U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 02:50 PM

194 posts, read 227,585 times

Advertisements

SO I have decided to move to Bella Vista-I am VERY excite. Will be moving sometime between next MArch and May and wanted to get some input for ya' all (Also want to give poor Nita a break!)

I am coming from Chicago-about a 10 hour drive with my nephew and dog and a car full of possessions. Does anyone have movers they recommend?

I will be renting initially and wondered how you coordinated the movers-I figure even if we drive with minimal breaks we wouldn't get there until evening-not sure if anyone will be ready to move then-i'm thinking of staying at a hotel that night and scheduling the movers for the following morning-has anyone done that?

Has anyone driven for 10 hours with a dog-how did they do?

I am going to be contacting a rental agent in that area but also wanted the "real lowdown" from people who have done it.

I am so looking forward to calling myself an Arkansaian-well what do you call yourselves?

Thanks everyone!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2013, 07:12 PM

77,813 posts, read 91,454,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boodle007 View Post
SO I have decided to move to Bella Vista-I am VERY excite. Will be moving sometime between next MArch and May and wanted to get some input for ya' all (Also want to give poor Nita a break!)

I am coming from Chicago-about a 10 hour drive with my nephew and dog and a car full of possessions. Does anyone have movers they recommend?

I will be renting initially and wondered how you coordinated the movers-I figure even if we drive with minimal breaks we wouldn't get there until evening-not sure if anyone will be ready to move then-i'm thinking of staying at a hotel that night and scheduling the movers for the following morning-has anyone done that?

Has anyone driven for 10 hours with a dog-how did they do?

I am going to be contacting a rental agent in that area but also wanted the "real lowdown" from people who have done it.

I am so looking forward to calling myself an Arkansaian-well what do you call yourselves?

Thanks everyone!
Debbi,

Probably the best thing for you to do is, spend a day or two in one of the vacation rentals. If you need their phone number, as you get closer I will be glad to give it to you. We did this, both when we house hunted and when we moved here. They are usually private homes and/or town houses and complete with dishes, pots and pans, whatever you need an some rent to pets as well. They are less expensive than a hotel and are more comfortable. As for the 10 hour drive, you will be fine, yes, very tired but ok. That is the hardest drive, less than 10 isn't all that bad and 11 or more means an overnight in a hotel, but 10 is the in between time.

Old 05-29-2013, 07:20 PM

5,981 posts, read 17,024,314 times
Ar KAN sun. That's the way I've always done it, although there's some (very strange) school out there that thinks it should be Arkansawyers or something equally ridiculous!

If you scoot over to the Dogs forum there's a lot about traveling with pets there, but really - lots of breaks, cool water, don't feed heavily the night before and very, very lightly the day of travel. Benadryl or Rescue Remedy if you have one that gets a bit nervous...bring your vet records, too!

Actually, you might contact one of the full service U-Haul places; they will load you up, move you, and then go back from whence they came - and sometimes it is MUCH cheaper than anything else. I have a friend in Little Rock who owns one of these and he sends his guys by bus or train to wherever, and they drive the truck back to Little Rock or to the new locale and then bus themselves back if they are away from LR. If someone needs the overnight service he simply includes rooms for his men in the price. You might actually consider traveling a day ahead of the truck if someone can be there to do the last minute stuff on that end....even if you and the truck leave at the same time you will be to your destination long before they will.

I know you are excited! I think Nita's suggestion of a vacation rental is a fabulous idea. Always good to have a home base to return to those first few days when you can't find the box with the soap in it!

Good luck with your planning!

Old 05-29-2013, 08:16 PM

Wow! Great suggestions. Nita-the vacation rental is perfect-then I can get things set up before I move in! Sam I am -afraid to use a u-haul-afraid stuff won't be taken care of. Wonder if your friend would consider going to Bella vista

Old 05-29-2013, 08:38 PM

5,981 posts, read 17,024,314 times
So....I am lost and wandering out behind the little animals, Boodle - you are wanting to hire a professional company like Mayflower or something to move you? Or you're moving yourself and need someone to unload it? If so, I'm sure any of the local companies will be happy to provide movers, but it sounds like you want full service - unfortunately, movers don't come cheap.

We moved my dad from Jackson, Mississippi, to the River Valley and couldn't have been happier with the U-Haul guys....of course, it IS a friend that owns the retail store and he has a vested interest in making sure I'm happy :-) We had zero in the way of furnishing casualties, although one of our movers became very ill and created a little drama that only added to the utterly confusing scene we had going on. Still, the other 2 guys were able to move out a 2500 sq foot house in a matter of hours, get the truck back on the road, and they drove late into the night, stayed in Dumas, and then came on in the next morning. It was grueling, by the way - I hate moving more than anything else! We had everything pretty much boxed up, but I was amazed at how those guys loaded every square inch of that truck. I don't think there was room for so much as a feather when they were through!

You have a lot of time to get bids or brainstorm...and a lot of time to get rid of stuff you don't want anymore!

Old 05-29-2013, 10:17 PM

126 posts, read 20,006 times
I done heard they meet ya at the Missouri border and if you cain't give a proper Soooeeeeyyyyyy, Hogs they don't let ya in. I heard that once somewheres. May have been from a disappointed Missouran turned back.

Pig Sooie Calling The Hogs Razorbacks Arkansas Sugar Bowl Fan Jam Pig Suey - YouTube

Better work on that a mite, Boodle.

Old 05-29-2013, 11:58 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,107,807 times
As for the dog, it probably just depends on the dog.
Ours is a couch potato, so a ten hour trip is just another day on the couch. She'll take potty breaks when we do, and gets a good drink of water each stop. A finicky eater (with dog food anyway) in any situation, she doesn't eat a thing 'till we get there, unless we slip her a little bit of people food, which she eats readily. In extreme moderation, of course.
We take a similar trip once or twice a year. Probably 24 hours total round trip. Never had problems with the dog. Wish I could say the same for the kids.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:25 AM

602 posts, read 1,365,724 times
Boodle-the drive from AR to Chicago is bad. I suspect from Chi-town to AR it's just as bad It is a long dull drive for this person; not sure how a pup would handle it.

Last summer I traveled with my two cats to SC (yes, I'm "that" crazy cat lady!). It is an 18 hour drive that we break into two days-12 hours, 6 hours.

Thank goodness I visited my vet before the trip. He gave the kitties a little magic pill to take. It didn't totally knock them out but kept them comfortable in their big crate. As one of the kitties tends to get car sick, the Dr recommended little to no food during the car ride. Once we stopped for the night, the meds had worn off and the boys were ready to eat.

I did buy the calming collars and calming spray (some natural remedy). Can't say those made a huge difference but I won't go without them when we head out this summer.

If your dog doesn't already ride in the car, start taking him/her out. Start slowly 5-10 minutes; then up the outing time.

Good luck and Welcome Home!

Old 05-30-2013, 08:31 AM

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. My dog loves the car but she like to go back and forth from window to window in the back. Looks like a doggie downer may be in order. Thankfully my nephew will be with me. SamIAm I think I will spend the money and go with a full service mover-if I knew the U Haul guys that would be different. I don't have a lot of nice stuff but want to make sure the stuff I have is taken care of. I am very excite at Nita's suggestion about the vacation rental-I can take my time setting up. I always like to have the kitchens and baths set up before I move in-makes things easier.
Americanabroad-you frighten me

Old 05-30-2013, 02:20 PM

126 posts, read 20,006 times
Boodle, a simple joke about hog calling should not scare the Bears from Chicago. If that actually scared ya, ya'd best leave Chicago and head for the hills right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers