Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 06:53 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,492,459 times

Advertisements

Lived in Fayetteville a long time ago. (circa 1980). We did have some nasty hail storms then. Things could have changed, but we did Tornado drills in school, although I don't remember one in the area.

None of the houses we lived in had basements either. So I see that hasn't changed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2013, 05:45 PM

733 posts, read 1,752,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
ok, you see the glass 1/2 empty, most of us see it 1/2 full. What you are saying would be like saying, watch out for hurricanes in say, Washington DC. of course they an occur, most of us have said this, but the chances are slim and we can't go through life thinking: what if? You mention AR being number 5 in deaths, we are talking NWA not the Delta, the southern part, etc. It is pretty safe to say, the chances of Tornados that do a lot of damage striking NWA (any part of the region) are pretty slim, and yes, it could happen next spring. Mother Nature has a mind of her own. None of us think we are 100% safe. Heck we could also have a flood here tomorrow, but it isn't likely.
Actually, records show that The Delta has seen much less tornadoes than the counties along the OK border. Washington and Crawford county are tied for 4th in the state when it comes to tornadoes. Comparing Arkansas to Texas in terms of tornado is just silly though. Texas sees at least 75% more tornadoes than Arkansas does per year, to the OP...this shouldn't cause any fear at all. Like what has been said, ice storms appear to be more of an issue, though even with those...the only storm I have heard people talk about in my time here so far is the 2009 Central Plains ice storm which definitely was a big one. I drove through Arkansas less than a year after that storm and trees were down EVERYWHERE! I'm curious to find out just how many "significant" ice storms have actually occurred here. A bit of freezing rain coating to 1/4th of an inch isn't exactly significant. How many ice storms have all of you seen here in Arkansas. Is it true that Winter, in terms of snow typically doesn't hit until March?

Old 11-20-2013, 05:53 PM

733 posts, read 1,752,874 times
Never mind about that bottom question. I'll take that one to the Ice storm thread.

Old 11-20-2013, 06:09 PM

27 posts, read 45,019 times
Thanks for the info!

We lived in the Dallas area for a year, and it was pretty scary whenever we would hear tornado sirens regularly in the spring. So I was just wondering if tornadoes were as big of a threat- maybe compared with North Texas.

I will probably look for a home with a basement just to make me feel safer lol.

Old 11-24-2013, 08:27 AM

602 posts, read 1,512,614 times
Having actually lived in F'ville since 1981, I can tell you we do get tornado warnings. The storm that hit in 1990 (or '91) was enough to blow out all the glass windows down Dickson St, and take out lots of trees throughout the historic district. They say it was "straight line winds". Whatever, I was knocked out of bed! We lost ~25 huge trees, which took months to clean up.

Homes in F'ville's historic district do have basements--some are "cellars"; others have actually been converted into living space.

A couple of things I won't live without in F'ville--a basement, a wood-burning stove, and a natural gas grill or stove (101 hours w/o power during the Ice Storm of '09 makes you realize the "real" essentials!).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers