Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 08:58 AM

9 posts, read 27,364 times

Advertisements

I'm starting this thread to continue the discussion of a lack of a barking dog ordinance in Rogers, and the lack of enforcement of parking on lawns (Ordinance 07-56).

I'll try to start where I left off. I stated that Bentonville has a 10 min. rule. Anything over 10 min. day or night is a violation. That is what it was where I lived in K.C. as well. I had a neighbor behind me that would let Marmaduke out at 7 a.m. every morning. The barking would start as soon as her car pulled out of the driveway. I shot a 10 min. 2 sec. video, had her served with a summons, the judge looked at the video and hit her with a $500 fine. (It was her 5th time in for the same dog). I didn't have another issued with that dog the last 7 years I lived there.

As for parking cars on lawns. The ordinance was signed in 2007, but it doesn't appear to be enforced at all. A look of E. Post St. off of Old Wire Rd. on Google Maps will show numerous cars in the lawn. This shot is during working hours as well, in the morning and evening, there are 3X the amount of cars in the lawn.

It seems Rogers is either letting the east side go, or they are fearful of enforcing the law in the Hispanic community. Lawsuits perhaps?

Old 12-28-2013, 11:38 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,746,947 times
On the other thread, where you first mentioned this subject, I shared my astonishment that Rogers doesn't have a barking dog ordinance, and my experience with my small-town neighbors' barking dogs, and made a suggestion that perhaps nuisance barking dogs are taken care of under some other kind of "disturbing the peace" ordinance (as I believe mine were), but....well, you saw what happened.

I don't feel like typing all that again, so I will just say, I totally sympathize with your experience with Marmaduke. I was tempted to go the video route myself, only I could have shot more than 10 minutes....more like 10 hours! Literally! (It helps to be good friends with the Police Chief....doesn't hurt that he lives on the other side of me, either!)

Old 12-28-2013, 03:19 PM

9 posts, read 27,364 times
As I mentioned on the other thread, they have a very loose ordinance regarding dogs, and noise in general. The gentleman that tried to explain it to me even had to chuckle. It essentially leaves it up to the judgement of law enforcement.

My roommate told me a story about a worthless pos that used to live directly across the street. His dad heard a woman in distress, so he went over to help. The guy that was beating her told him to mind his own business, so he called the police. They came out and said they couldn't do anything because he wouldn't answer the door. Really!! What happened to eye witness testimony? So, based on that, and other stories I've heard, I don't think I will have much luck with law enforcement helping out on the barking dog situation.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 12-29-2013 at 01:19 PM..

Old 12-29-2013, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New to NWA View Post

My roommate told me a story about a worthless pos that used to live directly across the street. His dad heard a woman in distress, so he went over to help. The guy that was beating her told him to mind his own business, so he called the police. They came out and said they couldn't do anything because he wouldn't answer the door. Really!! What happened to eye witness testimony? So, based on that, and other stories I've heard, I don't think I will have much luck with law enforcement helping out on the barking dog situation.
So this happened in Rogers? That's unbelievable. Hopefully the next time he's beating that poor woman someone can get the cops there in time to catch him. Or, more hopefully, she got away from him.

Yes, based on this story, I can see why you would not have much confidence in getting help in Rogers with a barking dog situation.

Last edited by Luvvarkansas; 12-29-2013 at 01:37 PM.. Reason: just tying the story to the original topic

Old 12-29-2013, 03:30 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,663,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
So this happened in Rogers? That's unbelievable. Hopefully the next time he's beating that poor woman someone can get the cops there in time to catch him. Or, more hopefully, she got away from him.

Yes, based on this story, I can see why you would not have much confidence in getting help in Rogers with a barking dog situation.
Just let me say one thing: what he was told is all hearsay, nothing more.

Old 12-29-2013, 10:52 PM

19 posts, read 52,912 times
What do you mean parking on the lawn? Are people just parking their vehicles on their front lawns right in front of their doors?

Old 12-30-2013, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Child View Post
What do you mean parking on the lawn? Are people just parking their vehicles on their front lawns right in front of their doors?
Yep, people do that. It just ruins the look of a neighborhood.

I understand why they do it...they only have a single carport and 3 cars and nowhere on the street to park, but.....well, people just do what they have to do. But it's not very homey looking, for sure.

Old 12-30-2013, 07:14 PM

4 posts, read 12,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
Yep, people do that. It just ruins the look of a neighborhood.

I understand why they do it...they only have a single carport and 3 cars and nowhere on the street to park, but.....well, people just do what they have to do. But it's not very homey looking, for sure.

Look at Google Maps, as the OP suggested, it's not a single driveway. These are double drives, that will hold 4 cars, 2 up, 2 back. They park in the lawns because there are multiple families/individuals living in the home. Which makes one wonder if there is an ordinance regarding how many families can live in a 'single family' home in Rogers???

Old 12-31-2013, 05:37 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,663,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsinaname67 View Post
Look at Google Maps, as the OP suggested, it's not a single driveway. These are double drives, that will hold 4 cars, 2 up, 2 back. They park in the lawns because there are multiple families/individuals living in the home. Which makes one wonder if there is an ordinance regarding how many families can live in a 'single family' home in Rogers???
I am sure there is no ordinance or if there is, it isn't enforced. Heck we had families in some pretty upscale neighborhoods in So Cal with multiple families living in one house, we had a lot of it in NM (we had a lot of everything there) and even in Texas. The nicer apartments in Texas had restrictions on how many could live in certain size apartments, but most other places we have not seen anything about how many can live in private property. Here in BV we do have strict ordinances regarding parking cars on lawns, etc and the are enforced. This doesn't keep some from having too many cars in the drive way etc. Our neighbors (luckily we have 2 vacant treed lots, that separate us) live like slobs. When they break the laws, they are reported and they make corrections, but so much of what they do, or should I say don't do can not be controlled. I will add, our neighborhood is not what you would call upscale, but it is certainly above the average and very well maintained other wise.

Old 12-31-2013, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Our neighbors (luckily we have 2 vacant treed lots, that separate us) live like slobs.
I've often wondered if there was ever any trouble with such as that in the "retirement" villages. I don't understand why people would want to move to such a beautiful place and then trash it. Why didn't they just get them a house out in the country with no neighbors for miles? (rhetorical question, not asking you, nita.)

Now, as far as an ordinance governing how many families can live in one home....well, seems like that's taking it a bit far. I know if I own a home, I want to be able to use it the way I need to (within reason, of course). If I needed to let some of my family members live with me, I would want to be able to do that. (They're all clean people!) I guess that could go too far in some cases....like if two large families started sharing a house in Bella Vista and then had so many cars that they had to start parking on the lawn. But generally, I wouldn't want to live where there was an ordinance against what I could do inside my own home.

I don't know, it's all complicated. You want enough laws to keep people from trashing a beautiful neighborhood, but not so many that you feel strangled in your own home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers