Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 11:36 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times

Advertisements

Yes.

The only people who get excited when I dress up are old women.

Out of the people who matter, everyone seems to prefer tasteful, casual clothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2010, 11:42 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
This is what I mean, "You should never wear sweats to work"....well depending on what type of job you have, why not, it is more comfortable to sit in sweats all day long than tight jeans. Especially if you are in an office with the same people every single day.........oh please...

Whats wrong with a baggy t shirt, it is more comfortable than a skin tight t shirt. What is so disrespectful about wearing shorts in weather that is 90 degrees, ugh !!!

Your the type of person that I mean, with the rules of dress.
There have always been rules of dress, for as long as there's been human society. One can be appropriate and comfortable at the same time. But comfort isn't the be-all-end-all of wardrobe. And one can be casual without being unkempt and sloppy.

True, if you're a personal trainer, wearing sweats isn't inappropriate. If you work in a professional office environment, especially if you deal with the public, neither sweats nor tight jeans is something you should be wearing. I know I wouldn't want to do business with someone who looked like a homeless person. I wouldn't want to see a doctor who came into the exam room in ripped jeans. It matters.

Old 04-21-2010, 11:52 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
quote: "My utmost condolences that MY choice of clothing causes YOU such grief. NOT."

I think many people have a high sense of aesthetics. These are people who respond positively to beautiful architecture, clothing, art, nature, etc. It makes one happy and joyful to be alive in a way that ugliness cannot.

On the other hand, there are people who don't care how their noise, their big cars, their dirty and uncared for buildings, and their general loudness, rudeness, callousness and uncaring attitudes affect the people around them. They live only for themselves and don't feel they are part of any evolved community.
I never asked to be part of a "community". They leave me alone, I leave them alone.

Old 04-21-2010, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Snobbishness? Hardly. What I dislike is the fact that more and more people have the attitude that they cam be as sloppy as they want to and no one is allowed to mind or have a less-than-favorable first impression of them. This is SO not the real world. People will ALWAYS base thoughts about you on how you present yourself. To not care about how you present yourself to others, is a obvious statement that you simply don't care about those other people. So if you don't care enough to present yourself well, then I most certainly won't be thinking too much of you. And I'm not talking about dressing up when the occasion calls for dressing down.

And being able to afford it is absolutely no excuse. I am so tired that that old line. One can dress very very nicely, for next to nothing, if you know how to shop.
For the most part, I do NOT care what other people think of me. But when you go somewhere in jeans and a T-shirt, because that's the type of clothes you can AFFORD, and the people around you are wearing suits and looking down their nose at you, it speaks of snobbishness.

Old 04-21-2010, 12:29 PM

9,285 posts, read 14,890,077 times
Quote "And then there are people who make wild assumptions about others based on their clothing."

So I suppose that if a cowboy in a ten gallon hat and two big six shooters with his hands on both of them walks toward you down the street you certainly won't make any wild assumptions?

Old 04-21-2010, 12:31 PM

I'd assume it was Halloween.

Old 04-21-2010, 12:34 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,296,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Quote "And then there are people who make wild assumptions about others based on their clothing."

So I suppose that if a cowboy in a ten gallon hat and two big six shooters with his hands on both of them walks toward you down the street you certainly won't make any wild assumptions?
A) Walking toward you with hands on six shooters isn't clothing.

B) If a guy in a $5000 Brioni suit was walking toward you in the street with HIS hands on two six shooters would you make any wild assumptions?

Old 04-21-2010, 12:49 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,945,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
I figured this would be an interesting discussion for a Tuesday. When you stop and think about it, do you like the fact America is largley a casual nation in terms of dress?
I like that individuals are able to portray their own sense of individual style. In terms of dress styles its really a regional thing as well as age thing, interest thing and weather thing.

Quote:
Do you wish we were somewhat more formal in some respects.
No. We are a country of many cultures and people, and one of the great things is that we are free to express our individual tastes in fashion and style. Are there any certain "respects" that you would like to see us more formal in?

Quote:
Discuss
No need. already gave my opinion.

Old 04-21-2010, 01:00 PM

1,054 posts, read 3,859,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post

I think people have taken it too far. The classic "jeans and a t-shirt" as casual dress has been replaced by people wearing pajamas, slippers, work-out wear and under-garments in public.
You obviously live in the same town as I do! Work-out clothes I say are ok because they are probably coming home from the gym. But to see people in their pajamas in the grocery store is just plain strange. Oh and its always 18-25 yr old girls who do this.

Last edited by mtneer; 04-21-2010 at 01:13 PM..

Old 04-21-2010, 02:24 PM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
here in Brooklyn I have never ever, ever, seen anyone out here shopping in their pajamas and slippers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty