Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2014, 01:43 PM

120 posts, read 214,446 times

Advertisements

Well since this thread has broadened to the topic of diversity, I am hoping someone can reassure me that the large Hispanic population might mean really good Mexican food? I'm talking authentic Mexican, not Tex-Mex One thing I'm sad to give up in CA is awesome, taqueria-style Mexican food. And update: we are at 99% chance of moving. Will need to do more research into schools ASAP. Probably headed out in a few weeks for house-hunting. How's the weather lately? Does the humidity top out July/Aug? We are estimating an early August move-date so as to be prepared for the start of school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2014, 01:55 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,103,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcalgirl36 View Post
Well since this thread has broadened to the topic of diversity, I am hoping someone can reassure me that the large Hispanic population might mean really good Mexican food? I'm talking authentic Mexican, not Tex-Mex One thing I'm sad to give up in CA is awesome, taqueria-style Mexican food. And update: we are at 99% chance of moving. Will need to do more research into schools ASAP. Probably headed out in a few weeks for house-hunting. How's the weather lately? Does the humidity top out July/Aug? We are estimating an early August move-date so as to be prepared for the start of school.
Mexican Food: there are some good hole in the wall places and of course the usual chains. Like you, we want real Mexican, not Americanized or Tex Mex. I always crack up when people rate Abuellos (spelling) as the best Mexican in the region. It is like rating Olive Garden as the best Italian restaurant or Red Lobster as the best seafood.

Weather: so far not one day hitting 90, but it will happen in the next few days according to the weather people. The humidity is up, not unbearable though. I was just outside, picking some tomatoes and there is a nice breeze. It looks like rain will be here any minute. The worst months for the yucky summer weather is July and Aug. By early Sept it starts to cool down a bit. At least most years it does. So far this has been an usually mild summer.

Keep us posted, safe travel and good luck with the house hunting.

Old 06-28-2014, 02:14 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,159,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
A guy in a BMW threw a bottle at me while jogging one time, and promptly turned into a subdivision. I walked up to the security gate and simply proceeded in. When stopped, I looked directly at the woman, told her what I just said here, and said I was going to go have a word with him about it, and turned and continued in. I was bigger than her by a considerable margin, obviously lifted, and was determined to march into that subdivision and was doing it without being threatening about it, but was indeed determined to do so. She could have shot me in the back (Maybe? I don't think she was armed. Low-level rent-a-cop), or done nothing. Those were basically her options at that point. However, kudos to her, she refused to tell me where the guy lived/who he was, which was what I asked her before I walked on in, without being challenged physically or verbally this time.

...sadly, it seemed every prick in that neighborhood had a black 3-series, and I gave up on it and walked out the way I came. Again, unchallenged. There were some nice houses and after about an hour of looking for that BMW, I began finding myself staring at the architecture, losing my immediate desire to smash someone's face in, and left.

After that, I have had zero faith in manned gates. They are like locks. Worthless to even a half-hearted attempt.

Now...East Gate on BAFB is different. They would have gunned me down like a dog. Literally. Some private probably itching for the chance to do it, too.
I lived in a gated community when my car was stolen off its parking spot at night. Word was x was the theif. Unforutnately x lived there and 'word' wasn't enough to ask him. They had an elaborate check in, where residents showed their id and got to drive in or their gate card was waved at the machine. I don't think the machine knew if anything more than a gate card was from there. And if you didn't live there, you have to give an address and name and why you were there. Lost your gate card you had to get in that way too.

Unfortunately, the car thief from outside having lied his way in, he could steal a car and drive out in it, not even a camera. Mine got driven out and parked outside the fence and stripped. They actually had the highest rate of car thefts in the area, way over non gated communities. Don't ever ever assume that gated means anything.

The apartment I lived in had a gate too, but it was so slow it was propped open most of the time, and the druggies just climbed the fence at night.

Gated communities are less than rent a cops in terms of security, and the problem is they lull people into feeling like they are secure.

Old 06-28-2014, 02:18 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,502,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
sorry, it depends on how well it is watched. Do I care if I live in a gated community? Nope, in fact I am glad we do not. We live in one that used to be gated, but apparently they took the gates down years before we moved here. Anyway, if the gates are manned correctly they do help keep the crime down. No, someone can not get past the gates just by saying they are the lawn man, they have to know the name of the owners and they must be registered. it isn't an easy as you think. Will it guarantee no crime? Of course not, but they do add to safety. We have friends in Texas who live in a gated community and our daughter and her husband in Florida do as well. So does my husbands cousins in Scottsdale, AZ. Their's is so gated the property owner has to meet you at the gate.
Not quite. Do you honestly think the $9 an hour security guard cares that much. I know of a gated community in FL that had homes robbed and one of the guards was in on it, he knew what homes belonged to "snowbirds" and were empty.

And if and when we have an economic collapse in this country(and I hope we don't) the "have nots" will head first to the gated communities. Assuming, whether they be correct or not that those folks have more than they do.

They do little more than provide people with a false sense of security. Most of them have walls around them that anyone in halfway decent shape can get over with no problem.

You're better off living in a nice area with a large dog.

Old 06-28-2014, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I lived in a gated community when my car was stolen off its parking spot at night. Word was x was the theif. Unforutnately x lived there and 'word' wasn't enough to ask him. They had an elaborate check in, where residents showed their id and got to drive in or their gate card was waved at the machine. I don't think the machine knew if anything more than a gate card was from there. And if you didn't live there, you have to give an address and name and why you were there. Lost your gate card you had to get in that way too.

Unfortunately, the car thief from outside having lied his way in, he could steal a car and drive out in it, not even a camera. Mine got driven out and parked outside the fence and stripped. They actually had the highest rate of car thefts in the area, way over non gated communities. Don't ever ever assume that gated means anything.

The apartment I lived in had a gate too, but it was so slow it was propped open most of the time, and the druggies just climbed the fence at night.

Gated communities are less than rent a cops in terms of security, and the problem is they lull people into feeling like they are secure.
totally agree about apartment building security. I have never seen one of those gates that really work well. I imagine it is still better than nothing. As for your other story: I don't think anyone is saying, crime doesn't happen in gated communities, but if you live in the right kind, they are much safer than no gates. No one can control crime from within.

Old 06-28-2014, 02:28 PM

2,438 posts, read 2,792,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcalgirl36 View Post

We have authentic Mexican food as well here. I really don't know if the places are listed, but I usually get a burrito from time to time that is a big wrap for around $5. I think you can choose pork, chicken, or beef.. and they have really food but I forgot the name of them. Most of the places were in old diners at one time, or have been converted to a diner. If I drive by the place I am talking about today, I will try to remember to write it down.. but I'll do a quick search on the web as well.

By the way, not all Hispanics are here from South America like I indicated, but we have California Hispanics here is well. Crime is relatively low here.. so walking your child in stroller at night is not a huge deal. I'll look for the eat place now, but if I don't come back, it's not listed.

Also we have an India population because they are usually at work at Wal-mart in IT.

http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs70/f/20...00-d6l0oeq.jpg

Last edited by thegreenflute334; 06-28-2014 at 02:38 PM..

Old 06-28-2014, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
totally agree about apartment building security. I have never seen one of those gates that really work well. I imagine it is still better than nothing. As for your other story: I don't think anyone is saying, crime doesn't happen in gated communities, but if you live in the right kind, they are much safer than no gates. No one can control crime from within.
There is a couple of gated apartment complexes in Bentonville as well ( that would be by Mercy Hospital) These are nice to. Two story generally, double car garage.. gated.

Here is one, but it is not in Bentonville but Rogers..

https://www.google.com/maps/place/St...!6m1!1e1?hl=en

Old 06-28-2014, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Not quite. Do you honestly think the $9 an hour security guard cares that much. I know of a gated community in FL that had homes robbed and one of the guards was in on it, he knew what homes belonged to "snowbirds" and were empty.

And if and when we have an economic collapse in this country(and I hope we don't) the "have nots" will head first to the gated communities. Assuming, whether they be correct or not that those folks have more than they do.

They do little more than provide people with a false sense of security. Most of them have walls around them that anyone in halfway decent shape can get over with no problem.

So you do not think a gated community in a neighborhood of 1/2 mil to million $$s homes are not safer than a standard home, with or without a big dog? That is just crazy thinking. I have 2 relatives, I have mentioned before how live in gated communities: one is our daughter in Florida btw: absolutely no crime. The other is my husbands cousin in Scottsdale on the Carefree border; same story, literally no crime. We are not talking areas with some little fence or something, we are talking truly gated and there is a difference. We are not talking about jumping over a fence or wall, the person who originally commented talked about driving a car right in the gates. Again, no one is saying crime can not happen in these communities, but it is much less likely. Of course there are dishonest people, guards as well as home owners themselves. You are taking one situation and making it sound like all communities are the same. They are not!!!!

Old 06-28-2014, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post

It's different here for sure. I guess we'd be like Texas in that regard but no where near Florida. Florida is a tourist atrraction. ( A nice one too, BTW)

Old 06-28-2014, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreenflute334 View Post
We have authentic Mexican food as well here. I really don't know if the places are listed, but I usually get a burrito from time to time that is a big wrap for around $5. I think you can choose pork, chicken, or beef.. and they have really food but I forgot the name of them. Most of the places were in old diners at one time, or have been converted to a diner. If I drive by the place I am talking about today, I will try to remember to write it down.. but I'll do a quick search on the web as well.

By the way, not all Hispanics are here from South America like I indicated, but we have California Hispanics here is well. Crime is relatively low here.. so walking your child in stroller at night is not a huge deal. I'll look for the eat place now, but if I don't come back, it's not listed.

Also we have an India population because they are usually at work at Wal-mart in IT.

http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs70/f/20...00-d6l0oeq.jpg
There are some decent Indian restaurants I have heard, but I am not a lover of Indian food. Also there are more Asians moving here. And some decent Asian restaurants. Maybe not authentic, but what do most of us know about truly Authentic Asian?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers