Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 05:16 PM

2,788 posts, read 8,013,886 times

Advertisements

Moscow's High Heel Race
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 10:52 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,428,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrackly View Post
That's awesome! +5!

Old 04-27-2010, 07:05 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,376,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug24 View Post
Does it mean all women in Russia are hookers or all women wearing heels are hookers? I think you owe an apology to Russian women here..
yeahhh i'm waiting

oh nevermind...i'm a hooker

Old 04-28-2010, 08:11 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,955,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrackly View Post
Anyone else notice that all those women appear to be quite attractive?

Its a silly event yes, but why no unattractive women? Im curious.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:02 AM

1,066 posts, read 1,558,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
And what of when they're 60 years old and can no longer walk because of the damage they have done to their feet, ankles, knees, hips, and backs from years of walking in heels?
Shoot em like a horse? j/k.

Russian women don't only wear high heels 24/7 but my comment was more about looking good and paying attention to fashion pretty much every time they go out in public. And it doesn't make them slaves to males, or the fashion industry. Nor does it make them hookers. We're talking about a country that has produced one of the most powerful female leaders in human history.

Coldwine does have a point that Eastern European women are in competition for the few good men; also years of a hard life can age women quickly so their prime "window" is open shorter than western women. But fashion is also something more ingrained in the culture, as it's pretty common to even see new mothers dressed up in their best outfit while walking their baby in a stroller. They just love looking good because it makes them feel good.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:15 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Why does anyone give a rat's behind what Russian women are wearing anyway? Unless you're a Russian woman, of course ... and even then it's iffy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
No way...I even saw pictures of women walking their dogs in high heels.
Hookers have dogs, too, ya know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
but my first thought every time a dude says "all women should wear heels" is to get him a pair and have him walk in them for a half mile, and then stand on a hard floor for a few hours.
They'd be whining like babies.

Quote:
If we were meant to wear heels, our feet wouldn't be shaped the way they are.
Only Barbie's feet are designed for high heels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyA11 View Post
Femininity is an attitude -- you can be feminine in a tee, jeans, and sneakers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendu View Post
Feminism is about equal pay and career opportunities and not being discriminated against;
Wrong. Feminism is about allowing women to be free to be who they want to be, not to be who men want them to be. Feminism goes way beyond the workplace.

Old 04-29-2010, 12:24 AM

216 posts, read 668,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
This is the case throughout Eastern Europe. Women there are far more fashion-conscious even in the small towns (the large cities even more so) and most wouldn't walk out of the house in casual wear even if it's just a walk to the corner grocery store. Sure, there are always going to be some jeans-and-tennis shoes-wearing youth, but even they are conscientious of the condition and quality of their duds.

And yes, at the beach they typically wear high heel sandals, thongs, slides, etc. because they revel in their femininity.
I completely agree with this. I live in a neighborhood with a high concentration of Eastern Europeans. I've made the same observation. The women don't leave the house without make up and stylish dress. It's not that they are in evening attire, but they're not wearing sweats and yoga pants and gym shoes, either (unless they're at the gym where those clothes belong).

They may have a nice pair of jeans with heels or heeled boots, a nice top, a scarf or some sort of accessory, some day time jewelry, etc. This is the case even when they drive their kids to school, go to the grocery store, etc.

I'm a women and frankly, I like their sense of style. One may say that they're too concerned with how they look but it's refreshing to see people take time to look good for themselves. They have the same rigorous schedules that we all do with kids, work, house, etc. and they manage to still look well put together.

Old 04-29-2010, 09:13 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,955,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whosez View Post
I completely agree with this. I live in a neighborhood with a high concentration of Eastern Europeans. I've made the same observation. The women don't leave the house without make up and stylish dress. It's not that they are in evening attire, but they're not wearing sweats and yoga pants and gym shoes, either (unless they're at the gym where those clothes belong).

They may have a nice pair of jeans with heels or heeled boots, a nice top, a scarf or some sort of accessory, some day time jewelry, etc. This is the case even when they drive their kids to school, go to the grocery store, etc.

I'm a women and frankly, I like their sense of style. One may say that they're too concerned with how they look but it's refreshing to see people take time to look good for themselves. They have the same rigorous schedules that we all do with kids, work, house, etc. and they manage to still look well put together.
You pretty much just described Mrs. Lao. Even when she's heading to yoga or the dance studio she's still fashionable.

Another running joke we have is about the Russian men's style. She says that I tend to always wear the standard Russian dude's uniform - Addidas sweat pants, Addidas shirts, Addidas or Nike shoes, etc. You know, sporty attire that is NOT sports team attire.

Old 04-29-2010, 09:32 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,734,534 times
Quote:
I walk 2-3 miles a day on hilly city streets just for a commute. I'd *love* to see one of these men suggesting that women should wear heels about their daily business try that.

I like my ankles and feet. If we were meant to wear heels, our feet wouldn't be shaped the way they are.
It seems a lot of female New Yorkers found the solution to this. If you've ever been in Manhattan during rush hour, you'll see a lot of them wear stylish clothes or business suits but with sneakers on. Once they get to the office they'll change back to their heels

Old 04-29-2010, 09:40 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,734,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
WHY on Gods Green Earth would they make their dogs wear high heels
Believe it or not, my neighbor loves to walk her german shepherd in sexy clothes and heels. I saw her yesterday walking her dog in a long summer dress with deep V neck plunged down almost to her navel, and of course, high heels. Whatever floats her boat..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty