U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 02-12-2011, 05:55 AM

24,695 posts, read 15,396,441 times
Why does this bother you so much? If you're a gal it just means your SO is less likely to be distracted by other women .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 02-12-2011, 06:02 AM

18,251 posts, read 10,094,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Why does this bother you so much? If you're a gal it just means your SO is less likely to be distracted by other women .
I think it's just a matter of some men thinking up news reasons as to why they fall short when it comes to women.

Unread 02-12-2011, 07:02 AM

19,626 posts, read 15,599,386 times
It's 20 degrees out. I'm not wearing a skirt when it's 20 degrees out. No, not even with flannel petticoats like they did in Little House on the Prairie. If that means I'm not feminine, oh well.

Unread 02-13-2011, 09:40 PM

9,957 posts, read 7,883,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
At one time it was practically taken for granted that if a woman didn't wear makeup she was a lesbian. Today many women don't wear makeup. While most are not lesbian it is proof that lesbianism via feminism has had a profound impact on the general culture. The whole mentality of "I don't need to look good for men" is lesbian in nature even if many hetrosexual women think this way too now.

Is there still such a thing as a "lipstick lesbian"? Even in this era when even most straight women don't bother to wear lipstick? (a real shame IMO).
Wow- The lack of makeup in women has NOTHING to do with lesbianism, but sheer laziness of American women.

Unread 02-13-2011, 11:48 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,083,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Wow- The lack of makeup in women has NOTHING to do with lesbianism, but sheer laziness of American women.
It has nothing to do with laziness either. Maybe some of us don't like to wear makeup all the time. Seriously, people try to convince you you look ugly if you don't wear it, other than for special occasions I don't bother with it so much, I still look cute. Most people look fine without makeup, but it's nice to have too and if people love to wear it or feel they need it that's fine too.

Unread 02-14-2011, 03:39 AM

18,251 posts, read 10,094,503 times
Quote:
So, it's sheer laziness that you don't wear makeup? Or do you?

Unread 02-14-2011, 09:47 AM

19,133 posts, read 12,237,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_gateway View Post
Okay here's a question? What's with the hipster freaks wearing their sisters jeans and dressing like morons? I understand there will always be some sort of counter-culture movement, and the next generation will try to be different than generations previous.
However, this current look of wearing super skinny jeans, coupled with the ridiculous hairstyles, is making our men look like idiots.
In my opinion this is disturbing.
I have a few friends who are the stereotypical 'hipster freaks' and you know what's funny?? They get more tail than the bros and 'tough guys' that I know.

Personally, I would take a guy in overly tight jeans over a guy in baggy crotch at the knee pants any day.

Unread 02-14-2011, 11:46 AM

3,433 posts, read 4,132,217 times
A woman not wearing makeup is not lesbian in nature nor in concept--being a lesbian has to do with sexual orientation, not gender nor sex, or even feminism--nor does it speak to laziness on the part of any woman in any country.

Want to know why I don't wear makeup? B/c I look *ridiculous* with it on during the day and b/c it is extremely impractical, which is why I save it for evening and/or important occasions. That way, it makes more of an impact when I do wear it.

Moreover, it's morbidly humid and hotter than hell most of the time where I live and, despite claims of makeup that is sweatproof, waterproof, etc., I have yet to find ANY makeup that will stay on while I am swimming, running, working out, etc. Not to mention how unbelievably uncomfortable it is; it feels like I am wearing a mask. It also makes me unbelievably self conscious: I have to be sure not to scratch my eyes, touch my face, that it is staying in place, etc. I will be damned that that--rather than the substantial tasks that I want to accomplish on a daily basis and over the course of my lifetime--would ever be what is important to me, or to anyone with whom I choose to surround myself, men included. Besides, how exactly is a guy supposed to kiss me or get near me if he is going to get smeared by something or smear something (and, thus, destroy the illusion that attracted him in the first place)? Not to mention, it destroys the spontaneity of what makes falling and being in love fun! It seems ridiculous to me to attract a guy with makeup that paradoxically prevents him from really knowing me or impedes him to be physical with me in any way.

Quite frankly, when I don't wear makeup (or a skirt, or heels), I find that I am able to accomplish more of the things that I set out to accomplish in life; in fact, I am able to focus on life itself rather than being constantly obsessed with myself (or, at least, my appearance). Dresses, skirts, heels, makeup, etc. make women into mannequins, with all of the inherent lack of comfort and mobility.

I am what I do and accomplish, not how I look while doing it. If I were worried about how I looked, I wouldn't get anything done.

Unread 02-14-2011, 12:47 PM

10,242 posts, read 9,566,168 times
Quote:

Tell me again why women should even wear make-up.

Unread 02-14-2011, 03:58 PM

837 posts, read 625,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Tell me again why women should even wear make-up.
Because our society and the mass media tells you that, as a female, you should not feel comfortable with your true appearance and that you absolutely must put on an artificial face each time you go out the door. If you don't, you will repel members of the opposite sex, be laughed at by members of your own sex, frighten children and babies, and cause the Apocalypse. Duh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty