Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 11:02 AM

1,230 posts, read 3,175,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post
  1. Irrelevant to the topic being discussed regarding a specific article.
  2. Self check outs are already common in grocery stores, as well as Wal-marts, in many areas of the U.S. right now. They've been in my local Wal-mart for a few years now.
I think you are missing my point. Yes they have been in stores for a while now. However my point is they are one updating them and two adding more thus needing less employees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2010, 11:05 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,160,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrenee View Post
I think you are missing my point. Yes they have been in stores for a while now. However my point is they are one updating them and two adding more thus needing less employees.
Yes, of course. I'm missing your point.

Old 10-03-2010, 11:28 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrenee View Post
I know what you are trying to say, but you are the one missing the point: check-out is not the only place where companies need people. In fact, it is probably one of the least needed. How about stockers, office workers, buyers, distributors, truck drivers, top management, payroll, employees in new stores throughout the world, etc. Putting in self check out has little to do with how much help a company will need in 5 years.

Nita

Old 10-03-2010, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I know what you are trying to say, but you are the one missing the point: check-out is not the only place where companies need people. In fact, it is probably one of the least needed. How about stockers, office workers, buyers, distributors, truck drivers, top management, payroll, employees in new stores throughout the world, etc. Putting in self check out has little to do with how much help a company will need in 5 years.

Nita
Dear Nita,
You are good for my mental health.
Sincerely,
Kimballette

Old 10-03-2010, 12:28 PM

731 posts, read 1,367,697 times
The self check out is beneficial to teenagers buying beer, or when you are buying something embarrassing like Preparation H or condoms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post

Nita

Old 10-03-2010, 01:27 PM

810 posts, read 1,578,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenoter View Post
The self check out is beneficial to teenagers buying beer, or when you are buying something embarrassing like Preparation H or condoms.
really how is that? last time I checked you can't self checkout alcohol. Please speak with real facts.

i heard Walmart bought a big chain in South Africa, that might be where some of those jobs are going. They speak English there so more opportunities for Americans.

Old 10-03-2010, 01:57 PM

731 posts, read 1,367,697 times
This is in far SW Missouri. The rules followed by the rest of America aren't really important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hialeah_Rules View Post
really how is that? last time I checked you can't self checkout alcohol. Please speak with real facts.

Old 10-03-2010, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hialeah_Rules View Post

i heard Walmart bought a big chain in South Africa, that might be where some of those jobs are going. They speak English there so more opportunities for Americans.
So you chose your very first post on the Arkansas board to be on the topic of self checkout alcohol? Ohhhhhkaaaaaayyyyy... BTW, have you ever heard of sarcasm? Irony? The o/p was joking.

Last edited by Kimballette; 10-03-2010 at 03:02 PM..

Old 10-03-2010, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenoter View Post
This is in far SW Missouri. The rules followed by the rest of America aren't really important.
Indeed.

Old 10-03-2010, 09:55 PM

111 posts, read 391,059 times
People who gripe about Walmart don't stop to think that what they represent is progress in mass distribution and that if they had not made the advances someone else would have. WalMart didn't make jobs go to China, if they hadn't supplied the distribution channels someone else would have. If they and all of their competitors all got together and decided they wouldn't import from China the govt would have fallen down on them for collusion and price fixing because everything would be more expensive and they be making a lot more per unit of product but selling a lot less. Of course in that environment you wouldn't know what they weren't selling, you'd just know they were making more per unit.

The "Mom & Pop" stores that people wax nostalgic about were prevalent back no later than the 70's or so, when the population was a lot less than it is now. Saying you'd like to go back to the distribution system in place back then would be like saying you wish the interstate highway system would go away so that people would be forced to drive down Main Street in all the little towns in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers