Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 09:44 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,151,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman01 View Post
The south has been so stereotyped by our mainstream press and hollywood for so long I don't blame the op for expressing concern. She's supposed to automatically assume we're all white and out to get her.
The interesting thing here: we are argueing or discussing if blacks and other minorities are welcome in NWA (they are) but that being said, the OP hasn't even come back to express concerns, tell us what she decided, etc. I wonder where she is?

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 10:22 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,131,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
The interesting thing here: we are argueing or discussing if blacks and other minorities are welcome in NWA (they are) but that being said, the OP hasn't even come back to express concerns, tell us what she decided, etc. I wonder where she is?

Nita
I imagine she's been reading the responses in this thread and just shaking her head. She probably has nothing more to ask about the situation.

Old 01-25-2012, 02:49 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,157,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post

Nita
Of course blacks and other minorities are welcome in arkansas. Having said that we may well have scared her off. OOPs.

Old 01-25-2012, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post
I'm not from Arkansas; I live in Arizona. However, I do have a lot of family in NW Arkansas - mostly Bentonville, Bella Vista, and Rogers. When I visit them, I'm struck by how it's nothing like I imagine the South, aside from the great physical beauty of the area. For every "down home" Southern person I meet, there are an equal or greater number of people of varying backgrounds, ethnicities, and color. And a decided variety of accents, as well.

I think having the Wal-mart home office in the area, as well as the university in Fayetteville has attracted a broader spectrum of people. This has caused that corner of the state to change more rapidly than, say, the delta portion of the state.

All I can say as an outsider, is that this is not 1950, and Arkansas is nothing like most outsiders think it is. The Arkansas branch of my family includes evangelical Christians, headbangers, agnostics, a goat farmer, a true Southern belle (reminiscent of Scarlett O'Hara), a graphic artist, a banker, a hay farmer, a mixed-race family, a psychologist, and several Wal-mart executives. NW Arkansas more accurately reflects the rest of the country today than old stereotypes.

I think the o/p will find what she's looking for in NW Arkansas.
In other words arkys, as have most southerners, have been stereotyped.

Old 01-25-2012, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman01 View Post
In other words arkys, as have most southerners, have been stereotyped.
Yes, I believe the last couple of sentences of my post said that. Exactly that.

Old 01-26-2012, 08:51 AM

730 posts, read 2,246,658 times
Fayetteville is quite racially/culturally diverse due to the university. You would be fine here! Some of the state is still backward, but NWA is fine-especially Fayetteville.

Old 01-26-2012, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOEM1226 View Post
Fayetteville is quite racially/culturally diverse due to the university. You would be fine here! Some of the state is still backward, but NWA is fine-especially Fayetteville.
Just because someone's culture is different from yours doesn't mean they are "backward." Isn't that the theme of this thread, "tolerance?"

Old 01-26-2012, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwallace2 View Post
Can anyone answer if a black family will be accepted in these cities and where is a good place to search for housing. I'm so tired of people not liking each other for the color of their skin!
This is the topic of this thread. Let's keep the comments limited to that specifically, and not the larger issues of tolerance.

Old 01-26-2012, 07:36 PM

209 posts, read 458,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagelw View Post
Fayetteville is where you want to be. The mindset of the two cities is very different eventhough they are right next to each other. You probably will never have any issues living in Springdale and will be accepted but most of the black population (what little there is) lives in Fayetteville.

Maybe U of Arkansas is the most multi-cultural community in the NWA region.

Old 01-30-2012, 07:59 AM

570 posts, read 1,576,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwallace2 View Post
I am a black female, and I have a great opportunity in Springdale Arkanasas. These post are pretty scary for me. I currently live in the Midwest, and we have good relationships in my community with all races. Will I be welcomed?

I can't find one black person in springdale, rogers, or fayettevile to respond back on any media (facebook, twitter, google, Arkansas website, Ask.com, or any other site to say they live in this area. I just want to go live in peace if the job comes through and not feel like I'm going to a sun down state as it was called in the past. My family is a rainbow of people. Can anyone answer if a black family will be accepted in these cities and where is a good place to search for housing. I'm so tired of people not liking each other for the color of their skin!
If you have to be this worried about moving into this area, My question is why would you want to? There must be jobs in other places where you wont have to worry about things like this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers