U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 09:04 PM

337 posts, read 1,264,797 times

Advertisements

Okay...don't have time to mess around. I looked in the mirror today and I was OLD! Unfortunately, I did not inherit my mother's beautiful clear fair skin, and I got my dad's along with a myriad of age / dark spots! I've got to get this under control ASAP! (I'm 49) What's the best product you've ever used for this dilemma??? All help appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 09:12 PM

3,836 posts, read 6,619,149 times
Don't get the Olay product in the red tube. 3 weeks and no difference. The best stuff I have used is the fade cream with hydroquonone at Sally Beauty.

Old 04-20-2010, 10:15 PM

I guess the hydroquonone is still the best. Just been hearing about other stuff and wondered if there'd been any new developments out there in this area! I can't put it off any longer........have to start some sort of treatment now before I start lookin' like a monster!

Still listening for any other ideas out there................

Old 04-20-2010, 10:44 PM

I am seriously think of going for some IPL

Old 04-21-2010, 03:35 PM

Ipl ????

Old 04-21-2010, 09:37 PM

687 posts, read 843,513 times
Something with Retinal and powder form vitamin C.

Old 04-22-2010, 10:59 AM

635 posts, read 1,614,708 times
From someone who suffers from hereditary and likely hormonal melasma...the last week in March I picked up a concoction from a plastic surgeon's nurse that seems to be working well...but let me back up a bit.

I have/ had super mild (thank heavens) rosacea and did IPL. That only works for rosacea and broken capillaries on the face, and is only temporary. The plastic surgeon's office I go to has sold their IPL machine back to the manufacturer for trade up for a Vbeam laser instead. They say the results and success rate for veins in the face (NOT dark spots) is much better/higher.

Dark spots, due to hormones, aging, or the sun, are best treated with chemical treatments. They do not respond to and sometimes respond even worse (like backlash! even more aggressive!) to laser light treatments due to collagen turnover (I believe).

Now back to the chemicals I'm using now - the concoction is Retin-A, hydroquinone and a steroid.

A note on steroids: they cause rosacea and rosacea acne.
A note on Retin-A: it causes photosensitivity and dryness or flakiness.
A note on hydroquinone: this sucker...I think in outrageous doses is a carcinogen. may cause a 3rd eye to grow where the was none.

I use it on a non-susceptible place on my face that is not prone to rosacea or rosacea acne. It has lightened these obnoxious, dime sized dark spots considerably. However when I went to use it on my cheek to rid myself of a transient beauty mark from an unremarkable moment of being in the sun with *just* SPF 15 on and not my usual 2-3 layers of sunscreen....I had a rosacea acne outbreak. Sucked. But it's gone now, it was just a week long thing.

Old 04-22-2010, 02:08 PM

8,415 posts, read 34,372,697 times
First go in for a full body skin cancer check. (they say its a "tip" to get a check up when those spots show up just in case to be on the lookout for skin cancer)

Have you tried daily lemon peels scrubbed on the area? Its natural vitamin c.

You have to use something with SPF to prevent more from showing up. Neutrogena has a CRAZY high spf:

Buy Neutrogena Sunblock, Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch SPF 70 Online at drugstore.com

It breaks some people out so save your sale slip in case thats true for you.

I want the clairsonic face scrubber....(making debts die first though ☺)
That is suppose to help with everything that makes your skin look tired/aged :

Sonic Skin Cleansing : Skin Care Systems - Clarisonic

I liked this to fade out some bad acne scars:
Sephora: Ole Henriksen Truth Serum® Collagen Booster: Aging
It also just perks up the skin and gets rid of the sallow tone that pale skin can get with age.

I would also go into a derm for a chemical peel or try one of the chemical peels you can do at home. I like:

Sephora: Bliss Peeling Groovy Facial Serum: Scrubs & Exfoliators

"Bliss Peeling Groovy Facial Serum gently sloughs away dead skin cells and debris, lightens dark spots, and minimizes the appearance of pores and fine lines"

It gets everything off more evenly and deeply than manual scrubbing.

Old 04-22-2010, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecovringKrspyKremeAddict View Post
Ipl ????
It's a laser therapy to remove the spots.

Old 04-23-2010, 04:51 AM

1,188 posts, read 2,001,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecovringKrspyKremeAddict
Ipl ????

IPL = Intense Pulse Light Therapy. (light laser pulse therapy) GREAT STUFF!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty