Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 04:54 AM

4,500 posts, read 12,344,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
Image is everything.

I understand how you feel, but image matters in a soceity where no one has the time to actually get to know someone.
Some of us still take the time to get to know people. Worked out pretty well for me so far.

People who like me because of the clothes i (don't) wear, are people I don't really need to know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2010, 06:17 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,950,129 times
I'm not sure that men dress up less compared to women.

In general, we've been dressing like slobs for a long time now. I don't see any great change, honestly, except that many jobs now allow dressing down more than in the past.

Old 04-11-2010, 10:40 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
Image is everything.

I understand how you feel, but image matters in a soceity where no one has the time to actually get to know someone.
Most people don't need to get to know me. My image doesn't matter. I can perform the job, or they can go to someone else.

Old 04-11-2010, 12:44 PM

52,688 posts, read 47,955,803 times
I do agree that society has degenerated to a degree, but some people actually still practice good taste. You have to dress for what is appropriate. On a date (especially a first date), it's proper to dress up. At work, well, that depends from one place to another. Companies that have strict dress codes will have people dress up. That's just the way it goes. Other places might be a little more lax. It's funny how I went into one fine dining restaurant a few months ago, and few folks actually dressed down. Hard to believe, but they did. Still, there are also plenty of occasions to go "super-casual" at all the right places.

Old 04-11-2010, 01:22 PM

I'm trying to explain to my room mate that I need to wear something halfway decent when I visit my friend in Chicago. She tells me, "Don't try to be someone you're not. You're a jeans and T-shirt kind of guy, you should be able to wear that." However, I'm going to a place I've never been before, and I have no idea what sort of clothes he would wear as a professional working in Chicago. I figure a decent button down shirt and a pair of dress slacks would be fine--no need for a tie. But if he wears a suit on a daily basis, and I show up wearing jeans and a T-shirt, it wouldn't look right. (Especially seeing as how ALL my jeans are stained--okay for my job, but not elsewhere).

My room mate doesn't understand that.

Old 04-11-2010, 01:31 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,950,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I'm trying to explain to my room mate that I need to wear something halfway decent when I visit my friend in Chicago. She tells me, "Don't try to be someone you're not. You're a jeans and T-shirt kind of guy, you should be able to wear that." However, I'm going to a place I've never been before, and I have no idea what sort of clothes he would wear as a professional working in Chicago. I figure a decent button down shirt and a pair of dress slacks would be fine--no need for a tie. But if he wears a suit on a daily basis, and I show up wearing jeans and a T-shirt, it wouldn't look right. (Especially seeing as how ALL my jeans are stained--okay for my job, but not elsewhere).

My room mate doesn't understand that.
You wear stained clothes to work? What type of job do you have?

Old 04-11-2010, 01:39 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,040,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Maybe it's different there, but in Oz alot of guys seem like they dress really casually/don't take much effort compared to women. In past eras this hasn't been the case, with men taking as much effort as women. But it seems for the past decade or more they've been wearing t-shirts, oversized 'shorts', jeans and not much else. Polo shirts are considered 'dressing up.' Excluding that percentage who are fashionable. Why is this the case? Has male attractiveness kind of been devalued? Is it kind of taboo for men to show off their body as well?
I know, and as 30 year old man, I really don't care for it either. IMO, in 2010, our culture has changed in such a way were the adolescent stage has been prolonged into young adult years. So it's only natural for the young adults to dress according. The sad thing is that today we have 40-50 year olds still trying to hang on and dress like young people.

Also, people today seem to think you are uptight or a show off if you dress up nice. My X girlfriend use to hate it when I use to dress up in nice shoes, slacks and a tie. I also when to a Thanksgiving dinner last year, and as soon as the host opened the door, I was told by everybody that I did not need to "dress up". It was quite rude and I was offended, ya know, DON'T TELL ME HOW TO DRESS!!!

Gezzz, I guess I need to find higher class mature people to hang out with...

Old 04-11-2010, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
You wear stained clothes to work? What type of job do you have?
I stock overnights. And my clothes get messed up AT work, so there's no point in constantly buying new clothes that are just going to get messed up again.

You simply don't wear $50 shirts to work when you know they're going to get wrecked in the process of doing the job! Like the idiot who complained about getting paint on his shirt, when he was hired to mix paint (among other things).

Old 04-11-2010, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEarth View Post
Well, I could say the same thing about many women who wear sweatpants and plastic flip-flops everywhere.
I know, that or UGG boots and oversize sweatpants looking like they just slept in their clothes. Uck! It looks so ridiculous but what is worse is that women do it simply because they see other women do it, which clearly means they DON'T have a mind of their own.

Old 04-11-2010, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
I would disagree with some of your post, I've noticed men usually don't put in as much effort because:

1) Many jobs nowadays don't require people to dress up like they used to- not as many office jobs anymore.

And that's a sad reason not to properly groom yourself. I remember reading once that Samari warriors made sure they were nicely groomed (everyday) and used special scents to smell good so if they had to die they could at least die looking pretty along with going out with some kind of dignity.

And just think that was over 600 years ago when people did not have plumbing, rode horse back, and washed their clothes by hand!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty