Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 10:21 AM

1,838 posts, read 2,957,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robee70 View Post
That's all semantics. My point is that make-up should complement and less of it doesn't mean that your face is incomplete. I guess it really depends on the face and the look you are going for. Exactly!

I've seen people that I didn't recognize after their make-up came off.
Yeah to me that is when make up is not applied correctly. You should still be recognizable without make up.

Make up takes years off Kelly but she's still recognizable.

Old 05-21-2010, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichele View Post
I just had this conversation with my sister. There IS a point where makeup and hair is just trying too darn hard.

We have an old associate who does this. She just tries too hard. She's been doing it since she was a teen. A ~30 yo woman now looks like a 45 yo who is trying to look like a 35 yo. Too much makeup can lead to all sorts of problems later in life. My sister actually said she looks like a corpse made up for her wake/viewing. I agree with sis. She looks almost dead with all that makeup.

The thing is this person is a beautiful person on the inside and outside sans all the makeup and foo foo hairdos.
Oh ok I understand what you're saying but when I witnessed it, the lady in question didn't look 'over the top' she just looked like a lady. Her make up and hair was tasteful and she was wearing heels with a nice blouse and pencil skirt. To me she was fly but then I heard the whispers of other women commenting on her supposedly 'trying to hard' and they just sounded jealous and bitter to me.

This is trying to hard

http://aslcdn.celebuzz.com/images/2008/03/pamela-anderson-pantless-photos-031708-11-thumb.jpg (broken link)

Not this.

Old 05-21-2010, 10:40 AM

29,623 posts, read 34,077,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
I definitely agree that there certainly IS a point where less is definitely more, and as said above, I'm 54. It seems I'm finding that especially as you get older, you need to apply cosmetics with a light hand. Again, just my opinion...
You're right. I think we've all seen those women in their 50s or 60s who are wearing the same make-up in the same way they did in their 20s or 30s, and it isn't pretty.

Old 05-21-2010, 10:53 AM

3,169 posts, read 5,136,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shysister View Post
Oh ok I understand what you're saying but when I witnessed it, the lady in question didn't look 'over the top' she just looked like a lady. Her make up and hair was tasteful and she was wearing heels with a nice blouse and pencil skirt. To me she was fly but then I heard the whispers of other women commenting on her supposedly 'trying to hard' and they just sounded jealous and bitter to me.

This is trying to hard

Not this.
The biggest difference in these two pics is Pam in dressed in an inappopriate way. Otherwise, I'd much prefer Pam's hair and makeup over Wendy's. I wonder how much Wendy paid for all that weave? To me, paying hundreds or thousands of dollars for hair is just trying too hard. I do agree that Wendy is much more naturally prettier than Pam. Her outfit is also something I'd wear.

I guess what it boils down to for me is trying too hard is when you look much better without all the grooming. There are many women in the world who could pull that off but for whatever reason feel more comfortable with their "face" on.

Old 05-21-2010, 11:21 AM

Quote:
The biggest difference in these two pics is Pam in dressed in an inappopriate way. Otherwise, I'd much prefer Pam's hair and makeup over Wendy's. I wonder how much Wendy paid for all that weave? To me, paying hundreds or thousands of dollars for hair is just trying too hard. I do agree that Wendy is much more naturally prettier than Pam. Her outfit is also something I'd wear.

I guess what it boils down to for me is trying too hard is when you look much better without all the grooming. There are many women in the world who could pull that off but for whatever reason feel more comfortable with their "face" on.
You think Wendy's hair is more than Pam's? Pam is obviously wearing extensions because I doubt her natural hair is that full and extensions are not cheap so she very well could have paid more for hers than Wendy. What does price have to do with anything anyway? So a person who chooses not to wear extensions is not trying too hard but someone who does is? I seriously don't get it and it sounds like jealousy to me.

Is this trying to hard?
Moderator cut: image removed

Last edited by picmod; 01-10-2014 at 09:31 AM..

Old 05-21-2010, 11:27 AM

29,623 posts, read 34,077,569 times
Isn't that Heidi Montag? She's the poster child for trying too hard.

Old 05-21-2010, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
lol yeah that's Heidi before all the dramatic plastic surgery and to me she isn't trying to hard in that pic but now is a different story.

Old 05-21-2010, 11:57 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,536,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Oh, no kidding. I read Go Fug Yourself: Because Fugly Is The New Pretty (hilarious site), and every now and then there are pictures of her and Spencer in some ridiculous photo shoot.

Old 05-21-2010, 12:26 PM

3,169 posts, read 5,136,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shysister View Post
You think Wendy's hair is more than Pam's? Pam is obviously wearing extensions because I doubt her natural hair is that full and extensions are not cheap so she very well could have paid more for hers than Wendy. What does price have to do with anything anyway? So a person who chooses not to wear extensions is not trying too hard but someone who does is? I seriously don't get it and it sounds like jealousy to me.

Is this trying to hard?
Why do you seem to be taking this so personal?

Okay, yes I'm jealous that someone is buying extensions (don't know where that came from) but yeah, that's it. I'm jealous (running my hands through my pretty good OWN hair), you got me. Now can we move on from this issue with jealousy that you seem to have?

I simply wondered how much Wendy paid for her extensions because she's usually wearing short cuts that are much more becoming on her. I know Pam Anderson enough to know that she's always dressed in a mane of blonde hair. She's really kind of extra and random to me so I don't care about her extensions.

That person in the picture you post has a bad makeup job, period.

Old 05-21-2010, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Why do you seem to be taking this so personal?

Okay, yes I'm jealous that someone is buying extensions (don't know where that came from) but yeah, that's it. I'm jealous (running my hands through my pretty good OWN hair), you got me. Now can we move on from this issue with jealousy that you seem to have?

I simply wondered how much Wendy paid for her extensions because she's usually wearing short cuts that are much more becoming on her. I know Pam Anderson enough to know that she's always dressed in a mane of blonde hair. She's really kind of extra and random to me so I don't care about her extensions.

That person in the picture you post has a bad makeup job, period.
lol I'm not taking it personal I'm simply trying to see your point of view which is what discussions are all about and you didn't answer my questions. Is wearing extensions 'trying to hard'?

I don't understand how Wendy choosing to switch up her style is seen as 'trying to hard' and how does price makes a difference when she can afford it? and you said you'd rather have Pam's hair than Wendy's yet you agree that Pam's hair is over the top. So I'm not understanding your perception of trying to hard.

I'm not directly accusing you of being jealous however when women make comments such as 'trying to hard' when a woman is not distasteful in appearance comes off as jealousy to me. Just like those women I heard talking about that woman. There was nothing wrong with her appearance but since they couldn't pick her apart and find something bad to say, they resulted in saying she's 'trying to hard' instead of just admitting the woman looked nice. But I guess since they didn't look as good as her they had to find something negative to say about her in order for them to feel good about themselves.

And for the record I don't wear extensions as I don't have a need too since my hair is naturally like Heidi's in this pic but I'm sure out in public people assume I have extensions.
Moderator cut: image removed

Last edited by picmod; 01-10-2014 at 09:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.