Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2010, 08:07 PM

219 posts, read 527,357 times

Advertisements

So I'm horrible at shaving my upper legs--I get stubble and razor burn only to have my hair grow back in no time.

I'm looking to wax my legs at home within the next few days. Can anyone recommend a good waxing kit or give me some tips/pointers? I'm a guy (I cross-dress) and I'm hoping to go out this Friday night and I need my legs to be hair free. Right now the hair is starting to grow back (probably less than 1/8 of an inch in length). How long does it have to be before I can wax it?

Lastly, has anyone ever tried making their own sugar wax? Any info would be great!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2010, 08:51 PM

476 posts, read 1,134,501 times
I recommend a salon/spa if it's in your budget. I have a good friend who is a body builder and he prefers to wax rather than shave, so the guy just makes an appointment. I tried waxing at home once and (yeoooww!), never again.

If your mind is made up, there are an array of instructional vids online. Here's a
7 min shpeel that even tells you where to find the products.

Last edited by heavyweight; 05-11-2010 at 09:43 PM..

Old 05-12-2010, 07:53 PM

604 posts, read 856,006 times
A few tips:

Make sure the wax is warm enough to flow well but not so hot that it burns you. After you apply the wax, rub the fabric strip and press it down really well. Leave a tab at the end for you to grab onto. Wax and fabric both get applied in the same direction as the hair growth.

The important part: when you pull the strip off, grab it well between your thumb and forefinger. Use your other hand to hold the skin tight where you're removing the hair from. Rotate the hand holding the tab of the strip so your fingers are facing up (the back of your hand is against the body surface) and pull the strip back against the grain at a low angle to the body surface you're removing the hair from--pull it back against itself. If you yank the strip away from your body at a right angle it will hurt like crazy. Do it in one smooth motion like yanking off a bandaid.

Callsnap's idea is best: go to a salon if you can afford to. They are trained and all you have to do is lie on the table.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty