Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 12:36 PM

731 posts, read 1,368,071 times

Advertisements

Bella Vista rated one of top 5 best places to retire in the United States by US News & World Report.

Bella Vista, AR - Best Places to Retire - US News

How would you compare retiring in Arkansas compared to Florida and Arizona?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2010, 03:19 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenoter View Post
Bella Vista rated one of top 5 best places to retire in the United States by US News & World Report.

Bella Vista, AR - Best Places to Retire - US News

How would you compare retiring in Arkansas compared to Florida and Arizona?
BV is less expensive than either AZ or Florida for starters plus they have 4 seasons. I think the people are more down to earth, but remember many of the people in NWA are from everywhere except AR. One thing that I found interesting, so many think we have nothing but a bunch of old farts here, only 35% fo the people in BV are retired, so it is more diverse than many think. I think this is good, not bad.

There are a few disadvantages, ice storms can be a real problem but are rare and our roads are curvey with many people thinking 30 miles an hour ita too fast to drive, so things sometimes cars move very slowly. Not all of the area is that way, just 98%.

Nita

Old 10-07-2010, 03:22 PM

697 posts, read 1,775,543 times
I hadn't noticed that- thanks for sharing! I would like to add a stipulation though- the "best places to retire" list seems to have been done differently and broken down into categories this year. Bella Vista was listed as one of the "10 Best Places to Retire" in the category "Places with the most retirees".
I was surprised to see Bella Vista listed as having "limited" healthcare when other cities (even in the NWA metro) were listed as "comprehensive". Is that just because Bella Vista relies on Bentonville/Rogers for health care facilities, or am I missing something?

Others Arkansas cities on the Top 10 lists:
Fayetteville, AR- #9 on "10 Best Affordable Mountain Towns for Retirement"
Little Rock, AR-#4 on "10 Best Places to Downsize in Retirement"

Categorical explanations:

Bella Vista, AR- #5 on ""Places With the Most Retirees"
In these cities, nearly a quarter or more of the population is made up of retirees, making for communities full of activities and services to accommodate a retired crowd.

These towns are great for retirees who would love to forget about the hustle and bustle of the city and become more acquainted with the outdoors. Each offers scenic views and groomed slopes at a low price.

Many Americans are looking for a way to reduce their cost of living in retirement. Here are 10 places that don't skimp on the services but still offer plenty of fun and low-cost activates for retirees.

Old 10-07-2010, 03:35 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewizard16 View Post
Many Americans are looking for a way to reduce their cost of living in retirement. Here are 10 places that don't skimp on the services but still offer plenty of fun and low-cost activates for retirees.
Too dang many old people!

Oops! I'm one.

We're retired just across the border in SW MO.

Old 10-07-2010, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewizard16 View Post
I hadn't noticed that- thanks for sharing! I would like to add a stipulation though- the "best places to retire" list seems to have been done differently and broken down into categories this year. Bella Vista was listed as one of the "10 Best Places to Retire" in the category "Places with the most retirees".
I was surprised to see Bella Vista listed as having "limited" healthcare when other cities (even in the NWA metro) were listed as "comprehensive". Is that just because Bella Vista relies on Bentonville/Rogers for health care facilities, or am I missing something?

Others Arkansas cities on the Top 10 lists:

Categorical explanations:

Bella Vista, AR- #5 on ""Places With the Most Retirees"
In these cities, nearly a quarter or more of the population is made up of retirees, making for communities full of activities and services to accommodate a retired crowd.

These towns are great for retirees who would love to forget about the hustle and bustle of the city and become more acquainted with the outdoors. Each offers scenic views and groomed slopes at a low price.

As a retiree in BV, I love these studies and we usually are very high on the list, but that being said, I have never put much into such reports except as bragging rights go.

as for health facilities, yes, we don't have a lot of doctors right in BV, we don't have a lot of anything except golf courses, lakes, churches, banks and curvy roads, but we are so close to great hospitals, specials and a wonderful amblulance service, I don't think it is an issue or shouldn't be.

Nita

Old 10-07-2010, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Too dang many old people!

Oops! I'm one.

We're retired just across the border in SW MO.
watch it Buster!!!!!!!!

Old 10-07-2010, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
watch it Buster!!!!!!!!
Well, at least I didn't say "old farts" or "geezers!" This time!

Old 10-07-2010, 06:27 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,191,954 times
You look quite good for your age,Curmudgeon.

Old 10-07-2010, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
You look quite good for your age,Curmudgeon.
Dern tootin'!

Old 10-07-2010, 08:41 PM

2,023 posts, read 5,313,112 times
Even though I am nowhere near retirement age, I would like to end up in North Dakota by then. Not a big fan of Bella Vista myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers