Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 12:09 PM

5 posts, read 21,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brajo58 View Post
I do not know why Northwest Arkansas is so popular, the people there are mean and rude, the traffic is terrible(everywhere you go there is traffic and road construction further making getting around terrible), natives are getting their homes taken away left and right in the name of big business, the area is being overrun by illegal aliens, it's horrible. In NWA it is all about making money and no one cares about anybody else except for themselves. Bella Vista is the worst with all of those old snoots from the north. I have recently moved back to Benton from Rogers and I will never live in NWA again and I encourage any decent people who sees this message to never move there.
brajo58
I moved from Springdale in 2000 to NY. You think NWA is bad, come here.

Old 07-01-2008, 03:05 PM

2 posts, read 6,416 times
Default walmart?

Hi All,
Can anyone tell me if it's possible to live in NW Arkansas and not have to deal with too much over-zealous walmart folks? I am anti-walmart, however to each their own. However, I don't want to be immersed in an area where it's blasphemous to suggest they are not good. Anyway, it's a lovely place and is beautiful and clean and safe, but I don't like the walmart aspect. Any comments?

Old 07-01-2008, 03:35 PM

2,370 posts, read 7,747,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polyanthus View Post
Hi All,
Can anyone tell me if it's possible to live in NW Arkansas and not have to deal with too much over-zealous walmart folks? I am anti-walmart, however to each their own. However, I don't want to be immersed in an area where it's blasphemous to suggest they are not good. Anyway, it's a lovely place and is beautiful and clean and safe, but I don't like the walmart aspect. Any comments?
I would think so long as you aren't in Benton County you won't get too much of the WM fervor. Fayetteville or most other places in Washington Co. would be ok probably. Having lived in Fayetteville for a good while, I don't think the WM fervor was too prevalent there. You'll still see it from time to time like during the stockholders convetion and all though.

Old 07-01-2008, 04:22 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,534,911 times
Quote:
Hi All,
I have not noticed this in my area. There ia a Wal Mart super center near Harrison, and most of the shoppers that I have spoken to hate it, but shop there because there is no other super market in the area.

Old 07-01-2008, 09:13 PM

620 posts, read 2,079,739 times
Quote:
Hi All,
Can anyone tell me if it's possible to live in NW Arkansas and not have to deal with too much over-zealous walmart folks? ... ... Any comments?
When I lived in Fayetteville back in the early 90s Wal-Mart was already the dominant player in consumer retail, and while some people loved leaving their cash there, they weren't avid Wal-Mart defenders. However, there wasn't all the negative publicity at that time.

I think you're more likely to become confronted with a religious zealot than a Wal-Mart zealot in NW Arkansas.

Keep in mind that Wal-Mart is just a publicly traded company. As such, it has a fiduciary responsibility to its stockholders, not only to make a profit, but to grow. The core structure of the business model with its extraordinary inventory management program was established by the original founder, Sam Walton. Now it is run by fairly typical MBA types who know a lot about business and accounting, but are not that strong on people, which was Sam Walton's strong suite. Sam made many an otherwise ordinary person into millionaires during his rapid growth beginnings of Wal-Mart. They got rich simply because they worked at Wal-Mart and took advantage of the stock options. He was a very generous employer!

That original generosity was possible due to the rapid growth of the company and our free market system that allows rapid growth through capital infusion from investors purchasing an equity stake in future growth. At the company's current level, that of a multi-national monolith, growth is more difficult, more complicated and at a slower pace. And unfortunately, part of managing a mega-structure profit engine has to do with controlling costs. This is important for the company and for its owners the everyman investors across America and abroad. That means anyone who has a 401K with a mutual fund in it.

It really makes no sense to direct your ire at the corporation. All corporations share these same attributes. It is the individual managers that should have their feet held to the fire for their heartless treatment of employees, and other stupid things that have raised the public ire. In every Wal-Mart there is a place on the wall somewhere, where you can see pictures of the store's management team. If one finds outrage in these manager's behavior, let them know. And if nothing is done by the local manager, go to the district manager, or to the media, or the Chamber of Commerce, or the Better Business Bureau, or the National Labor Relations Board. Simply hating the corporation is not enough to effect change.

Because in the end, it's just a store, run by people. Although a big one.

Old 07-01-2008, 10:50 PM

564 posts, read 2,338,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katwoman39154 View Post
Wow cant believe you feel that way about NWA. We hope to move there asap. We currently live in the Jackson, MS area and it stinks nothing but a bunch of thugs living here and talking about rude please come to jackson you'll see what rude really is. We love NWA and we be going there next weekend on vacation. We have always been greeted by very friendly people there and quite helpful too. It is absoutly beautiful there. I would be more than happy to trade places with you.
I was born and raised in Brookhaven, MS, about 60 miles to the south of you.

I feel your pain. The last time I stayed in Jackson to visit family, I wanted out as quick as possible.

Old 07-02-2008, 12:33 AM

6 posts, read 25,919 times
I moved to NWA from South Florida. Recently, I went back to visit family...couldn't WAIT to return to Rogers. Try coming down here...I GUARANTEE you'll be rethinking what you wrote...I'm not saying your opinion is wrong (it's YOUR opinion)...I am saying in MY opinion, it's not as bad is you make it sound.

Old 07-02-2008, 03:09 AM

1,661 posts, read 5,195,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Winkus View Post
<snipped a little y'all understand>Because in the end, it's just a store, run by people. Although a big one.
Bull....I think you knocked it outta the park on that one.

Clicked ya for the contribution.

Old 07-03-2008, 08:10 PM

6 posts, read 25,919 times
Quote:
Hi All,
I live in Benton county, and while I do run into Walmart vendors/suppliers/etc., I run into lots more people that DON'T work for them. Additionally, they are supposedly building a new TARGET in Rogers! Can't wait for that one!

Old 07-04-2008, 10:37 PM

90 posts, read 352,426 times
Default Walmart

My girl works for Walmart corporate and we live 5 minutes from home office and we barely run into any Walmartians. Nobody is going to think any less of you if you dont like Walmart. There are some people here that dont. If you talk bad about it, its not like your talking about their religion. They are used to hearing bad opinions on the company. Its nothing new. And btw, some of the nicest people I have met here are Walmartians.

RogersChick, where in South Florida are you from? I lived in Miami until 2006 when I moved to Rogers and lived there for the a year and a half before moving to Bentonville. What brought you to NW Arkansas?

I love it here and think this thread should be removed. Its way off base and shouldnt even be acknowledged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers