driving that results in an accident or a tattoo to be part of the crowd or to be cool.....we all make bad decisions so theres no use feeling superior just because your particular bad decision doesn't include a tattoo.
Really? Because I know quite a few girls with 'tramp stamps' and many are married and have kids. My hubby had no problems bringing me home to meet his parents because they didn't judge me on my tattoos. They saw that I was a college educated woman with a very good job who loved their son and that was enough for them.

I've lost 2 friends to drunk drivers in the past few years so I don't think that's a great comparison. How has my getting tattoos created issues for anyone but myself? The fact that I have tattoos doesn't affect anyone else. And just because getting a tattoo would be a bad decision for one person doesn't mean everyone feels the same way.

Old 06-07-2010, 05:50 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
It marks the wearer as less than intelligent and somewhat abnormal.
One wonders how I ever managed to graduate from college with honors or become successful as a journalist and educator, or someone whom parents entrust with the care and instruction of their children. It's really pretty amazing.

Also, I consciously (and...SOBERLY!!!) chose to get the dreaded "tramp stamp," albeit years before the term was coined...it made sense to me, then, and makes sense to me now...it's a spot that's both easily concealed and easily displayed, depending on the setting and my preference, so it's versatile, and the only other spot on my body that's similar in that regard, the spot in between my shoulderblades, was already taken up with an earlier tattoo.

My boyfriend, whom I met years after getting my tattoos, obviously didn't find either to be a turnoff, although he is decidedly anti-tattoos for himself and would never in a million years consider getting any (nor could I see it, it's just not him). If our relationship is a "tramp stamped one night stand," then it's one that's been going on for three and a half years. Our "meet the parents" moments were early on in our relationship, and his parents, siblings, and grandparents all adore me, despite the scandalousness of having a quarter-sized shamrock between my shoulderblades, and a three-inch claddagh at the base of my tailbone, the crown of which may occasionally show over the waist of my jeans if I'm reaching for something stored on a high shelf or doing yoga. Shockingly, they could care less.

Last edited by TabulaRasa; 06-07-2010 at 06:01 PM..

Old 06-07-2010, 06:02 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,647,423 times
Quote:
"Body Modification Industry"....... Just saying that sounds absurd
I could see the TV commercial now, "The body modification industry needs you. Be a tattoo artist, or look just like one. Get off the couch and call now!"

Old 06-07-2010, 06:06 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
One wonders how I ever managed to graduate from college with honors or become successful as a journalist and educator, or someone whom parents entrust with the care and instruction of their children. It's really pretty amazing.

Also, I consciously (and...SOBERLY!!!) chose to get the dreaded "tramp stamp," albeit years before the term was coined...it made sense to me, then, and makes sense to me now...it's a spot that's both easily concealed and easily displayed, depending on the setting and my preference, so it's versatile, and the only other spot on my body that's similar in that regard, the spot in between my shoulderblades, was already taken up with an earlier tattoo.

My boyfriend, whom I met years after getting my tattoos, obviously didn't find either to be a turnoff, although he is decidedly anti-tattoos for himself and would never in a million years consider getting any (nor could I see it, it's just not him). If our relationship is a "tramp stamped one night stand," then it's one that's been going on for three and a half years. Our "meet the parents" moments were early on in our relationship, and his parents, siblings, and grandparents all adore me, despite the scandalousness of having a quarter-sized shamrock between my shoulderblades, and a three-inch claddagh at the base of my tailbone, the crown of which may occasionally show over the waist of my jeans if I'm reaching for something stored on a high shelf or doing yoga. Shockingly, they could care less.
I MUST go get a tat, like yesterday!
DD got her first one today, its gorgeous!

Old 06-07-2010, 06:37 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,304,138 times
Quote:
I can assure you that most men find a tramp stamp on a girls lower back a turn off.....yes, they may overlook it and use the girl for a one night stand but they certainly aren't bringing her home to meet mom and dad.
My girlfriend, who has a lower back tattoo, has met my mother, my brother, my sister, my niece, my nephews, and my grandfather. She's also has a PhD in Clinical Neuroscience and currently heads a lab at an Ivy League university. There is very little doubt in my mind that she is more intelligent than any non-tattooed person that I know.

Old 06-07-2010, 06:41 PM

14,108 posts, read 2,774,068 times
I love my guys tattoos, he has 2 sleeves, mostly consisting of my name Michelle Lisa.

Old 06-07-2010, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulips4you2 View Post
I love my guys tattoos, he has 2 sleeves, mostly consisting of my name Michelle Lisa.
Tried to rep you......

Old 06-07-2010, 07:24 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,304,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Get a life will ya? Smiles convey emotions or humor in picture form rather than words. Like this.......
How's that different than expressing something via a picture on your skin?

Old 06-07-2010, 07:25 PM

1,233 posts, read 2,825,735 times
Quote:
"Body Modification Industry"....... Just saying that sounds absurd
With 20k+ parlors in the US alone, I'd dare say that tattooing, piercing, and other such procedures are an industry. Major body modification publications agree.

I'd suggest that we post our ink in here, but then we might get recognized by it whenever we do a drive-by.

Old 06-07-2010, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emi__ View Post

i'd suggest that we post our ink in here, but then we might get recognized by it whenever we do a drive-by.
lol!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty