Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 03:39 PM

28 posts, read 46,015 times

Advertisements

Hello;

My husband and I are considering Fayetteville area to re-locate from Wisconsin. We currently live in a small town about 30 miles from Madison where I work. We have never really liked big city life and thought Fayetteville might be a good fit. I like the fact there are four seasons with a much milder winter than what we are used to. I have heard much about the humid summers, but it gets pretty humid up here, too.

Anyway, I would like to know if we would be welcomed into the area, or if people tend to give a cold shoulder to newcomers. We are pretty laid back, in our 40's, no children and just want to get away from this high taxing state and the relentless winters. We have no relatives in Arkansas, so we don't know anyone there. I work for the VA hospital here as a Pharmacy Technician, and can transfer to the VA in Fayetteville if a position would open that I would qualify for and get hired. My husband is disabled so employment for him is a non-issue, but he would really benefit from a warmer climate.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2013, 08:50 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,340,480 times
Coach Belema seemed to enjoy the move. Surely you would too.

Seriously though, there are a lot of people living around there who aren't natives. You won't have issues with people treating you like an outsider.

Old 02-02-2013, 09:03 PM

Funny you should mention Bielema. I think when he announced he was leaving WI to coach @ Arkansas, I began wondering about the area. The more I searched, the more pleasantly surprised I was. It just seems that it may be what I've been looking for! I sure hope so. I think I could become a hogs fan, but will always be a Packer fan!!

Old 02-02-2013, 10:52 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,776,352 times
You'll be welcomed just fine. I think everyone in nwa is from somewhere else. As a joke I used to ask someone new, "so what part of California did you move here from?" Oh since the Hogs are a college team, you can be a fan (and one game you will), and a Packer fan.

Fayetteville is just big enough to have everything, but small enough for that home town feel. I miss it. Good luck to you.

Old 02-03-2013, 11:41 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,151,035 times
jim said it perfectly: Fayetteville is a wonderful combination of small town, city amenties, and everyone is welcome in NWA. Here in Bellas Vista there are a lot of people from the upper mid west.

I will add, the VA hospital, from the outside is really pretty!!

You will have lower taxes here, probably less expensive property, yes, 4 seasons with less miserable cold weather, (the summers will be your biggest adjustment) the area is layed back and I don't know your political views and I am not going to ask you, but I will tell you Fayetteville is more liberal than most of NWA>

Good luck, I can't see where you would go wrong.Keep us posted.

Old 02-03-2013, 12:28 PM

Thank you ALL! I will keep you posted.

Old 02-06-2013, 12:14 PM

119 posts, read 241,858 times
You will certainly be welcome in NWA. Since the area is growing rapidly, much of the influx is people like yourself. Plus the University of Arkansas in Fayetteville tends to make the population accept outsiders since there are 24,000 (students) of them right in their backyard

I moved here from Iowa and the people are more welcoming than I ever imagined

Old 02-06-2013, 06:19 PM

Thank you! I really appreciate the input.

Old 02-18-2013, 10:00 PM

42 posts, read 47,924 times
I lived in Janesville for about 6 months before coming back to Arkansas. The humidity up there is nothing like down here. I live in Ft. Smith. I love Arkansas land much better than up in WI. It is a lot hotter, spring and fall are short, but winter....it nice. I talked to a friend of mine up there the other day and told her it was high 50s or so here and it was 28 there! The first time I flew to WI I left AR weather of over 100* and it was 78* when I got off the plane in Madison. If I could live here in the winter, and there in the summer it would be great!

You should have no problems with relocating. Fayetteville is a college town. I did look at some places in NWA and prefer Rogers, Bentonville, or Springdale.

Old 02-19-2013, 05:48 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,151,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefootdokusha View Post
I lived in Janesville for about 6 months before coming back to Arkansas. The humidity up there is nothing like down here. I live in Ft. Smith. I love Arkansas land much better than up in WI. It is a lot hotter, spring and fall are short, but winter....it nice. I talked to a friend of mine up there the other day and told her it was high 50s or so here and it was 28 there! The first time I flew to WI I left AR weather of over 100* and it was 78* when I got off the plane in Madison. If I could live here in the winter, and there in the summer it would be great!

You should have no problems with relocating. Fayetteville is a college town. I did look at some places in NWA and prefer Rogers, Bentonville, or Springdale.
I think your points should be well taken. The difference in the weather will be the biggest change. I know the upper mid west does get humid, maybe even more than here, but the lower temps make it seem much cooler.

Of course the idea of living part of the year in one place and part in another is great, if you have the funds, but many do not. We know 3 or 4 couples right here who do exactly that. Some leave here around Christmas and head for So Texas or Florida for a few months. Others spend fall, winter and spring here and leave for the cooler climates around Memorial day..Unfortunately most can't quite handle keeping 2 homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers