Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 03:16 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,869,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie100 View Post
But don't you feel like crap the next day?
Not necessarily, no. Over the last week, I was drinking a lot since my brother and his wife were visiting so we were celebrating a lot - not once did I have a hangover. Because I know my limits and I know how to pace my drinking.

I'm 27 and I just recently got carded in England where the drinking age is 18. So clearly I can still pass for 10 years younger than I am despite my drinking. As long as I'm not an alcoholic, I don't feel my drinking is harming my body.

Quote:
I'm not sociable .... For fun I'd rather stay home alone and play with my makeup stash!
That doesn't sound very psychologically healthy. Human beings need social interaction to maintain a healthy psyche. Hurting your psyche is no better than hurting your body.

Old 04-05-2010, 03:20 AM

1,215 posts, read 2,959,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post

That doesn't sound very psychologically healthy. Human beings need social interaction to maintain a healthy psyche. Hurting your psyche is no better than hurting your body.
Not necessarily, some people are more introverted than others and don't require as much or hardly any social interaction. Not every individual is the same. Some require less social interaction than others.

What I meant is that I do talk to people on various message boards but I just enjoy staying home by myself. What's wrong with that? Not everyone enjoys partying.

Old 04-05-2010, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Not necessarily, some people are more introverted than others and don't require as much or hardly any social interaction. Not every individual is the same. Some require less social interaction than others.
I consider myself an introvert too - but I still need SOME social interaction and I consider it fun when in the right mood.

Quote:
What I meant is that I do talk to people on various message boards but I just enjoy staying home by myself. What's wrong with that? Not everyone enjoys partying.
Message boards? Well, obviously I use them too - but if they are your ONLY means of social interaction, that is NOT healthy. It's one thing to need less social interaction than an extrovert, it's another to hole yourself up at home and only talk to people on the internet. If you can't see what is wrong with that, I worry your case is more severe than I originally thought. I'm not saying you have to go out to binge drinking parties and get wasted but a get together with friends and possibly some casual drinking wouldn't hurt you. I just hope you have friends to socialize more with... but from what you've said, I worry that you don't.

Old 04-05-2010, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
I consider myself an introvert too - but I still need SOME social interaction and I consider it fun when in the right mood.

Message boards? Well, obviously I use them too - but if they are your ONLY means of social interaction, that is NOT healthy. It's one thing to need less social interaction than an extrovert, it's another to hole yourself up at home and only talk to people on the internet. If you can't see what is wrong with that, I worry your case is more severe than I originally thought. I'm not saying you have to go out to binge drinking parties and get wasted but a get together with friends and possibly some casual drinking wouldn't hurt you. I just hope you have friends to socialize more with... but from what you've said, I worry that you don't.
I have socialized with people before. Right now not as much because I am busy with things but yes, I have had a friend before that I used to hang out with, go to movies with etc.

The point is not whether I'm normal or not, or if I have enough social interactions. I guess the point is that drugs and drinking is kind of useless, from my point of view. It doesn't serve a purpose, even if it's "fun".

Old 04-05-2010, 05:01 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,182,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
Oh,absolutely you are correct ! We are all better off not indulging in any of the vices..Drinking , smoking, or doing drugs.. Good for you, just remember not too many people are as puritanical as you!! You may be alone in your quest for a better appearance thru abstinence ..
Quote:
I am not puritanical at all. I don't believe in abstinence. I am very open-minded. I think women should be able to enjoy sex as freely as they want without being labeled as "sluts".

Sex is good for you. It improves your appearance because it gives you a sense of well-being. It's physical activity and it also releases stress and tension and it's free (at least for me it is). So I indulge in sex as much as I can. it doesn't age me or harm my body in any way (safe sex).

Drugs and alcohol on the other hand is just pointless. They harm your looks. Sex doesn't harm your looks, you look better afterwards (glow to the skin).

Funny thing is, the cosmetic company Nars even has a blush called "Orgasm", blush to simulate the glow after orgasm. Also, sex is free (for me) and doesn't hurt my finances. It doesn't take away from money that I could be spending on myself but drugs and alcohol does.
I don't think he was talking about sex and in more understandable terms for you it would probably be best if he used "prude" instead of puritanical. His post had nothing to do with sex. I think some of those makeup fumes are clouding your comprehension.

Old 04-05-2010, 05:10 AM

4,279 posts, read 10,361,498 times
Personally I prefer inner beauty, and a good personality. You can keep the expensive purses, clothing, etc. I'd rather sit with friends and enjoy a good bottle of wine. Can't beat that!

Now drugs and over indulgence of alcohol I am against. Unfortunately, sometimes life throws people a curve ball. I find it better to be a little more understanding and less superficial.

It's all about balance.

Old 04-05-2010, 05:20 AM

Quote:
I have socialized with people before. Right now not as much because I am busy with things but yes, I have had a friend before that I used to hang out with, go to movies with etc.
You used to have ONE friend? That's still not exactly healthy. I can sympathize with being busy... but not only is your lack of socialization unhealthy, so is your lack of a close, human bond.

Quote:
The point is not whether I'm normal or not, or if I have enough social interactions.
Perhaps it wasn't your original point but for your own sake, I hope you realize how unhealthy your current lifestyle is for your psyche and emotional state of mind and will make steps to correct it in the future. It's not about being "normal" or not, it's about being emotionally and psychologically healthy. For someone so concerned with being physically healthy, you don't seem very concerned with being emotionally and psychologically healthy. Probably because your concern with being physically healthy is purely superficial - you only want to be physically healthy so you physically look good.

Quote:
I guess the point is that drugs and drinking is kind of useless, from my point of view. It doesn't serve a purpose, even if it's "fun".
And like I say, a lot of people feel that material things like designer handbags equally do not serve a purpose, even if it does "look good".

Old 04-05-2010, 05:33 AM

5,987 posts, read 11,672,964 times
Quote:
At least I'm not doing anything illegal. There is no law that says you can't buy new blush or mascara etc. There is no law against vanity. There is against drugs.
While I admire you for a drug and alcohol free lifestyle I think you should realize there is no law against using you extra money to help others. Do you know how many people go to bed hungry every night? You sound like you don't care much about people who are not dressed and made up well enough to meet your standards. How about animals who are abused to test your makeup? Never mind, a lot of animals are just plain ugly. They could not possibly meet your exacting standards. Maybe you should hire a couple of people to walk around with you and tell you how good you look and help the unemployment situation. That way when gravity sets in you will have people lie to you while you lie to yourself.

Old 04-05-2010, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by studedude View Post
While I admire you for a drug and alcohol free lifestyle I think you should realize there is no law against using you extra money to help others. Do you know how many people go to bed hungry every night? You sound like you don't care much about people who are not dressed and made up well enough to meet your standards. How about animals who are abused to test your makeup? Never mind, a lot of animals are just plain ugly. They could not possibly meet your exacting standards. Maybe you should hire a couple of people to walk around with you and tell you how good you look and help the unemployment situation. That way when gravity sets in you will have people lie to you while you lie to yourself.
Uh, you can say the same thing about people who waste money on partying. drinking and drugs? Do you how how may children in Africa someone's alcohol consumption can feed? Or the same thing for people who spend all their money on drugs?

What are you singling me out to help others?

What you are saying doesn't make sense because EVERYONE spends money on something that could be instead be used to "feed the poor". How about your flat screen tv? That could feed the poor too. Same for your vacation. Or how about that time you went out to eat in a restaurant? That could have been used to help the needy too..

SO WHAT IS YOUR POINT?

EVERYTHING that we spend money on could have been used to help somebody. So what?

Who are you to judge that conspicuous consumption is less worthy than spending it on drugs or alcohol? Why aren't you berating people who waste their money on drugs and drinking? Their money could be used to help "the needy ones" too, right?

Last edited by jackie100; 04-05-2010 at 05:58 AM..

Old 04-05-2010, 06:07 AM

5,987 posts, read 11,672,964 times
Quote:
What are you singling me out to help others?

What you are saying doesn't make sense because EVERYONE spends money on something that could be instead be used to "feed the poor". How about your flat screen tv? That could feed the poor too. Same for your vacation. Or how about that time you went out to eat in a restaurant? That could have been used to help the needy too..

SO WHAT IS YOUR POINT?

EVERYTHING that we spend money on could have been used to help somebody. So what?
First, I didn't single you out. You started this thread I'm just following the direction that it is going. As for me, yes I have 1 flat screen TV. I have not taken a vacation since 1994. That's not a complaint just a fact. I do eat at restaurants 2 or 3 times a week. My wife has a very restrictive diet. We find eating at IHOP (buy 1 get 1 free) is no more expensive than preparing 2 different meals at home. We have also given 15%, or more, of our gross income to charities for more years than you have lived.

My point is that you are so self centered (I read some of your other posts) you could not possibly think of helping others. Maybe age will change you. I have socks older than 32. If not learn to enjoy being alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty