U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 04:00 PM

2,682 posts, read 3,580,108 times

Advertisements

I figured this would be an interesting discussion for a Tuesday. When you stop and think about it, do you like the fact America is largley a casual nation in terms of dress. Do you wish we were somewhat more formal in some respects. Discuss
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 04:09 PM

2,858 posts, read 6,211,393 times
No. Our attire tends too slack off since we spend more time at work than just about any other country. The "I'm not wearing a f'n tie outside work" viewpoint is so strong since we have to do it so often and for so long. If our countries viewpoint changed about work which I feel is impossible, then we would dress more "proper" like we did back in the days. Back when dudes wore suits to get on a plane. Ladies dressing up to see a movie. Dressing decent to the doctors office.

Old 04-20-2010, 04:24 PM

5,019 posts, read 12,479,490 times
I'll be an old fuddy-duddy and vote "no".

I think people have taken it too far. The classic "jeans and a t-shirt" as casual dress has been replaced by people wearing pajamas, slippers, work-out wear and under-garments in public.

While some will say that's "ok" I have noticed that people who take little pride in their appearance also seem to have litte respect for themselves and for others. A general lack of civility ensues. Sad really.

Old 04-20-2010, 08:48 PM

13,295 posts, read 12,359,205 times
Yes.

I refuse to believe that my choice to wear comfortable clothes somehow leads to a 'lack of civility'.

I live in NY and used to live in DC and it is no surprise to me that the country is in such a legal and financial crisis given that the people in charge of these areas aren't smart enough to not wear a jacket when it is 90 degrees and 90% humidity.

Old 04-20-2010, 11:27 PM

23,964 posts, read 31,184,409 times
I actually despise the way most of us dress these days. Yeah...I hate it.

Old 04-21-2010, 04:10 AM

27,236 posts, read 40,310,013 times
Yes. I see no reason to dress up when it doesn't change the person underneath.

All it leads to is snobbishness against those who actually could not AFFORD to dress up fancy.

Old 04-21-2010, 05:41 AM

8,230 posts, read 12,836,624 times
"Casual" does not have to mean "sloppy". I like to dress casually, in just some jeans and fitted t-shirt. But living in the UK, I feel like there is a lot more social pressure to dress more trendy and feminine. I sometimes feel like I can't just be "me" in my jeans and tee.

On the other end of the spectrum, there is also a lot of people in the UK who are okay wearing PJs in public, which I'm not comfortable with. It's like there's no middle ground here and I'm just your average all-American girl next door in her jeans and fitted tee who doesn't fit in.

Old 04-21-2010, 06:27 AM

13,295 posts, read 12,359,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I actually despise the way most of us dress these days. Yeah...I hate it.
My utmost condolences that MY choice of clothing causes YOU such grief. NOT.

Old 04-21-2010, 07:05 AM

6,309 posts, read 10,488,455 times
quote: "My utmost condolences that MY choice of clothing causes YOU such grief. NOT."

I think many people have a high sense of aesthetics. These are people who respond positively to beautiful architecture, clothing, art, nature, etc. It makes one happy and joyful to be alive in a way that ugliness cannot.

On the other hand, there are people who don't care how their noise, their big cars, their dirty and uncared for buildings, and their general loudness, rudeness, callousness and uncaring attitudes affect the people around them. They live only for themselves and don't feel they are part of any evolved community.

Old 04-21-2010, 07:15 AM

8,230 posts, read 12,836,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
quote: "My utmost condolences that MY choice of clothing causes YOU such grief. NOT."

I think many people have a high sense of aesthetics. These are people who respond positively to beautiful architecture, clothing, art, nature, etc. It makes one happy and joyful to be alive in a way that ugliness cannot.

On the other hand, there are people who don't care how their noise, their big cars, their dirty and uncared for buildings, and their general loudness, rudeness, callousness and uncaring attitudes affect the people around them. They live only for themselves and don't feel they are part of any evolved community.
And then there are people who make wild assumptions about others based on their clothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty