U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 09:30 AM

196 posts, read 564,070 times
Default Lose weight...look older. What to do?

Has anyone noticed that when women over say 40 start losing weight it immediately shows in their face, making them look older?

A good friend of mine, age 50, started running two years ago. She's lost about 20 pounds and feels great, but she looks about ten years older.

I know it's healthier to be at an appropriate weight, but if it means sacrificing a more youthful face, I don't know.

What's the key...lose weight and get a facelift, or just keep those few extra pounds?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2010, 09:49 AM

12,980 posts, read 17,185,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlost View Post
Has anyone noticed that when women over say 40 start losing weight it immediately shows in their face, making them look older?

A good friend of mine, age 50, started running two years ago. She's lost about 20 pounds and feels great, but she looks about ten years older.

I know it's healthier to be at an appropriate weight, but if it means sacrificing a more youthful face, I don't know.

What's the key...lose weight and get a facelift, or just keep those few extra pounds?
Ive noticed that and it sucks. I have a friend who lost about 75 pounds and although she looks FAN-FRIGGIN-TASTIC, she does look a bit older. She doesnt really care because she feels so much better and is very happy with the attention she gets from males.

Another who lost about the same weight still looks her age (late 30s) but she didnt become a cardio obsessed 5k and 10k runner like the friend I mentioned above. She started eating healthy and lifting weights. She looks great as well. I think it depends on HOW you go about losing the weight.

I think a lot of it has to do with when body fat percentage drops in some women, it drops in their face as well which leads to a more gaunt appearance.

Old 04-17-2010, 03:59 PM

1,055 posts, read 1,775,497 times
Quote:
Could it just be coincidence? At over 50, she has probably went through menopause. Since estrogen is what makes women's faces look younger.

It may also just take awhile for her skin to firm up again if she's lost a lot of weight. Running outside drying out the skin can also make it look old and haggard if she isn't moisturizing.

Old 04-18-2010, 09:41 AM

314 posts, read 646,608 times
I've noticed this with quite a few stars in Hollywood...many well below 50 in age. Yes, the softness leaves the face when too much weight is lost and it "hardens" or "ages" the face. Sure wish I had that problem!

Old 04-18-2010, 09:53 AM

12,402 posts, read 9,374,012 times
There's a saying that as a woman ages, at a certain point she has to choose between her a$$ and her face.

Old 04-18-2010, 10:20 AM

8,424 posts, read 22,834,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debb J View Post
I've noticed this with quite a few stars in Hollywood...many well below 50 in age. Yes, the softness leaves the face when too much weight is lost and it "hardens" or "ages" the face. Sure wish I had that problem!
Oh no you don't...teri hatcher...used to be so pretty and then she went skeletor. I am always trying to figure out if its the thinness or bad plastic work.

I know I would not bother with vanity pounds if it started to show in my face. Just get healthy and you will slowly lose extra unhealthy weight. Don't make it a goal to lose weight quickly. That is what I think really makes someones face look rough. Fast lost = scary skull face. If you are having habits that are unhealthy the side effects of those can affect your looks too. Pick health. Your nice face and butt will just follow naturally.

Old 04-18-2010, 10:34 AM

12,980 posts, read 17,185,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
There's a saying that as a woman ages, at a certain point she has to choose between her a$$ and her face.
That is very funny. Thing is, if she wants to be a cougar (if she's not married), she better have a nice body to have almost ANY HOPE for finding a man or getting a date.

The effects of eating right and exercising (NOT DIETING) is pretty much as close as one can get to finding the fountain of youth. I know women from martial arts training, yoga and gym who are getting up there in years and look FANTASTIC. These are the ones who have always taken good care of themselves. They have both attractive faces and bodies that are not at all indicative of their true age.

Take care of yourself now and you'll still look good when you get up there in years.

Old 04-18-2010, 05:46 PM

314 posts, read 646,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Oh no you don't...teri hatcher...used to be so pretty and then she went skeletor. I am always trying to figure out if its the thinness or bad plastic work.
In her case I think it's both. Sheralyn Finn (sp.?) is guilty of this, too.

Old 04-18-2010, 06:30 PM

1,860 posts, read 3,321,945 times
Quote:

It's just not women. Men have this problem too, especially those with belly fat. Take me for example. Any fat I have is collected around the belly. By the time I lose the belly fat, my face looks sunken. That's why I think liposuction is a good way to lose fat, as the fat removed is local (I think).

Old 04-19-2010, 12:11 PM

2,381 posts, read 4,439,010 times
Really? I think the opposite. The thinner, older women that I know dress and carry themselves very youthfully and look younger than their age. I am in my mid to late 30's and many have thought I was in my early 20's. Maybe its just the people I know, and maybe because they take good care of their skin and their bodies as well!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty