Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 11:08 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,535,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Obesity was weird in the 80s.
Not really. It was only weird for those of us who were just growing up in the 80s, but there were plenty of fatties around us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 09:39 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
I think that you only see the 'body mod tattooed etc.' crowd as being more prevalent is because they do stick out so much. You don't notice the people who are just wearing jeans and a tshirt and are dressed plainly because...well...they're dressed plainly so it makes the modified crowd stand out more.

I still get weird looks and comments (rarely negative though) about my tattoos because it's still not all that common to see a woman with a full sleeve where I live in California.

Old 06-07-2010, 06:35 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
My boyfriend is 30, and his style could best be described as classic casual... khakis, polos, plain, normal-fit (as opposed to hipster tight) jeans, button-ups to work...and is fairly basic-to-slightly conservative in his dress. As "out there" as his wardrobe gets is a collection of kitschy t-shirts. He's a mild-mannered guy who has no tattoos or piercings, never wanted any nor would they suit him. He is a musician, but classical and jazz, not rock/pop.

I am a 33-year old who dresses artsy-bohemian; scarves, skirts, long hair, gypsy bangles...kinda like a Fleetwood Mac album cover, just always been a look I've liked. I also have two fairly discreet tattoos. For me, I've always been one to just wear what I like best, sometimes it matches trends, sometimes not. I also will NOT embrace a trend that I know looks like crap on me (what up, skinny jeans?).

We are both "normal," and neither of us ever gave it a single thought that our chosen styles made us "not the other's kind of person." I couldn't anymore envision him in tie-dye, or dressed all emo'd out than he could envision me in a button-down oxford, cardigan, pencil skirt, and sensible pumps.

Most importantly, fashion taste doesn't necessarily make you conformist or noncomformist. Personal philosophies go (or, at least, they SHOULD go) a lot deeper than whatever fabric you're using to enshroud your body.

Old 06-07-2010, 06:40 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket_factor View Post
Plus the sleeve tattoos are everywhere as well - Trader Joe's, hair salons, Whole Foods. But they're not in the corporate world, though.
Don't be so sure...they're easily hidden under oxford shirts and suit jackets (and physicians' coats, and judge's robes, and clerical vestments, etc.)

Old 06-07-2010, 08:01 PM

1,233 posts, read 2,825,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umberlee View Post
The ear things are called "gauges" (like a gas gauge) and yes, they are hideous.
No, they aren't. Take it from someone who has stretched ears, has friends with very large stretched ears, and is dating someone with stretched ears. A gauge is a unit of measurement.

I don't particularly look like the usual "tattooed and pierced" crowd. Most of my clothing is from American Eagle and Hollister. While my hair is black, only a few items of my clothing are. I listen to speed metal and indie pop. I do like the ripped jeans look, but I'm not a crust punk. I've got one tattoo so far and it isn't a tramp stamp or any of the current tattoo trends, my ears are currently at 8mm (I just downsized to thicken the lobe, my ultimate goal is 3/4"), I have my tongue pierced and two lip piercings.

Body modifications aren't just an "emo" or "alternative" look anymore, and not everyone with them fits into those categories.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:31 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,647,423 times
Your ears and nose will continue to grow downward until you die. Imagine those big old ears flopping in your face every time you look down? You'll have to toss your dumbo-sized ears over your shoulder so you can see. Actually if you grow your ears long enough, you can pull them to the back of your head and make a "pony tail," to keep them out of your face. I can see it now, ears will be the new hair.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:42 AM

4,040 posts, read 7,442,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bright_future View Post
But in the place I live, it is honestly like 75% or so of people I see or meet have tattoos, and/or piercings, or black shade dressers who almost always have the tattoos and piercings as well.
You just happen to live in the wrong place.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emi__ View Post
No, they aren't. Take it from someone who has stretched ears, has friends with very large stretched ears, and is dating someone with stretched ears. A gauge is a unit of measurement.

I don't particularly look like the usual "tattooed and pierced" crowd. Most of my clothing is from American Eagle and Hollister. While my hair is black, only a few items of my clothing are. I listen to speed metal and indie pop. I do like the ripped jeans look, but I'm not a crust punk. I've got one tattoo so far and it isn't a tramp stamp or any of the current tattoo trends, my ears are currently at 8mm (I just downsized to thicken the lobe, my ultimate goal is 3/4"), I have my tongue pierced and two lip piercings.

Body modifications aren't just an "emo" or "alternative" look anymore, and not everyone with them fits into those categories.
Me neither. I listen to rockabilly, 'classic rock' and classical music and I play mandolin in a bluegrass band and have played double bass in symphonies. I don't wear super dark clothing all the time and my hair is a nice red/auburn color. In fact, if my arms were covered up (due to sleeves) you would probably not be able to pick me out of a crowd.

My tattoos were all drawn out by my sister who is an amazing artist, and I'm thinking of getting a small piece in the middle of my back drawn by my boyfriends dad who is a very very well known nature artist. I have a lot of bird tattoos

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
Your ears and nose will continue to grow downward until you die. Imagine those big old ears flopping in your face every time you look down? You'll have to toss your dumbo-sized ears over your shoulder so you can see. Actually if you grow your ears long enough, you can pull them to the back of your head and make a "pony tail," to keep them out of your face. I can see it now, ears will be the new hair.
Actually, it's the small earrings that cause the 'cheese wire' effect that I feel are more unattractive. It's really easy to close up previously stretched ears. I went from 1" ears down to 3mm in a few weeks and you can't even tell I had them that large.

My sister had hers taken in with a small stitch because she's joining the police force and they don't allow stretched ears. They healed nicely and there was only a small dot for scarring.

Old 06-08-2010, 10:30 AM

1,233 posts, read 2,825,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Me neither. I listen to rockabilly, 'classic rock' and classical music and I play mandolin in a bluegrass band and have played double bass in symphonies. I don't wear super dark clothing all the time and my hair is a nice red/auburn color. In fact, if my arms were covered up (due to sleeves) you would probably not be able to pick me out of a crowd.
Same here.

People always seem to think those of us with tattoos and piercings are screaming for attention, when the majority tend to blend in with society pretty well, haha.

And oh man, the cheesewire effect! The horror! I'll take dumbo ears over a split lobe any day.

Old 06-08-2010, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emi__ View Post
Same here.

People always seem to think those of us with tattoos and piercings are screaming for attention, when the majority tend to blend in with society pretty well, haha.

And oh man, the cheesewire effect! The horror! I'll take dumbo ears over a split lobe any day.
Yep! When I played with the symphony, I had to wear a long sleeved long black dress and nobody even knew I had tattoos until a few weeks after rehearsal started. It cracked me up when I had very stoic, serious concert violinists tell me they 'wished' they could get tattoos like mine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty