U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 09:31 PM

1,466 posts, read 2,519,187 times

Advertisements

I have a friend who just started a job at WM and she actually commented that it felt like a church environment. Take that for what it is worth. She was saying that as a positive thing, though.

Old 03-30-2011, 01:00 AM

110 posts, read 218,844 times
I chuckle at the liberal types who are supposed to be so much more open-minded than the rest of us who seem to be the most concerned that everybody thinks like they do wherever they move.

Old 03-30-2011, 06:27 AM

49,633 posts, read 41,783,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerotive View Post
I live in Fayetteville and have lived in Bentonville, and I say with confidence that there's not much of anything interesting going on in Bentonville. The new museum will help though. Bentonville is a small, dry, conservative, company town--none of those qualities meet my definition of interesting.
It is small in comparison to a major city, of course. I think the OP already realizes this: it is conservative but not everyone that lives in Bentonville and surrounding areas are religious right wingers. As for being dry, OMG, why do people base so much on where they can buy booze? Living in the area, you know restaurants are not dry and all one has to do is drive about 5 miles to Washingon county which is not dry. Lord knows I am not a tea tottler and yet I would never judge a community on whether I could buy booze or not, nor would I consider being a dry city or county as having much to do with a place being interesting.

If Bentonville was in the middle of nowhere, say 10 miles from any town, I would agree, it isn't the place for the OP, even though that is an opinion only, but living in NWA isn't much different from living in most places. As I mentioned there are things to do, good dining, lots of outdoor activities, lots of organizations, places to walk dogs, a never ending number of golf courses, and in many ways it is rather contempory although it is more conservative than some areas. We have lived in CA (both no and so) Washington DC, Dallas and Albuquerque, we find this area, though more laid back and a little slower very similar to the burbs most places. On occassion we miss certain conveniences and certain shopping, like Trader Joes.

Of course the OP does not have to actually live in Bentonville, he can choose Fayetteville which certainly is a little less conservative and I guess interesting cause they have bars and liquor stores.

It is simply how you see things, you obviously enjoy the party scene which is fine, we enjoy other things and neither of us have any idea if the OP is looking for a place to party or a place to enjoy other aspects of life such as the outdoors.

Nita

Old 03-30-2011, 07:29 AM

4 posts, read 10,018 times
Thanks everyone for the replies. They definitely help.

We're kind of middle of the road ppl. Moderates in pretty much everything we do. ; ) We just want to have enough to do have meaningful lives and not be too excessively bored, especially since we don't have children.

We don't drink but a bottle or two of wine a year so that's not a big deal if the county's dry but a Mexican restaurant with good margaritas would be great place to go on weekends.

As far as shopping, we do appreciate good grocery stores. We've become very enamored with Publixes when we lived further South and Wegmens when we lived in the NE. Great produce and a certain variety of shopping are a must as well as outdoor activities. Any particular grocery stores that ppl recommend? Is there a small town 'whole foods' - farmer's market near by in Bentonville?

We love to hike and try to stay in shape (working on it), but don't want to get in a situation where there are no opportunities to do that, but it seems like park areas abound in NWA.

Regarding the church atmosphere in the office. I'd rather have that rather than a good ol' boy/frat boy environment. Been there done that and nothing gets done. Most importantly, I do appreciate a positive environment and that employees feel appreciated.

We *would* live in Bentonville. I'm not one for much of a commute. A drive into Fayetteville on the weekends is fine. But I like to drive in fairly quickly and get home quickly as well. We would prob live as close as possible to WM HQ.

BTW, as far as topography - is 540 from Fayetteville to I40 fairly flat?

Thanks again for responses!

Last edited by segantimale; 03-30-2011 at 07:44 AM..

Old 03-30-2011, 09:15 AM

29,079 posts, read 11,665,383 times
Quote:
I live in Fayetteville and have lived in Bentonville, and I say with confidence that there's not much of anything interesting going on in Bentonville. The new museum will help though. Bentonville is a small, dry, conservative, company town--none of those qualities meet my definition of interesting.
I've lived throughout NWA, and I can say with confidence that there is plenty of interesting things going on throughout Northwest Arkansas, including Bentonville. People who are bored are boring people. People who are interesting find interesting activities wherever they live.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:39 AM

12,439 posts, read 5,706,070 times
Quote:
I would have to agree with that, but Fayetteville is so close and is a lot more interesting.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:09 AM

119 posts, read 196,214 times
"BTW, as far as topography - is 540 from Fayetteville to I40 fairly flat?"

No. It's hilly. However it was built to interstate quality so the grades and curves are very easy to navigate.

If someone has trouble driving 540 to 40 frankly they shouldn't be driving period.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:15 AM

119 posts, read 196,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
It is small in comparison to a major city, of course. I think the OP already realizes this: it is conservative but not everyone that lives in Bentonville and surrounding areas are religious right wingers. As for being dry, OMG, why do people base so much on where they can buy booze? Living in the area, you know restaurants are not dry and all one has to do is drive about 5 miles to Washingon county which is not dry. Lord knows I am not a tea tottler and yet I would never judge a community on whether I could buy booze or not, nor would I consider being a dry city or county as having much to do with a place being interesting.

If Bentonville was in the middle of nowhere, say 10 miles from any town, I would agree, it isn't the place for the OP, even though that is an opinion only, but living in NWA isn't much different from living in most places. As I mentioned there are things to do, good dining, lots of outdoor activities, lots of organizations, places to walk dogs, a never ending number of golf courses, and in many ways it is rather contempory although it is more conservative than some areas. We have lived in CA (both no and so) Washington DC, Dallas and Albuquerque, we find this area, though more laid back and a little slower very similar to the burbs most places. On occassion we miss certain conveniences and certain shopping, like Trader Joes.

Of course the OP does not have to actually live in Bentonville, he can choose Fayetteville which certainly is a little less conservative and I guess interesting cause they have bars and liquor stores.

It is simply how you see things, you obviously enjoy the party scene which is fine, we enjoy other things and neither of us have any idea if the OP is looking for a place to party or a place to enjoy other aspects of life such as the outdoors.

Nita
Yes you wrote an accurate description of Bentonville, it's certainly a nice, safe place to live. Schools are good, cost of living is low, unemployment is low, crime is low etc. Interesting? Well, no. It's just not.

Looking at the bigger picture FYV doesn't rate all that well on the interestingness scale either--in the context of NWA, yes, nationally, not particularly.

Btw I'm not much of a partier, but whether a city/county is dry is something I do take into account--places that are dry tend to be boring and stuffy.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:39 AM

3,370 posts, read 3,387,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by segantimale View Post
I've been looking at jobs at WalMart HQ in Bentonville for IT positions. I'm just married and @40. My wife and I don't plan to have kids. Is this a place for us? Is there much to do there? We also aren't very religious so meeting ppl at church isn't an option.

The pay would be twice what I'm currently making but as they say...money can't buy happiness and I truly believe that. We may be able to live a lot better in so many ways, but we're not very materialistic.

How are the working conditions at WalMart HQ? Do ppl still have to work on Saturdays? Is it cube world?

Any recommendations/thoughts are helpful.

Thanks in advance!
Quote:
Yes you wrote an accurate description of Bentonville, it's certainly a nice, safe place to live. Schools are good, cost of living is low, unemployment is low, crime is low etc. Interesting? Well, no. It's just not.

Looking at the bigger picture FYV doesn't rate all that well on the interestingness scale either--in the context of NWA, yes, nationally, not particularly.

Btw I'm not much of a partier, but whether a city/county is dry is something I do take into account--places that are dry tend to be boring and stuffy.
I really think your comments have little relevance to the o/p's actual situation and question. He didn't ask about anyone's opinion of whether B'ville is "interesting." He asked for facts and details. I think you've completely explained your opinion on the topic of "interesting."

Old 03-30-2011, 10:39 AM

3,370 posts, read 3,387,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I've lived throughout NWA, and I can say with confidence that there is plenty of interesting things going on throughout Northwest Arkansas, including Bentonville. People who are bored are boring people. People who are interesting find interesting activities wherever they live.
Very well said!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers