Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 01:26 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
Cheesecake Factory only locates in large metro areas and I'm not sure if NW AR has a large enough population to support a Whole Foods.
You obvioulsy do not know much about NWA...yes, they can easily support a Whole Foods and a Cheesecake factory. Right now, most of the priced and upscale restaurants are thriving. We have been to Ruths Chris on a MOnday night mind you and they are not dead by anymeans. Crabbys and Bonefish are always crowded. The area we are talking about would from Rogers, Bentonville, Fayetteville and to some degree from Bella Vista. plus all the smalle towns. These areas are very trendy, somewhat upscale and very mobile with people from all over the country locating here. WalMart headquarters alone employees could probably keep both places in business. People visiting the Crystal Bridges would love to have someplace like Cheesecake factory for lunch.

Nita

Old 04-23-2012, 11:16 AM

61 posts, read 166,121 times
Whole Foods, Cheesecake Factory, etc can all go take a hike! How about some locally owned, interesting, less upscale venues to frequent? Not at all the way it was when I was growing up in NWA. And believe me, I am a devout health foods/whole foods/local and seasonal foods person.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cunojo View Post
Whole Foods, Cheesecake Factory, etc can all go take a hike! How about some locally owned, interesting, less upscale venues to frequent? Not at all the way it was when I was growing up in NWA. And believe me, I am a devout health foods/whole foods/local and seasonal foods person.
why not like the way it was? Because it isn't the way it was...NWA has changed "good ole days". this is not all bad, progress is what keeps the world going. If we don't change and progress we die, the same with cities and locations. There is plenty of room in NWA for both the locally owned establishments and the national upscale, as you put it, venders.

Nita

Old 04-23-2012, 12:09 PM

I'm a liberal 35 year old independent woman, not a stick in the mud who doesn't believe in progress. Having a town monopolized by nothing but national chain venues (not vendors) is not progress. Sorry.

Old 04-23-2012, 12:27 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,529,588 times
Quote:
I'm a liberal 35 year old independent woman, not a stick in the mud who doesn't believe in progress. Having a town monopolized by nothing but national chain venues (not vendors) is not progress. Sorry.
1) NWA is the home base for the largest chain retailer in the WORLD. It would be a bit hypocritical of folks in NWA to turn their noses up at anything chain.

2) That said, I disagree with your assertion to the extent that, if that's what the market wants and can support, that's what it gets.

Old 04-23-2012, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
1) NWA is the home base for the largest chain retailer in the WORLD. It would be a bit hypocritical of folks in NWA to turn their noses up at anything chain.

2) That said, I disagree with your assertion to the extent that, if that's what the market wants and can support, that's what it gets.
Even if that means suppressing a local flavor and making it harder for small businesses to sustain themselves?

Old 04-23-2012, 12:53 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,529,588 times
Quote:
Even if that means suppressing a local flavor and making it harder for small businesses to sustain themselves?
Where I currently live would never been confused with some liberal, hipster haven. Still, local small businesses thrive alongside large regional and national chains. Small businesses have to offer a quality product/service that people want at a price that people are willing to pay. If they can succeed in doing that, they'll survive and thrive.

Regional and national chains are subject to the same market rules. Just ask Circuit City, Montgomery Ward and Blockbuster (and soon K-Mart and Sears).

Old 04-23-2012, 02:00 PM

Default l

Quote:
Have you visited NWA lately? Do you know about all our specialty shops, our independant grocery stores and independant restaurants we have? How about all the little shops surrrounding the city squares in Rogers, Bentonville and Fayetteville? How about the small, independant jewelyr stores we have?

Yes, we have large chains, yes, we have WalMart headquartered here, but we offer a variety, hometown establishments.

And yes, there is a place for both. I happen to prefer the local stores, I am not a lover of WalMart and I do not happen to be a supporter of fast food or national chains, but I do believe it is great that people do have choices. And yes, like most people, I will, on occssion pop into to a fast food restaurant or mayb Outbake. When I do, I am glad they are available.

Nita

Old 04-23-2012, 05:10 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,158,736 times
This thread was started to discuss whether Whole Foods was coming to Rogers, not the larger issues of local businesses. Since it's now veered so far off topic, it must have been discussed thoroughly. Closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers