Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2010, 10:57 PM
mfa

19 posts, read 34,808 times

Advertisements

Krp05...best post ive read on this issue...I could not agree more...double standards and sexism...rampant when it comes to this kind of swimwear. Someone needs to explain the previous post...Gay men get a pass but straight guys deserve to be ridiculed. Are speedos any more uglier than women who are a size 10 and wear bikinis..yes..there are quite a few who do so. Too many people getting offended about seeing a mans body. Pathetic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 06:54 AM

4,720 posts, read 15,553,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfa View Post
Krp05...best post ive read on this issue...I could not agree more...double standards and sexism...rampant when it comes to this kind of swimwear. Someone needs to explain the previous post...Gay men get a pass but straight guys deserve to be ridiculed. Are speedos any more uglier than women who are a size 10 and wear bikinis..yes..there are quite a few who do so. Too many people getting offended about seeing a mans body. Pathetic.
I am not "offended". I just find them (speedos) ugly and unflattering, like ALOT of people do.
No, they are no more uglier then a women stuffed in a suit like a sausage.
That wasnt the issue in this thread, speedos and ones opinion of them is. Sexism? C'mon. We are talking about a dainty little suit some men think looks good on them. Not that heavy of a subject. Opinions on a messageboard , thats all. Not a big deal is it?
Its a free country,wear your speedo in good health.

Last edited by nanannie; 08-27-2010 at 07:30 AM..

Old 08-27-2010, 08:04 AM

18,359 posts, read 31,435,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfa View Post
Oh yes, I have to agree with you.

BTW, Gay men can wear speedoes and get away with it, because gay men take better care of their bodies and look better in them than most of the out of shape straight men.

actually I have seen more women wearing bikini bathing suits, that are fat and out of shape, have cottage cheese legs and are just plain repulsive, that makes me wonder, Did she ever think about looking in the mirror???
---then some men in speedoes...........

Old 08-27-2010, 08:35 AM

4,720 posts, read 15,553,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
Oh yes, I have to agree with you.

BTW, Gay men can wear speedoes and get away with it, because gay men take better care of their bodies and look better in them than most of the out of shape straight men.

actually I have seen more women wearing bikini bathing suits, that are fat and out of shape, have cottage cheese legs and are just plain repulsive, that makes me wonder, Did she ever think about looking in the mirror???
thats not the point is it? I must have missed where the subject morphed over to out of shape women vs out of shape men. And "gay men take better care of their bodies "?? Its about the SPEEDO.
Its often viewed as a feminine bathing suit. Hence the gay reference. They are a necessity for the serious swimmer. Questionable for one who wears them on a beach outside of Europe, JUST OPINIONS repeated over and over on this thread.
It you like them, wear them. No one cares,no one will kick sand or ruin your day, but as stated over and over and over in this thread, they are OFTEN (not ALWAYS) looked at like mom jeans, shoulder pads, and mulletts, a joke.

Old 08-27-2010, 08:36 AM

9,894 posts, read 21,928,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post

Some guys & lesbians like fattys & cottage cheese legs. Are you sure you dont ?

Old 08-27-2010, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
Some guys & lesbians like fattys & cottage cheese legs. Are you sure you dont ?
lololol, trust me, I don't

Old 08-27-2010, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
thats not the point is it? I must have missed where the subject morphed over to out of shape women vs out of shape men. And "gay men take better care of their bodies "?? Its about the SPEEDO.
Its often viewed as a feminine bathing suit. Hence the gay reference. They are a necessity for the serious swimmer. Questionable for one who wears them on a beach outside of Europe, JUST OPINIONS repeated over and over on this thread.
It you like them, wear them. No one cares,no one will kick sand or ruin your day, but as stated over and over and over in this thread, they are OFTEN (not ALWAYS) looked at like mom jeans, shoulder pads, and mulletts, a joke.
LOL, I know, I know what your point is.
Me either, I really don't care what anyone wears, to me, most people look icky anyway.....

Old 08-27-2010, 07:40 PM

89 posts, read 141,452 times
I wore a Speedo only once... in public that is. Well, I'm not counting the times I wore one under black nylon gym shorts in lieu of undies. And I wasn't even at a pool. I was riding a bike in August along a long bike trail that went along the River Park. It was hot so I slid the shorts off and rode w/Speedo and tee. But dont' worry, I was 19 at the time and I was thin then, not a trace fat. Besides, I had a coffee-colored tan and hardly any leg hair, and what scant leg hair I had, even @ 19, was all below the knees. No one stared. No one was paying attention. It was very comfortable, being it was nearly 100f. It was a nice free feeling and at that age, I looked like an adult-sized 12 y/o 'pretty boy,' so I felt sorta sexy... along with being very self-concious.

And my G/F at the time thought I looked great in it. However, we both agreed that my Speedo was not for public eyes... just for hers alone.

But that was years ago and I now have a belly. So I'd never wear one today. However, I have no hangups about those who would opt to wear one. They may not be that flattering but people have their right to be comfortable. I do recall, however, a hairy guy wore one on the schoolbus a few times, (He must have been a Sr, and I was in 8th grade) The girls went wild over him. But in the 80's, male flesh was to be shown and not hidden under gay paranoia. (And we didn't even have PC yet.)

Well, that's my 2 cents worth.

Old 08-27-2010, 09:22 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,883,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edspace View Post
I wore a Speedo only once... in public that is. Well, I'm not counting the times I wore one under black nylon gym shorts in lieu of undies. And I wasn't even at a pool. I was riding a bike in August along a long bike trail that went along the River Park. It was hot so I slid the shorts off and rode w/Speedo and tee. But dont' worry, I was 19 at the time and I was thin then, not a trace fat. Besides, I had a coffee-colored tan and hardly any leg hair, and what scant leg hair I had, even @ 19, was all below the knees. No one stared. No one was paying attention. It was very comfortable, being it was nearly 100f. It was a nice free feeling and at that age, I looked like an adult-sized 12 y/o 'pretty boy,' so I felt sorta sexy... along with being very self-concious.

And my G/F at the time thought I looked great in it. However, we both agreed that my Speedo was not for public eyes... just for hers alone.

But that was years ago and I now have a belly. So I'd never wear one today. However, I have no hangups about those who would opt to wear one. They may not be that flattering but people have their right to be comfortable. I do recall, however, a hairy guy wore one on the schoolbus a few times, (He must have been a Sr, and I was in 8th grade) The girls went wild over him. But in the 80's, male flesh was to be shown and not hidden under gay paranoia. (And we didn't even have PC yet.)

Well, that's my 2 cents worth.
It was nice when we didn't have all this gay paranoia. It's an unhealthy obsession for a lot of people.

Old 08-28-2010, 01:25 AM

6,612 posts, read 12,801,885 times
The only men that should wear Speedos are Aussie lifesavers (or a reasonable facsimile thereof)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty