U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-19-2007, 11:57 AM

2 posts, read 4,757 times

Advertisements

Hi my family and I may be relocateing to Rogers and would like to know what it is like to live there.

We are a British mixed race blk/wht couple with two children 10 and 4 living in Wisconsin and have been hear for about 2 1/2 yrs.

What are the best schools and what is general feeling of toward out siders as I can only go by what some people hear say, some good some negative.

Can some one out there please help as I am a little apprehensive to the move.

Thanks in advance.

Jacqui.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2007, 02:23 PM

29,064 posts, read 11,598,696 times
Rogers is in one of the fastest-growing areas in the country, it's not insular at all. You should be able to fit in quite well. Arkansas supports its schools through its property taxes, and because of the growth in Northwest Arkansas the tax base has meant that the area has some of the finest schools in the state. And the newest, which means that they have been able to take advantage of and offer the latest technologies.

There are also I think two Montessori pre-schools available for your 4-year old, if that is something that interests you.

Old 09-19-2007, 10:02 PM

49,563 posts, read 41,551,267 times
Mixed family would probably be a little more comfortable in Fayetteville which isn't too far from Rogers.

Nita

Old 09-20-2007, 04:46 PM

93 posts, read 288,351 times
I live in Rogers.

1. The schools are not as 'excellent' as they claim to be. We received a letter from my child's school stating they were not proficient in a particular area, and we had the option of transferring to another school in the district. Since there are only two Jr. High's, it really isn't much of an option.

2. Mixed race couples - while I have only seen a couple of them, I personally would not have a problem having you as a neighbor. I don't care what color, religion, or orientation you are. As long as you are a 'good neighbor', you'd be welcome here. Of course, I just moved here a year ago, so the natives might disagree with me on that one.

If you are working for the Big-WM, feel free to send me a PM!

Old 09-20-2007, 04:55 PM

The proficiency exams are part of the Leave No Child Behind legislation. Students who are not native English speakers and special education students have to have their test scores included in the school's results, so sometimes the school is rated not proficient even if the teaching and curriculum are exceptional. The fact that there are only two junior highs actually plays into proficiency ratings. If you are concerned about the quality of education, you might schedule a visit with a counselor.

Speaking as a native, I have no issues with mixed race couples, but of course I can only speak for myself.

DC

Old 09-20-2007, 06:30 PM

7 posts, read 27,589 times
Default Happy in Rogers

My family and I relocated to the area recently and are VERY happy. We have lived in GA, MI, VA, MN, and now AR, so we've been around the block!
We live in Rogers but our kids attend Bentonville Schools and so far, we are extremely satisfied with the teachers, curriculum, etc. As a former and soon to be real estate agent, I am satisfied that my family chose a wonderful place to live and play.
After all of the areas that we have lived in, I would have to say that our relo to Rogers has been a breeze. Everyone is friendly and there is a great social atmosphere.

Old 09-21-2007, 11:13 AM

2 posts, read 4,757 times
Thanks every one for your thoughts, I have been looking on the proerty sites and see that the homes are new. Which areas have the older victorian type houses.

Old 09-21-2007, 11:47 AM

Historical district in Rogers is generally lower house number, 3rd through 6th streets. Some of these homes are in great shape, some are in the process of being fixed up. I think there is a beautiful New England style older home between 5th and 6th streets that is for sale by owner, I'll see if I can drive by and get you the contact information.

In Bentonville, Main and Central, lower house numbers again because those numbers bring you closer to the old downtowns.

In Fayetteville, they have a much broader selection of vintage homes in their historical district, I'm not sure of the street names, but Leverett is one of them, google maps can help you find others, but if you contact a realtor and tell them you're looking for houses in Fayetteville's historical district, they'll know exactly where to take you.

DC

Old 09-21-2007, 05:52 PM

49,563 posts, read 41,551,267 times
for what you seem to want, I would look into Fayetteville.

Nita

Old 10-04-2007, 01:16 AM

87 posts, read 260,694 times
I agree with nmnita, Fayetteville is your kind of city. Although I've always lived in Bentonville, I have always liked Fayetteville, shop there whenever I can. The town square is very pretty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers