Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 11:38 AM

3 posts, read 5,972 times

Advertisements

My husband is a prospect for a job in Fayetteville. He would be required to live within 1 hour's drive to Fayetteville. I've just begun my research on the area and found many previous posts to be helpful, but thought I would see if we could get some specific information that would fit our family. Any/all input is welcomed good or bad

We would be relocating from the Dayton OH area. I have read nothing but wonderful things about the schools in they Fayetteville area, which is encouraging. I read something about school choice in Arkansas -how does that work? Which schools are the best in the area ?

We currently live in a twp which has no income tax, the twp derives revenue mostly from property tax. Does the Fayetteville area have local income tax? This might be a deciding factor when salary negotiations take place.

I would be looking for employment - I currently work for Job and Family Services Division in Dayton, but I also have a background in Mortgage Lending.

Our 8 year old daughter loves tumbling. We would be looking to join a gym with a nice tumbling and/or gymnastics program.....?

Which airport(s) are most economical for travel to the area? I've looked at flights from Dayton to the area and they all seem pretty high.

My husband and I have differing political views, but we make it work I'm more conservative, and he is more liberal.... I would prefer to be in a more traditional-minded area but would be just as happy in a middle-of-the-road area. Which areas would be best to look for housing? I've been using an online search to look for a place, but I'm not sure how far out 1 hour from Fayetteville would be....?

Thanks ahead of time for polite responses
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2013, 12:43 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheri2e View Post
My husband is a prospect for a job in Fayetteville. He would be required to live within 1 hour's drive to Fayetteville. I've just begun my research on the area and found many previous posts to be helpful, but thought I would see if we could get some specific information that would fit our family. Any/all input is welcomed good or bad

We would be relocating from the Dayton OH area. I have read nothing but wonderful things about the schools in they Fayetteville area, which is encouraging. I read something about school choice in Arkansas -how does that work? Which schools are the best in the area ?

We currently live in a twp which has no income tax, the twp derives revenue mostly from property tax. Does the Fayetteville area have local income tax? This might be a deciding factor when salary negotiations take place.

I would be looking for employment - I currently work for Job and Family Services Division in Dayton, but I also have a background in Mortgage Lending.

Our 8 year old daughter loves tumbling. We would be looking to join a gym with a nice tumbling and/or gymnastics program.....?

Which airport(s) are most economical for travel to the area? I've looked at flights from Dayton to the area and they all seem pretty high.

My husband and I have differing political views, but we make it work I'm more conservative, and he is more liberal.... I would prefer to be in a more traditional-minded area but would be just as happy in a middle-of-the-road area. Which areas would be best to look for housing? I've been using an online search to look for a place, but I'm not sure how far out 1 hour from Fayetteville would be....?

I can't answer all your questions but here are a few answers: yes, flying in and out of XNA is way too pricey. It is a thorn in the sides of everyone here I think and you don't really have many choices. Tulsa is a couple hours away, so is Little Rock.

I am sure you can find a job in your field, don't let that stop you from moving to NWA.

Fayetteville schools are very good; so are Bentonville and most of Rogers.

Politically, you will find more conservatism but you will find a good balance. Fayetteville will be more liberal than the rest of NWA. As for how far out you can go and still be within an hour of Fayetteville, there are several areas that should work. A lot has to do with your housing budget. You can go south to Farmington or West Fork, you can go as far north as Bentonville, Centerton or Rogers and there are other smaller towns that would work. Our younger granddaughter and her husband (he works in Fayetteville) are looking in Cave Springs. Right now they are living in West Fork.

Hope this helps a little. Others will be able to give you more information about the schools, I am sure.

Old 05-05-2013, 01:03 PM

7 posts, read 15,507 times
Default Air Fares

I recently booked a flight to the area from Los Angeles and discovered the fares into Fort Smith were much lower than elsewhere in the area -- nearly half as much! The drive to Fayetteville is about 60 miles.

Old 05-05-2013, 03:59 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,130,619 times
First, the idea of a "local income tax" doesn't exist around here. We have a state income tax, and a local sales tax.

As far as politics, you'll both find cohorts in Fayetteville. Arkansas is a strange state in a sense, that we produced both Bill Clinton and Mike Huckabee. Fayetteville is the most liberal town in the region, but there are other very liberal enclaves, such as Eureka Springs.

Judging by your name, I think you'll find the arts scene in Fayetteville pleasing.

Bentonville has the Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art, but Fayetteville has a more active organic local arts scene. Fayetteville has a monthly art walk on the town square, six months out of the year, called First Thursday. Fayetteville also is home to the Walton Arts Center and its associated organizations and gallery. There are plenty of opportunities here to experience the arts, in a manner that would be surprising in any similarly-sized community, anywhere in the nation.

The best schools perception-wise locally seem to be Fayetteville and Bentonville, although Rogers schools also score really well by most metrics.

Hope you find that useful.

Old 05-06-2013, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtseyOne View Post
I recently booked a flight to the area from Los Angeles and discovered the fares into Fort Smith were much lower than elsewhere in the area -- nearly half as much! The drive to Fayetteville is about 60 miles.
yes,Ft Smith is a lot lower sometimes, but not usually. Another possibility is Joplin, believe it or not. It is a very small airport but always worth a try. XNA is such a pretty airport and so friendly, it is too bad the prices are off the wall. another problem we have and when age starts to enter the picture, is, there is no shuttle from the long term parking area. I think that is about to change...

Old 05-06-2013, 08:08 AM

602 posts, read 1,516,168 times
Quote:
I read something about school choice in Arkansas -how does that work? Which schools are the best in the area ?

School Choice--Not sure exactly what you read but here is how it works in Fayetteville: If you live in one elementary zone, you *can* request to attend another elementary school. Request are done on a yearly basis. Just because you're allowed this year, doesn't mean you will be allowed the following year. It depends on the enrollment at the school and those in its zone.

I recommend living in the zone your child will be attending school. FYI-Fayetteville Public Schools will have a zone shift very soon. Fall of 2014, the 9th graders will move to F'ville High School. This will change the grades at junior, middle, and elementary schools.

TAXES--AR state income tax; Sales taxes--State of Arkansas - 6.00 %, Washington County - 1.25 %, City of Fayetteville - 2.00 %
In addition to the taxes listed above, the City of Fayetteville currently has a 2.00 %Hotel/Motel/Restaurant (HMR) tax . Washington County has property taxes--both real estate and personal property.

TUMBLING/GYMNASTICS--Williams Center in F'ville

AIRPORTS-- XNA is in the top ten of most expensive airports to fly in and out of. They are working on attracting a low-cost carrier but it could be years away.

I recommend using ITASoftware.com for airfare searches. It searches the "legacy" airlines, not Southwest.

Area airports include XNA, Tulsa, Fort Smith, Springfield MO, Joplin, and Branson MO (Southwest flies in and out of here).

Where to Live--In general, the farther away you get from the Big Three--F'ville, Springdale, Rogers/Bentonville, the more conservative you will find the population. Your search could have you looking as far south as Fort Smith and as far north as Joplin, MO. Suggestion--pull out a map and search within 40-50 miles of your husband's job.

Good luck.

Old 05-06-2013, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurGreatEscape View Post
School Choice--Not sure exactly what you read but here is how it works in Fayetteville: If you live in one elementary zone, you *can* request to attend another elementary school. Request are done on a yearly basis. Just because you're allowed this year, doesn't mean you will be allowed the following year. It depends on the enrollment at the school and those in its zone.

I recommend living in the zone your child will be attending school. FYI-Fayetteville Public Schools will have a zone shift very soon. Fall of 2014, the 9th graders will move to F'ville High School. This will change the grades at junior, middle, and elementary schools.

TAXES--AR state income tax; Sales taxes--State of Arkansas - 6.00 %, Washington County - 1.25 %, City of Fayetteville - 2.00 %
In addition to the taxes listed above, the City of Fayetteville currently has a 2.00 %Hotel/Motel/Restaurant (HMR) tax . Washington County has property taxes--both real estate and personal property.

TUMBLING/GYMNASTICS--Williams Center in F'ville

AIRPORTS-- XNA is in the top ten of most expensive airports to fly in and out of. They are working on attracting a low-cost carrier but it could be years away.

I recommend using ITASoftware.com for airfare searches. It searches the "legacy" airlines, not Southwest.

Area airports include XNA, Tulsa, Fort Smith, Springfield MO, Joplin, and Branson MO (Southwest flies in and out of here).

Where to Live--In general, the farther away you get from the Big Three--F'ville, Springdale, Rogers/Bentonville, the more conservative you will find the population. Your search could have you looking as far south as Fort Smith and as far north as Joplin, MO. Suggestion--pull out a map and search within 40-50 miles of your husband's job.

Good luck.
I have only one comment about XNA: they already have a low cost carrier: what do your think Allegiant is? You can't get much cheaper or more bare bones!!!

Old 05-06-2013, 03:28 PM

291 posts, read 377,879 times
Quote:

Fayetteville is overall a very nice place to live. Yes, the schools in Fayetteville are great. There is not a single public school here that I would not let my kids go to. FYI I have kids ranging from High school to Pre school.Not sure how school choice works- only that the 1 time we moved during a school year Fayetteville honored our request to let the kids finish the year where they started.

Not sure about income tax here, but sales tax is high for population & amenities of the region in my opinion.

Check for positions with the State DHS office for those jobs, otherwise there are plenty of other options.

For Gymnastics I HIGHLY reccommend Williams Dance & Gymnastics- I went there 25 years ago & they are stil the best today. My kids go there.

There is really only one airport in the immeadate area and that is XNA. If you are willing to drive a couple hours there you can get to the Tulsa,OK & Branson MO airport. Little Rock is also about 3/4 hours away.

As far as political views- you will both be at home here. =)

Old 05-09-2013, 06:05 AM

602 posts, read 1,516,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I have only one comment about XNA: they already have a low cost carrier: what do your think Allegiant is? You can't get much cheaper or more bare bones!!!
Yes Allegiant is a bare bones carrier. Been there, done that. The "problem" with Allegiant is its limited routes--Sanford, FL, Lax, Vegas, and perhaps an AZ airport.

Honestly, XNA is a business flyers' destination. If you fly out on the first flight during the week, you'll be flying mostly with vendors.

I do know XNA is looking to attract more carriers. SWA is probably not the answer (the new Branson airport gave them about $6m to locate there!). Perhaps a Jet Blue??

Old 05-09-2013, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurGreatEscape View Post
Yes Allegiant is a bare bones carrier. Been there, done that. The "problem" with Allegiant is its limited routes--Sanford, FL, Lax, Vegas, and perhaps an AZ airport.

Honestly, XNA is a business flyers' destination. If you fly out on the first flight during the week, you'll be flying mostly with vendors.

I do know XNA is looking to attract more carriers. SWA is probably not the answer (the new Branson airport gave them about $6m to locate there!). Perhaps a Jet Blue??
I had also read they are trying to attract another line. I hope they can. The cost of flying out of is crazy. Our son just visited us recently. He travels a lot and decided to spend a few days here, before going to Boston. He couldn't believe the cost to get from Ft Meyers, Fl to XNA. I would love to see Jet Blue come in. I don't think they are as bare bones as Allegiant. I don't think anyone could be. The only positive thing I will say about Allegiant, it was nice not to have to change planes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers