U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2010, 10:52 AM

15,371 posts, read 32,229,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
It seems a lot of female New Yorkers found the solution to this. If you've ever been in Manhattan during rush hour, you'll see a lot of them wear stylish clothes or business suits but with sneakers on. Once they get to the office they'll change back to their heels
AND A New York woman will start changing into her heels about 10 steps before she reaches her building and will NEVER miss a step while she changes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 12:58 PM

3,860 posts, read 7,078,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
Believe it or not, my neighbor loves to walk her german shepherd in sexy clothes and heels. I saw her yesterday walking her dog in a long summer dress with deep V neck plunged down almost to her navel, and of course, high heels. Whatever floats her boat..

Yep, whatever floats your boat. That's why men here in the U.S. shouldn't really care whether a woman wears flats all of the time. Especially when many of them dress in a manner that leaves A LOT to be desired.

Old 04-29-2010, 06:46 PM

9,444 posts, read 14,243,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Anyone else notice that all those women appear to be quite attractive?

Its a silly event yes, but why no unattractive women? Im curious.
Because (duh), the overwhelming majority of Russian women are attractive.

Old 04-30-2010, 12:30 AM

3,455 posts, read 3,849,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
Yes they are. I would like to know if it's genetic or just a matter of Russian women making the effort to look pretty? Maybe it's a little of both.

Old 04-30-2010, 01:30 AM

3,455 posts, read 3,849,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
Yep, whatever floats your boat. That's why men here in the U.S. shouldn't really care whether a woman wears flats all of the time. Especially when many of them dress in a manner that leaves A LOT to be desired.
Some American men do dress like slobs. But when I saw the collection of Russian pictures it stood out that the Russian men were not trying to compete with the women when it comes to fashion. The Russian men have the "boy next door" look. They look low key, they let the ladies be the fashion stars. Very delightful.

I have seen a few of the women here say that American men "shouldn't care" how non-U.S women dress. I disagree. You really can't tell someone what they should or shouldn't care about, we all have different interests. The pictures I saw of Russian women were awe inspiring to me, not just for how stylish and feminine they look, but for the whole idea that different cultures around the world have alternative ways of looking at things.

Old 04-30-2010, 01:38 AM

216 posts, read 573,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
Yes they are. I would like to know if it's genetic or just a matter of Russian women making the effort to look pretty? Maybe it's a little of both.
I think it's largely genetic. Eastern Europe has a wealth of beautiful women; particularly Russian, Serbia, Croatia, Poland and Czechoslovakia. Serbs in particular, are also very tall - both the men and women.

I'm American but of Serbian decent. When I got married and started taking my husband to Serbian church and Serbian cultural events, he nearly fell over. He said that he hadn't seen so many tall and beautiful women in one place. He's tall and always has been attracted to tall women. He used to joke that if he had known about the Serbians, he would have gone to Serbian night clubs and church when he was single.

Old 04-30-2010, 09:01 AM

12,978 posts, read 27,402,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
Ha!! Not really, but the overwhelming majority of Russian women in the US marry extremely handsome and charming American men.

Old 04-30-2010, 09:12 AM

10 posts, read 15,867 times
Kind of true.. American women's standards are beauty are falling, and the fall in popularity of heels reflects this. Not that all US women are like this, but compared to European countries we have fallen behind in looks.

Old 04-30-2010, 09:32 AM

3,860 posts, read 7,078,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
Some American men do dress like slobs. But when I saw the collection of Russian pictures it stood out that the Russian men were not trying to compete with the women when it comes to fashion. The Russian men have the "boy next door" look. They look low key, they let the ladies be the fashion stars. Very delightful.

I have seen a few of the women here say that American men "shouldn't care" how non-U.S women dress. I disagree. You really can't tell someone what they should or shouldn't care about, we all have different interests. The pictures I saw of Russian women were awe inspiring to me, not just for how stylish and feminine they look, but for the whole idea that different cultures around the world have alternative ways of looking at things.
Why would a man that's well-dressed be in competition with women? When I say men here in the U.S. shouldn't care that we wear flats it's because a woman can still look feminine and put together with flats.

I'm sorry but it really grates on me when some men expect all women to be able to wear heels comfortably. I can't wear heels all of the time. I'm 5'2" and my feet are flat. Heels, expecially skinny ones over 2.5 inches are uncomfortable to me. Why should I sacrifice my comfort when the majority of men I see don't make any kind of effort to dress well.

And I'm sorry fellas, sports attire, no matter how expensive it is, is not my idea of well-dressed.

Old 04-30-2010, 10:22 AM

19,126 posts, read 24,207,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
Why would a man that's well-dressed be in competition with women? When I say men here in the U.S. shouldn't care that we wear flats it's because a woman can still look feminine and put together with flats.

I'm sorry but it really grates on me when some men expect all women to be able to wear heels comfortably. I can't wear heels all of the time. I'm 5'2" and my feet are flat. Heels, expecially skinny ones over 2.5 inches are uncomfortable to me. Why should I sacrifice my comfort when the majority of men I see don't make any kind of effort to dress well.

And I'm sorry fellas, sports attire, no matter how expensive it is, is not my idea of well-dressed.
I wonder if this has something to do with what you do for a living. Do those Russian women have jobs? Are they desk/office type jobs where you can dress up? When I worked an 'office' job many years ago I used to dress up really nice in skirts, heels, makeup etc. so it was a lot easier to transition to a much more 'fashionable' style after work as well.

Now, I work in an aircraft hangar and can't wear heels or even open toed/heeled shoes or skirts/dresses. Why would I go home, take off my work clothes and get all dolled up to walk the dog? Doesn't make any sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty