U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-03-2013, 11:54 AM

141 posts, read 52,205 times
Default Cost of living, farming and land

Hello there,

How is the cost of living in and around the Fayetteville area? I noticed that the average house price is on the high side, and wondered if the smaller towns around the area would be more affordable. Can a person find a few acres reasonable? I am looking to farm on a very small scale, with maybe up to 5 ac., but probably less. I checked the planting Zone and Fayetteville is 7A which is one Zone above where I live now, which was something I was looking for. I wanted some place with a milder winter. How are taxes in AR? Has anyone moved from someplace else to the area and noticed a difference? We are at 90 to 91 in my area outside of Cincinnati, and want to get below that. I think the sales tax is higher in AR. Property tax seem to be very close to what we pay.

Main goal is shorter winters, Friendly people, a sense of community, pretty scenery (farmy type area), access to shopping, being in a small town near a bigger area, but not a huge area.

Anyway, for now I have been researching several areas, and cost of living is big since it would be a retirement location. I did talk once with some nice people on this list before.

Are you getting some pretty fall colors right now???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2013, 04:58 AM

47,282 posts, read 37,252,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamaralj View Post
Hello there,

How is the cost of living in and around the Fayetteville area? I noticed that the average house price is on the high side, and wondered if the smaller towns around the area would be more affordable. Can a person find a few acres reasonable? I am looking to farm on a very small scale, with maybe up to 5 ac., but probably less. I checked the planting Zone and Fayetteville is 7A which is one Zone above where I live now, which was something I was looking for. I wanted some place with a milder winter. How are taxes in AR? Has anyone moved from someplace else to the area and noticed a difference? We are at 90 to 91 in my area outside of Cincinnati, and want to get below that. I think the sales tax is higher in AR. Property tax seem to be very close to what we pay.

Main goal is shorter winters, Friendly people, a sense of community, pretty scenery (farmy type area), access to shopping, being in a small town near a bigger area, but not a huge area.

Anyway, for now I have been researching several areas, and cost of living is big since it would be a retirement location. I did talk once with some nice people on this list before.

Are you getting some pretty fall colors right now???
from bottom to top: yes, our fall is beautiful, too bad the color peaks only last about a week. They reached their height about 5 days ago and now, with the wind and the rain, all we have is some trees with leaves and color, plus yards filled with leaves.

People here are friendly, outgoing, pretty conservative for the most part, yes, a total sense of community (as much as anyplace we have ever lived) and yes, beautiful scenery. Shopping is whatever you make of it. You can live in a somewhat rural area and be within 10 to 20 minutes of just about anything you need, groceries, doctors, restaurants, shopping malls, etc.

Sales taxes are on the high side, depending on where you live, they could be from 6 to about 11%, on food they are less than on say, clothing. But other taxes, like property taxes are very low. So it is a wash. We have lived in VA, CA, Tx, NM and AR, by far the lowest cost of living is here, including property. Fayetteville is a little upscale, because of the proximity to the university, land is going to be up there, if you could even find large plots. I would suggest you check our Tonitown, Centerton, maybe parts of Lowell or Springdale, Gravette, or West fork for starters. I am sure you can find something that would work for you, in a reasonable price range. As for reasonable, you almost have to let us know what you are talking about. What is reasonable to one person is pricey to the other.

Good luck, I hope this does help you some.

Nita

Old 11-04-2013, 06:02 AM

Thank you Nita for the information. This is very helpful. I'd be looking at house price ranged up to 150,000, and land maybe under 20,000 for a few acres. I like the idea of living on the outskirts of town in a more rural area, but close enough to get to shopping and things of need.

Old 11-04-2013, 12:54 PM

571 posts, read 661,630 times
You will need to expand your search--out west from Fayetteville--Farmington, Prairie Grove; East of F'ville--Winslow, perhaps Mountainburg, even down to Alma.

I'm just not sure you can find a "few acres" for under $20k. Now you may be able to find a small house on several acres in your $200,000 range. You definitely will have to be way on the outskirts of any of the big tree towns-F'ville, Springdale, Rogers/Bentonville.

Old 11-04-2013, 01:05 PM

Thank you, I'll check out those areas as well.

Old 11-04-2013, 04:12 PM

368 posts, read 155,256 times
I think your best bet for that kind of acreage near Fayetteville for that price would be in the West Fork/Winslow area. You might also look near Huntsville.

Old 11-05-2013, 05:13 AM

47,282 posts, read 37,252,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamaralj View Post
Thank you, I'll check out those areas as well.
You might want to consider Huntsville as well. It is about 1/2 hour east of the Rogers area, nice rural countryside and a cute little town. Again, like someone said, the 2 acres for $20,000 might be a little hard. From what I know of the area and we all have our personal ideas, I would seriously check, Huntsville, Farmington and Gravette for starters.

Old 11-05-2013, 07:42 AM

Thanks all, I truly appreciate the input, and it will help me a lot. I will check out the areas mentioned. Land is going up in price even in my area now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers