U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-28-2011, 03:04 PM

50,027 posts, read 42,368,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagelw View Post
The OP stated "By intellectual, I do not mean liberal". How are you reading that the OP is looking for a liberal church? I took the OP as looking for a church that is a little deeper in their teachings, one that possibly goes beyond the typical sunday bible school lessons.

The Sunday services at some of the larger churches may not be what the OP is looking for but I would think one of the larger churches in the area would at least offer some sort of classes that the OP would be interested in. I would not write off any of the churches listed so far just because they are part of a certain denomination.
you are right, I misread it and I apologize. Ok?

Nita
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
I think he said "by intellectual I do NOT mean liberal". I think you may have misread his post. Other than that I can't help him. First you would have to define what an intellectual is and second it would have to be nondenominational.

An easier task would be, which churches are more affluent and have more educated congregation, which does not necessarily mean "intellectual". It would seem that he does not want a church that follows creationism. That would narrow the field a little more.
thanks for pointing this out to me, and thanks for doing it in a nice way: yes, I did mis-read it..

I too would have to say, I am not quite sure what he is seeking, but St Pauls is on the liberal side, because of its location, probably does have more intellectuals and is larger than most Epicsopalian churches. Yes, it is denominational but still might be worth his considering.

Nita

Old 04-28-2011, 03:19 PM

519 posts, read 968,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
you are right, I misread it and I apologize. Ok?

Nita
Ok what?
Apparently I said the same thing as hotair2 but not in a nice way.

Old 04-30-2011, 05:45 PM

6 posts, read 11,663 times
I don't mind if lots of people in the church believe in young earth (literal 7 day) creationism, I just can't go to one where it's required because I don't believe in it.

Bagelw described what I'm looking for better than I did. I'm looking for a place that goes a little deeper than usual. Maybe has a few members who study theology on a scholarly level though not necessarily formally. Definitely not liberal. I find most very liberal churches to be as anti-intellectual as the most strident fundamentalist churches. At least, that's been my experience.

Old 04-30-2011, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karson View Post
I don't mind if lots of people in the church believe in young earth (literal 7 day) creationism, I just can't go to one where it's required because I don't believe in it.

Bagelw described what I'm looking for better than I did. I'm looking for a place that goes a little deeper than usual. Maybe has a few members who study theology on a scholarly level though not necessarily formally. Definitely not liberal. I find most very liberal churches to be as anti-intellectual as the most strident fundamentalist churches. At least, that's been my experience.
I really do think St Pauls or any Epsicopal church would be worth a try. You will find a good mixture and no one or nothing about the church will require you to think in any direction.

Nita

Old 08-14-2011, 09:39 PM

1 posts, read 813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karson View Post
I know that my thread title is terrible. I'm not sure how else to put it though I'm sure there is a better way.

I'm looking for a nondenominational church that is family friendly and has more than a few members who are into challenging intellectual pursuits. (Doesn't matter what they're into, could be medicine, math, philosophy, whatever. And not necessarily professionally. Just some highly intelligent and intellectually curious people.) and, perhaps, deeply interested in theology. People who like to discuss and debate and who do it well.

I'm not looking for a church where everyone is of that type, but I'd like to find one with a small group like that. I've been to a few different churches, but it's impossible to tell right away if there are many members of this sort, so I wanted to see if anyone here had suggestions that would narrow my search.

Thanks, and I apologize if this is too direct.
I don't know if you're still looking for a non-denominational church, but we love our church in Tontitown, AR near Springdale. It has Baptist roots, but Pastor Larry is a down to earth guy who has been a pastor for over 40 years. He has a doctorate in theology, but acts like your next door neighbor. It's called CrossPointe Community Church, and it's worth looking at! Hope to see you there!!

Last edited by Kimballette; 08-14-2011 at 10:05 PM.. Reason: fixed quote tags

Old 04-11-2012, 01:06 PM

1 posts, read 670 times
The title of this thread cracks me up and I know this post is late but wanted to give input in case anyone is still interested.

From my experience (and as others have said) the grove church is pretty intellectual in both theology and congregation. but it is no where in the same ball park as unitarian if that is what you are looking for fyi. the Grove was planted by Fellowship but is pretty independant now and was initially focused on the college educated demographic in fayetteville, meeting in Dickson Street theater (bar) for many years.

Moderator cut: snip

Last edited by Kimballette; 04-11-2012 at 02:35 PM.. Reason: new members may not post links
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers