Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 05:48 PM

3 posts, read 3,855 times

Advertisements

We may be relocating to NWA from our current home in Atlanta, for my husband's job. I'm trying to narrow down our options about where to live. We plan to rent for 6 months or so regardless, but I'd like to rent in the area where we think we may buy.

A little about us- my husband is an attorney and I am a former teacher turned SAHM. We currently live in the city of Atlanta, in a historic neighborhood with lots of restaurants, farmer's markets, and shopping that we can walk to. I am an avid runner and my husband likes to hunt and fish. We love to travel (so the airport situation in NWA is giving me pause), try new restaurants, etc.

We'd like to find a neighborhood similar to our current one- intown, somewhat walkable, not sprawling cookie cutter McMansions. Currently we have one 7 month old son, but hope & plan for more children. Obviously our son is not in school yet but when he is we'd like for him to attend Catholic school so reasonable proximity is desirable.

Based on the research I've done, it seems like Fayetteville is probably where we'd be happiest. Any thoughts on this? I liked the neighborhoods of Wilson Park & Washington Willow. Any other suggestions? We could spend up to about 650k on a house, but would prefer to spend less and be able to purchase a small lake home if we decide to stay in NWA long term.

A couple of questions:

1. We're practicing Catholics. Will we be the only ones in a sea of Baptists? Anyone know anything about the local parishes and schools? It seems that there are only 2 Catholic k-8 schools and no high schools, but that there had been talk of building one. Has that stalled out?

2. Is there an active running community in the area?

3. Would the commute from Fayetteville to the Walmart home office be hideous?

Thank you in advance for your help and insights!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2014, 08:53 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,130,054 times
I think downtown Fayetteville and downtown Bentonville will both be good options based on your wants. Bentonville's downtown is really improving quickly and has a lot to offer.

The commutes here aren't anything like Atlanta. There is only one freeway, and it is being expanded right now, so traffic is bad for the time being. People here tend to complain about the traffic a lot more than I think is warranted, but to each his own.

We aren't religious so I can't speak to that too much, except that the mega-churches seem to all be north of Fayetteville. I know we have Unitarians and Catholics, Eastern orthodox and Jews here among our friends and co-workers.

As for the Catholic schools, I may be reaching here, but in large parts of the south, Catholic schools get lots of support particularly in areas where the public schools aren't great. Private schools in general here aren't big yet, mainly because the public schools are all still pretty great.

With the national companies based here and the major university, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by the amount of cultural diversity you will find for a small southern metro area.

Old 05-29-2014, 08:56 PM

3,106 posts, read 3,989,345 times
I think it will be a great move.

Old 05-29-2014, 09:29 PM

336 posts, read 589,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliaH22 View Post
It took me 30-45 minutes when I left close to 8 am or a little before. This was before the construction for the US 412 bypass on I-49 (used to be I-540) started, so it might be a little crazier these days.

If you work early hours, the commute isn't so bad as long as it's not during the overnight hours when they're closing lanes and/or shifting lanes.

You might think that taking 71B all the way up to Bentonville might save some time because you're avoiding traffic, but in a place like NWA, you're not actually saving any time. You're better off just staying with the rest of the traffic on I-49 and moving bit by bit as each small section clears up. Just be prepared for a long line when you get to the exits for Walmart. I've tried taking the next exit instead of the one that was backed up, thinking it would save me some time by not having to wait in line, but that again did not save me any time. You're still better off waiting in line to get to the Home Office.

Old 05-29-2014, 10:37 PM

733 posts, read 1,756,201 times
I think you'll really enjoy the move! From the neighborhood you're looking for, I was also going to suggest downtown Bentonville. What you mentioned sounds like what I'm looking for and I'm out in the country right now and plan to move as close as I can to downtown Bentonville. Obviously Fayetteville has more to offer, but as stated, downtown Bentonville has a lot in the works. I live near the airport, so I typically take highway 112 every time I need to go to Fayetteville or Springdale. The speed limit is only 55, but at least I don't have all the crazy traffic. Even though 112 may take a tad bit longer, I feel much safer than I do on I-49.

Old 05-30-2014, 06:49 AM

602 posts, read 1,516,168 times
Fayetteville has a large Catholic community. Regardless of where you live, your son will be able to attend St Joseph's school (located out east of town near Mission and Crossover/hwy 265).

Walkability to downtown F'ville is easy from both the Wilson Park area and Washington/Willow. Prices are going back up so you may be hard pressed to find something in these areas within your budget. The great thing about both these areas is there are big houses ($$$) mixed in with smaller more affordable homes. Recently some homes have sold without every coming on the market--you'll want a really good real estate agent.

Re: Running community is very active in F'ville. Check out Rush Running located on College and Fleet Feet.

Old 05-30-2014, 06:54 AM

3 posts, read 3,855 times
Thanks everyone, for your input!

Can I ask why Bentonville vs. Fayetteville? From what I've been reading online, I was under the impression that Bentonville & Rogers had more of a suburban feel. Is this not the case? I have not yet been out to visit, although probably will in the next month or so.

Old 05-30-2014, 06:58 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
We may be relocating to NWA from our current home in Atlanta, for my husband's job. I'm trying to narrow down our options about where to live. We plan to rent for 6 months or so regardless, but I'd like to rent in the area where we think we may buy.

A little about us- my husband is an attorney and I am a former teacher turned SAHM. We currently live in the city of Atlanta, in a historic neighborhood with lots of restaurants, farmer's markets, and shopping that we can walk to. I am an avid runner and my husband likes to hunt and fish. We love to travel (so the airport situation in NWA is giving me pause), try new restaurants, etc.

We'd like to find a neighborhood similar to our current one- intown, somewhat walkable, not sprawling cookie cutter McMansions. Currently we have one 7 month old son, but hope & plan for more children. Obviously our son is not in school yet but when he is we'd like for him to attend Catholic school so reasonable proximity is desirable.

Based on the research I've done, it seems like Fayetteville is probably where we'd be happiest. Any thoughts on this? I liked the neighborhoods of Wilson Park & Washington Willow. Any other suggestions? We could spend up to about 650k on a house, but would prefer to spend less and be able to purchase a small lake home if we decide to stay in NWA long term.

A couple of questions:

1. We're practicing Catholics. Will we be the only ones in a sea of Baptists? Anyone know anything about the local parishes and schools? It seems that there are only 2 Catholic k-8 schools and no high schools, but that there had been talk of building one. Has that stalled out?

2. Is there an active running community in the area?

Thank you in advance for your help and insights!
like has been mentioned both downtown Fayetteville and downtown Bentonville will be your best options, plus, look at the area near downtown Rogers. All 3 have some or most of what you are wanting. The biggest problem you are going to run into and it might be a big one, is finding decent rentals in any of those areas.

As for the commute from Fayetteville to the Walmart headquarters, that depends on what you are accustom to and what you consider hideous.

As for the Catholic school situation, there is a good Catholic school in Rogers. I don't know about the other communities. I do know you will not have trouble fitting in regardless of the reputation AR has for being Bible Belt Baptists. Let's just say, among our friends here, we have more Lutherans, Catholics, Methodist, non denominational and Catholics than Baptists.

There are good places for running in all of the cities here in NWA and lots of groups of runners. This shouldn't be a problem for you.

I am sure, if you have the time and you will, you can do investigating on your own and see what neighborhoods will best fit your family needs and interests. All we can do is give you some ideas. What works for one, may not work for someone else. And I see, from you last post, you are under the impression Bentonville and Rogers are mostly burbs. This is only partly true, both have some awesome homes (historical or certainly older) near their downtown areas and both have lots of city pride. Don't get me wrong, Fayetteville is great as well, but just don't close your eyes to the other cities, especially when you are talking about working at WalMart.

Old 05-30-2014, 09:59 AM

336 posts, read 589,702 times
Quote:
Thanks everyone, for your input!

Can I ask why Bentonville vs. Fayetteville? From what I've been reading online, I was under the impression that Bentonville & Rogers had more of a suburban feel. Is this not the case? I have not yet been out to visit, although probably will in the next month or so.
I had friends from school who felt safer living in Bentonville and one couple bought a house close to there with plans to start a family. Bentonville and Rogers will give you more of a suburban feel. Since you're away from the U of A, you get less of that college town feeling, and some businesses geared towards college students may not be available until later.

Usually, popular shops will go in both Fayetteville and Rogers so you won't have to go to Fayetteville just for shopping on most occasions when you're not looking for something specific.

They have plans to build additional stuff in downtown Bentonville, but until that gets done, the downtown feeling that most people expect will be in Fayetteville around Dickson Street and the town square down Block street.

Old 05-31-2014, 04:52 AM

39 posts, read 82,490 times
I have quiet a few friends who work in Walmart HQ in Bentonville live in Fayetteville. One of the reasons they chose to live in Fayetteville is that they don't want to bump into coworkers outside the work (in grocery stores, restaurants, next door neighbor etc.) since Bentonville is a company town. If you lived in big cities, commute time may not bother you. Running, biking and outdoor activities are huge here. I see these Subarus with bicycles and kayaks all the time around Fayetteville.

Having said that, Housing seem little cheaper and you will have more choices in Bentonville/Rogers. You will be closer to work as well.

Last edited by Dil'se; 05-31-2014 at 05:26 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers