Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2010, 08:28 PM

30,891 posts, read 36,937,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie73 View Post
And your point is?
The point about almost all prison inmates having tatoos shows that a lot of people with tatoos have emotional problems. True, most people with tatoos have not been to prison....but as another poster said, there's a higher probability they've got some serious emotional issues or imabalances or whatever you want to call it.

Old 06-17-2010, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Apparently, if you get a tattoo, you're automatically a criminal
No need for sarcasm and no need to go to extemes or speak in absolute terms. I didn't say or imply this in my original post, and no one else has either (at least in the posts I've read...and this thread is so long I haven't read all of them).

But the probability of having serious emotional issues goes up with the more ink you've got. I think that's a fair statement. I'm sure you won't agree, though, so no need to respond further since we'll just to 'round in circles.

Last edited by mysticaltyger; 06-17-2010 at 08:46 PM..

Old 06-17-2010, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Are you really this judgemental? The mere fact that you would say this about someone based on physical appearance makes you a low life.
But this is an aspect of appearance that a person has control over. It's not like eye color or skin tone.

A tatoo is a reflection of a person's attutide toward life (or at least that person's attitude/outlook at the time they got it). As I mentioned in another post, it's a reflection of what's going on in a person's subconsious mind....and in many instances it's an indicator that something is "off" to some degree or other.

To me, at the very least, it's a sign that the person doesn't really like their body the way it is. It's a kind of disrespect. I know the person with the tatoo doesn't see it that way. They'd probably say that it can be the ultimate sign of respect. I disagee. I think those who have tatoos don't really understand the meaning of true respect (or at least they didn't at the time they got the tatoo).

Old 06-17-2010, 08:39 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
The point about almost all prison inmates having tatoos shows that a lot of people with tatoos have emotional problems. True, most people with tatoos have not been to prison....but as another poster said, there's a higher probability they've got some serious emotional issues or imabalances or whatever you want to call it.
The same could be said for people without tats.....we brought up Ted Bundy already.

Old 06-17-2010, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
The same could be said for people without tats.....we brought up Ted Bundy already.
Well, it's like anything....it's not about absolutes, its about the odds. It's an indicator. In the same way that if you smoke, chances are you're going to die a lot younger than an average non-smoker.

And whenever the topic of smoking comes up in a group, somebody will chime in and say "My Aunt Brenda smoked and lived to age 90 and my Uncle Al lived totally healthy and died at age 60. It's all genetics." blah, blah, blah.

The point is, a crminial like Ted Bundy (without a tatoo) is the exception that proves the rule (that most criminals have them).

Old 06-17-2010, 08:51 PM

Quote:

To me, at the very least, it's a sign that the person doesn't really like their body the way it is.
In the case of women, show me a woman that likes her body, and I'll show you a liar.
I could post links all day, but I would be going off-topic, which I am doing right now, so I will zip it, as this really has nothing to do with the OP's premise of this thread, and I will respect that.

Old 06-17-2010, 08:57 PM

1,233 posts, read 2,824,608 times
Mystical, it's "tattoo," not "tatoo."

No, I don't really like my body. That's not me being emotionally whacked, that's just me being honest. And there are changes I can make to my body that will make me much more comfortable in my own skin.

Is it so wrong to want to change something you own to make it more aesthetically pleasing to you?

Old 06-17-2010, 09:04 PM

1,233 posts, read 2,824,608 times
Quote:
A tatoo is a reflection of a person's attutide toward life (or at least that person's attitude/outlook at the time they got it). As I mentioned in another post, it's a reflection of what's going on in a person's subconsious mind....and in many instances it's an indicator that something is "off" to some degree or other.
What kind of whacked psychological philosophy do you belong to?

I want a floral half-sleeve, but I don't secretly want to be a flower. I want a coral reef half-sleeve on the other arm, I don't want to be a fish. My boyfriend wants a sleeve full of tentacles... but he might really want to be a squid, he's weird like that.

The point is, tattoos aren't necessarily an indication of a psychological symptom of some sort.

Old 06-17-2010, 09:18 PM

^ Exactly! Just because I want a fleur dis lis on my back, doesnt mean I have a Louis XVI complex!

Old 06-17-2010, 10:01 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,201,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
According to these randomly selected polls, facts and opinion paint the story that Tattoo's and other body vandalism are not acceptable to the general public.

Millennials' Judgments About Recent Trends Not So Different - Pew Research Center

Point of view: Is body art in or out?

http://www.fda.gov/downloads/ForCons.../ucm048941.pdf

Increase in Tattoos Not Popular With General Public - Asylum.com

Primate Headache: People Against Tattoos (PAT)

Tattoo Facts & Statistics - real info on tattoos and tattooing - What you need to know.

Do I need more to back up my statements that tattoo's are an abnormal behavior? No, I don't think so since I've made my point here..........
I only took the time to read the first one, the Pew Research report. Found it very interesting and I was surprised to see such large percentages in all age groups that said it was a change for the worse. Had no idea anyone had done any research that included attitudes towards tattoos. Now I don't feel so "out of the loop".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty