Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 09:59 PM

105 posts, read 246,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I am the opposite of you.

Wearing a perfectly fitting suit, dress shirt, tie is very comfortable to me. What is more: it makes me feel handsome and good about myself.

I do not wear shorts outside unless I'm in my own backyard, the gym, or at the beach. Nobody wants to see my skinny hairy legs. To me, tank tops and T-shirts are undershirts.

Because I mostly work at an Ivy League university and am also a businessman here I like to look absolutely impeccable. I live in a metropolis in the northeast US. I am a man in his late fifties, and I have no desire to dress (or act) the way I did when I was in college nearly 40 years ago. My role model was my father, a very dapper and smart looking businessman from Manhattan.

My father (and mother) raised my two brothers and me to be gentlemen. This is very old fashioned I know. We were a family of well educated, cultured, and polite people.

My observations are NOT intended to be criticism of anyone else's sense of style. I am fully aware there are different norms and standards in other parts of the country and amongst other classes and professions. I make these comments only to give a person insight as to where I am coming from ... an opposing point of view, if you will.

BTW, I am always getting compliments on the way I dress.
I see nothing odd with that if you truly happy in such attire. You seem to enjoy looking well dressed and it gives you positive energy.

However not everyone enjoys wearing such attire as it can be very constricting and irritable if you cannot tolerate the heat like most people. Frankly I wear my attire not for looks or to receive attention from others but just for comfort. I will state that I do not judge people based on their clothing preferences but by their personality and actions. Anyone can look distinguished in clothing but behave horribly around others.

If there were formal attire that was not restricting and allowed the skin to breathe then I would have no quarrels wearing it. Unfortunately in this culture mimics Northwestern Europe in formal attire with everyone dressed in coats and jackets.

I come from a middle class family from the Northeastern US so my reasons for wearing casual attire have no influence from my family background. It is my discomfort that is related to my "disability" that shuns me from such clothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2013, 01:12 AM

108 posts, read 285,587 times
They essentially don't know how to dress up.
They don't know where to begin to even give it a try.
They fear being ridiculed and laughed at for making "WRONG" choices or for badly coordinating items that end up matching badly.
They stick with what they know to be rugged everyday, all-american Guy stuff that is common for the typical guy to wear everday.

Make it fun ladies and your men will be more than willing to dress better for you.
Train your puppy, ......I mean your handsome man.
He knows that comfortable tailored slacks and quality tailored khaki's are just as comfortable as worn LEVI's. A button down oxford shirt is just as comfortable as the shirts that he's wearing right now.
He won't make the change without encouragement and positive reinforcement because guys are big babies that are afraid of making changes that they perceive that they might get laughed at.
If you show 100% Approval and make him feel like the best man on the planet, he will become more of a sharp-dressed man for you. It really is as simple as that. If you simply allow him to be Mr. Sloppy Slob, than you'll never get him to care enough to look better for you.
You hold the key. He thinks the world of you and will do most anything to make you happy.

Old 10-17-2013, 11:06 AM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
men dont dress up because it isnt comfortable and men like to be comfortable, could it be any simpler than that?

Old 10-17-2013, 11:33 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,127,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda Richards View Post
They essentially don't know how to dress up.
They don't know where to begin to even give it a try.
They fear being ridiculed and laughed at for making "WRONG" choices or for badly coordinating items that end up matching badly.
They stick with what they know to be rugged everyday, all-american Guy stuff that is common for the typical guy to wear everday.

Make it fun ladies and your men will be more than willing to dress better for you.
Train your puppy, ......I mean your handsome man.
He knows that comfortable tailored slacks and quality tailored khaki's are just as comfortable as worn LEVI's. A button down oxford shirt is just as comfortable as the shirts that he's wearing right now.
He won't make the change without encouragement and positive reinforcement because guys are big babies that are afraid of making changes that they perceive that they might get laughed at.
If you show 100% Approval and make him feel like the best man on the planet, he will become more of a sharp-dressed man for you. It really is as simple as that. If you simply allow him to be Mr. Sloppy Slob, than you'll never get him to care enough to look better for you.
You hold the key. He thinks the world of you and will do most anything to make you happy.

Your entire post is absurd, and the part in bold is not only ludicrous, but totally, and completely WRONG!

(And I think I said before that I'm the guy with not only Carhartts, but Brooks Brothers hanging in my closet!)

Old 10-17-2013, 11:48 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
I really don't think it is wrong. Dress pants and shirts aren't any different in comfort level. I don't find ties uncomfortable at all either (I know some do). It is just about place appropriateness and money as the dress clothes cost more to buy and clean as I pay to have my work clothes professionally. Clothes I wear on a date isn't really any different than work clothes except for colors and styles (and no tie).

Old 10-18-2013, 03:48 AM

2,429 posts, read 4,022,561 times
I'm a woman commenting on this.....
It's not just men -- people in general don't dress up like they used to.
They don't need to. So why should they? For someone else? I don't think so.

I don't like 'dressing up.' Makes me feel uncomfortable. I agree with those who say that a suit -- I don't care how it's made, how it's cut, or what it's made out of -- is just never going to be as 'comfortable' as a Tshirt and loose slacks/jeans.

PART of that is that -- I'd imagine -- that most people carry themselves differently when they're wearing tshirt/jeans....than they do when in a suit (or dress/skirt for ladies).
For example:
-- you're not going to sit, cross you legs or bend over the same way.
-- you'll likely be a bit more careful eating if you're in a white shirt than a casual tshirt
-- a jacket just doesn't provide the freedom of movement as a tshirt

Those kinds of 'little things' -- subconsciously affect how 'comfortable' a person is in any given attire.

The bottom line about clothing or anything else -- is most people only do what they HAVE to do.
And if a persona doesn't have to do extra work on the job, or doesn't have to 'dress' better than they themselves personally feel the need to -- then they don't.

AND they have to be COMFORTABLE WITH THEMSELVES, and know who THEY ARE -- to not care what others think or be pressured into a societal norm more than what's minimally expected. And most (many) people aren't that secure.

I dress down as much as I can get away with without too much judgement from others, and I 'dress up' only to the level I HAVE to for a certain situation.

Personally, I think most people are in denial when they say they DON'T dress for others, that they dress for themselves. But that's just me. Clearly my opinion is subtly influenced at least in part by the fact that I don't like 'dress up' to or feel comfortable dressing any better than I need to.

Old 10-18-2013, 12:43 PM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdflk View Post
I'm a woman commenting on this.....
It's not just men -- people in general don't dress up like they used to.
They don't need to. So why should they? For someone else? I don't think so.

I don't like 'dressing up.' Makes me feel uncomfortable. I agree with those who say that a suit -- I don't care how it's made, how it's cut, or what it's made out of -- is just never going to be as 'comfortable' as a Tshirt and loose slacks/jeans.

PART of that is that -- I'd imagine -- that most people carry themselves differently when they're wearing tshirt/jeans....than they do when in a suit (or dress/skirt for ladies).
For example:
-- you're not going to sit, cross you legs or bend over the same way.
-- you'll likely be a bit more careful eating if you're in a white shirt than a casual tshirt
-- a jacket just doesn't provide the freedom of movement as a tshirt

Those kinds of 'little things' -- subconsciously affect how 'comfortable' a person is in any given attire.

The bottom line about clothing or anything else -- is most people only do what they HAVE to do.
And if a persona doesn't have to do extra work on the job, or doesn't have to 'dress' better than they themselves personally feel the need to -- then they don't.

AND they have to be COMFORTABLE WITH THEMSELVES, and know who THEY ARE -- to not care what others think or be pressured into a societal norm more than what's minimally expected. And most (many) people aren't that secure.

I dress down as much as I can get away with without too much judgement from others, and I 'dress up' only to the level I HAVE to for a certain situation.

Personally, I think most people are in denial when they say they DON'T dress for others, that they dress for themselves. But that's just me. Clearly my opinion is subtly influenced at least in part by the fact that I don't like 'dress up' to or feel comfortable dressing any better than I need to.

exactly.
a suit can never be as comfortable as what I am wearing now, baggy black cargo pants, timbz and a black pull over long sleeve shirt.

Fortunetely we can dress casual here in my office. yay !!, this definetely beats wearing slacks and a button down shirt with a tie and dress shoes.

I feel more comfortable I do a better job because I am in comfort, and am not thinking, oh God, cant wait to go home to rip this tie off and get these slacks off......

Old 10-19-2013, 05:44 PM

2,155 posts, read 4,581,708 times
I don't know, I like to dress fashionably most of the time.

Old 10-20-2013, 07:53 AM

11 posts, read 18,929 times
Maybe most guys they dress up casually who you saw are teens, so far as I know, teens always like to dress up simply and pursue an easy and simple life.

Old 12-03-2013, 04:22 AM

3 posts, read 5,187 times
Everyone has a different style sense or they don't like to be over dresssed by the name of well dressed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty