Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 12:05 PM

2 posts, read 15,495 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! My husband is going for an interview for Walmart in Bentonville, AR and I was just wondering what it's like there as far as the weather, how nice the people are, what are the schools like, can you get alcohol anywhere near there, would it be worth it to go. We are from the Central NY area, way too expensive to live here. There are way more people here than jobs, so it's forcing us to move elsewhere. Please help us out! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2007, 12:29 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tantom123 View Post
Hello everyone! My husband is going for an interview for Walmart in Bentonville, AR and I was just wondering what it's like there as far as the weather, how nice the people are, what are the schools like, can you get alcohol anywhere near there, would it be worth it to go. We are from the Central NY area, way too expensive to live here. There are way more people here than jobs, so it's forcing us to move elsewhere. Please help us out! Thank you!
I have only visited so am not an expert, but from what we have seen it would be a great place to raise kids. The school are good, the people very friendly and the cost of living low compared to anywhere in NY I would think.

Now,as for alcohol, the county is dry, but the MO boarder is only about 10 minute or so away and right there, staring you in the face, when you cross over are two large liqour stores. One has an outstanding wine celler.

Good luck,

Nita

Old 07-29-2007, 02:03 PM

154 posts, read 679,623 times
Tantom123 - Northwest Arkansas (NWA) experiences four seasons - summers are hot and kinda humid with temperatures in the high 80's to mid 90's most of the summer and every now and then we will hit the 100 degree mark. Fall is beautiful and we experience a changing of colors like you have in mid / upstate NY. Winter's can be cold with temperatures dipping into the teens but we don't experience much winter precipitation ... unfortunetly when we do it usually starts with sleet or freezing rain.

People are friendly and you will not be the only NY'er in whatever neighborhood you choose to move into ... lots of professionals have moved to NWA for their careers.

Bentonville schools are good - you will be pleased.

Benton county is the "wettest dry county in America" as most restaurants serve alcohol. NMnita is correct in that the Missouri state line is just minutes away and right across the state line Mac-a-doodles has a very extensive wine selection. Or you can always mosey down to Fayetteville and peruse our spirit shops.

And yes, you will notice a huge drop in cost of living from what you are experiencing in mid-state NY.

Old 07-29-2007, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boulder View Post
Tantom123 - Northwest Arkansas (NWA) experiences four seasons - summers are hot and kinda humid with temperatures in the high 80's to mid 90's most of the summer and every now and then we will hit the 100 degree mark. Fall is beautiful and we experience a changing of colors like you have in mid / upstate NY. Winter's can be cold with temperatures dipping into the teens but we don't experience much winter precipitation ... unfortunetly when we do it usually starts with sleet or freezing rain.

People are friendly and you will not be the only NY'er in whatever neighborhood you choose to move into ... lots of professionals have moved to NWA for their careers.

Bentonville schools are good - you will be pleased.

Benton county is the "wettest dry county in America" as most restaurants serve alcohol. NMnita is correct in that the Missouri state line is just minutes away and right across the state line Mac-a-doodles has a very extensive wine selection. Or you can always mosey down to Fayetteville and peruse our spirit shops.

And yes, you will notice a huge drop in cost of living from what you are experiencing in mid-state NY.
boulder, it was mac-a-doodles we were so impressed with. When we told our granddaughter about finding it, before we got the name out she knew exactly what store. Wine was much cheaper or certainly somewhat cheaper than here in NM.

Nita

Old 07-29-2007, 10:59 PM

2 posts, read 15,495 times
Thank you for your input and taking the time to give us a sense of what it's like down there! My husband and myself have lived in Central NY all of our lives and want to make the right choice. Again, you have been a big help, thanks a bunch!

Old 11-01-2008, 05:17 AM

1 posts, read 7,217 times
Hi there-

I saw your post from last year, and find myself in a very simillar position. We are currently considering relocating to Bentonville from NYC. Do you have and advice/thoughts from your move? Any help would be appreciated. Many thanks!

Old 11-01-2008, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantom123 View Post
my take: Bentonville is very family oriented so you should find the school good plus, I would guess, property a whole lot less expensive than Central NY..

Our weather, early this week the nights had dropped to the mid 20s for a couple of days, but now it is back to 50s at night and 70s during the day. This will be our first winter, we have heard there will be some snow and a few ice storms but nothing compared to up north. Our summer days were high 80s to mid 90s most of the time...Nights in the 70s. All in all, so far, after 5 months we love the weather and the people.

Now for the alcohol question: you can buy it in Washington County (next county over) but not Benton. We live in Bella Vista so normally go to So MO (about 15 minutes away) to get ours.

I think, if you come, with a positive attitude and don't try to compare here with somewhere else you will love it..

Nita

Old 11-01-2008, 11:38 AM

529 posts, read 1,651,187 times
I was in Oneonta, NY a few months ago which is somewhat Central NY. There were some areas where I felt like I was in NWA.

Old 11-01-2008, 12:03 PM

452 posts, read 1,640,503 times
Bentonville is kinda traditionally narrow-minded when it comes to politics etc compared to NY but with lots of newcomers coming it it might not be too bad

Old 11-01-2008, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetmeoutofAR View Post
Bentonville is kinda traditionally narrow-minded when it comes to politics etc compared to NY but with lots of newcomers coming it it might not be too bad
Well the one thing we are all missing here, this thread is over a year old. Now, as for being narrow-minded compared to NY, what do you really know about central and upstate NY? The state, like Calif is very large and has all type of political minds, New York City is very different from say? Buffalo. WE also have no idea about the OPs overall views on life...

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers