U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 09:14 AM

1,792 posts, read 4,578,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
TownandCountryGal - what part of the country was this? Urban or rural?
PNW, semi-rural.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 09:16 AM

4,721 posts, read 13,616,006 times
Quote:
Nanannie - I disagree because NOT everyone shares your tastes. First of all, if a man has a good physique, why not show it off? You ladies do the same too, but why not men?! Anyway, I believe that many in the US dislike the speedo out of a misconception of what a real man should look like. Women are allowed much more freedom to do things outside their traditional gender roles than men are. For example, women working was almost taboo years ago. Ditto women doctors and lawyers. Ditto women police officers. However, a male elementary school teacher still raises eyebrows. We can go on and on about this debate but my point is clear. The dislike of the speedo comes from what much of society is TAUGHT about what real men should wear versus LOGICAL REASONING. Since there are some men that would wear the suit and been for many years, there simply is not logically based reasoning for it to be humorous should the man look good in it. Also, men also have PRACTICAL reasons for wearing the suit. It does provide support. Can women say the same? Therefore, I have to conclude that it mostly misinformed people who have not thought out their reasons for the dislike of the speedo. They are merely TAUGHT the dislike for the speedo and so it is not that men do not look good in speedos (if they have the physique).

Secondly, our Western society is based on freedom and individual choice. Therefore NOBODY HAS ANY RIGHT to mock what another person chooses to wear. Why? I will let you in on a secret! Not everyone will like some of the things that you wear. As long as it is not too distasteful or revealing (like your personal parts hanging out) to each his own. Thus, unless you are Officer Enforcer of the Fashion Police, FIND SOMETHING ELSE TO OCCUPY YOUR TIME. The very fact that someone would react so negatively to the type of bathing suit someone else wear tells me they have nothing else to do with their time.

Now, I am not insulting people who disagree with me or do not prefer men in speedos. I am questioning those that would mock someone behind their back or to their face over differences in taste. If you do not like speedos because you were taught that or you associate them incorrectly with homosexuality fine. Just keep your opinions to yourselves unless you want people to critisize you. (Which I am sure if the tables were turned you would NOT be happy).

Now if you just do not like the look of men in speedos. Fine. That is your opinion. However, just let everyone else live their lives the way they want unless you want someone else to tell YOU what to wear. Please do not feel that my post was attacking the other posters here because they do not like speedos. I will respect your opinion to dislike the suit on men. However, I just do not think men should be mocked for the bathing suits they wear when there is no logical reasons to mock them. (I had a friend that had this problem).
Come on, you are getting off track. Looking like a fool in a silly bathing suit is not in the same conversation as women doctors or lawyers. Male school teachers? Please. What decade is this?
Its comments on clothing choices, thats all. THATS ALL. Harldy worthy a diatribe.
I remember another post of yours calling women "clowns" who wore makeup and why would they put that stuff on their face since you find it hideous? Calling women 'clowns' for not looking good for you. Thats an ok form of fashion police? But, people who dont like speedos are "misinformed" as to what looks good on a man? They are Just opinions, like yours with make up.

I guess I am a misinformed clown with too much time on my hands.

One can show off your good shape in a plethora of ways that dont include speedos. I would also say the majority of Americans feel as I do ,not all, but if you had a nationwide survey, I would bet the bank the eye rollers win. I dont associate them with being gay but being clueless. Or an absolute "dork". Who cares if people were "taught" not to like speedos. Its easy not to like them. I dont like men in sox with sandals or "Italian T's" either. To each his own. Wear your speedo, T AND your sox and sandals if you wish.
Speedos are hideous outside a swim meet.So are shoulder pads off the football field. But they serve a purpose with sport.
Many find speedos a joke. -But some people like them-so? Live, let live. Opinions are opinions.
I would never say anything to their face, smirk behind their back, perhaps. But, its America, they can wear whatever floats their boat.
As can women wear a thong, long past the days when anyone cared to look. To each his own.

Last edited by nanannie; 04-20-2010 at 10:06 AM..

Old 04-20-2010, 09:31 AM

4,721 posts, read 13,616,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Speedos are not fashionable. They are functional and fine for swimmers, but on the beach or at the pool, they are not in style. Wear fitted trunks if you want to show off your package--nobody cares. But they WILL laugh at you wearing a banana hammock.

People have every right to mock what they do not like, including speedos AND the people who dislike them.

Good summary JJ !

Old 04-20-2010, 01:02 PM

15,231 posts, read 23,764,219 times
Here in America it is always such a problem with what men wear. Only here do we have such rules....anything out of the ordinary is always not good for a man.....ugh !!!!! Oh and heaven forbid if your a man and have body hair..... Oh my....
But a woman can do anything, show as much skin as she wants....

It is kinda like that other thread about if you are over 30 do you wear sweat pants.??.....,OMG what will strangers at the mall think??
or like do you have a clothesline in the back yard....OMG what will the neighbors think ???

We here in America really do have serious hangups........it's almost sickening............

I'm glad I do what I want and could give a rats arse what anyone thinks

Old 04-20-2010, 01:17 PM

6,881 posts, read 7,084,716 times
Let's just hope a guy in a speed-o never goes in the water with the shrinkage and all. Do you really want to show that off

Not attractive - at all.

Old 04-20-2010, 03:29 PM

1,446 posts, read 3,940,178 times
Nanannie - You said that a man looks like a fool in a silly bathing suit. WHO ARE YOU TO TETERMINE THAT? You can say that you do not like the bathing suit. That's fine. That's your tastes. But do not expect everyone to agree. You are not the judge. That's all I am saying.

Secondly, NO PERSON HAS THE RIGHT TO MOCK SOMEONE THEY FEEL IS WEARING SOMETHING NOT FASHIONABLE. Why? BECAUSE I AM 100% SURE YOU WOULD NOT APPRECIATE IT IF I MOCK SOMETHING THAT YOU ENJOY WEARING. It often isn't fun when the shoe is on the other foot. Therefore, your idea that a "speedo" is a joke should only be taken as a joke if it is meant to be a joke. I am sure I can find something to be a "joke" about your fashion statements or life. Finally, you are not the one to determine what is a "joke." NO ONE LIKES TO BE MOCKED, I DO NOT CARE WHAT IT IS ABOUT. If you can mock others than others can mock you. Then, we have a problem. Don't we?!

Thus, unless someone wants to be laughed at, it is their decision what to wear. MOCKING TO THE FACE OR BEHIND THE BACK IS A FORM OF HARASSMENT. In fact, if I were to kid around with what a woman is wearing to the beach, I am sure it becomes sexual harassment. To sum it up, people have the right to wear what they want FREE OF HARASSMENT in our society. Finally, you may not like what such a suit looks like on a man, but that is ONLY your opinion.

Old 04-20-2010, 05:28 PM

9,487 posts, read 13,349,016 times
Quote:

Secondly, NO PERSON HAS THE RIGHT TO MOCK SOMEONE THEY FEEL IS WEARING SOMETHING NOT FASHIONABLE. Why? BECAUSE I AM 100% SURE YOU WOULD NOT APPRECIATE IT IF I MOCK SOMETHING THAT YOU ENJOY WEARING. It often isn't fun when the shoe is on the other foot. Therefore, your idea that a "speedo" is a joke should only be taken as a joke if it is meant to be a joke. I am sure I can find something to be a "joke" about your fashion statements or life. Finally, you are not the one to determine what is a "joke." NO ONE LIKES TO BE MOCKED, I DO NOT CARE WHAT IT IS ABOUT. If you can mock others than others can mock you. Then, we have a problem. Don't we?!
grace
Sorry, some things just beg to be mocked.

Don't know why you're getting all bent out of shape over the remarks about people not liking speedos, like you said, it is just an opinion. Unfortunately (or not) it seems to be the collective opinion of the majority. Wear them if you like them, why is it important to you what other people think?

Old 04-20-2010, 05:39 PM

2,858 posts, read 6,204,375 times
I would never wear Speedos in America especially in Orange County. I would seriously get laughed at endlessly or get called gay. I would wear one in Europe though just for laughs. Everyone wears board shorts. When I go to the beach, I like to at least go boggieboarding so I wear a rashguard. Rashguard with Speedos...not a good look for a dude!

Old 04-20-2010, 07:50 PM

DubbleT "Beg to be mocked" Sorry, but you have not put up a good reason for that.

Old 04-20-2010, 07:51 PM

I had enough of this topic...Just please respect other's rights. That how I would like to leave this at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty