Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 04:25 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Climber View Post
I've lived in tornado country my whole life. Not only have I never seen one, I've never suffered property damage from one, nor has anyone I personally know.

You are much more likely to suffer a house fire. Honestly, when people from other places freak out about tornadoes, I don't think they are realistic about the odds. Large tornadoes are exceedingly rare in populated areas. That's why every one of them is major news.

The neighborhood in which we live has homes from the 20s, 30s and 40s. Never been touched by a twister, and most likely never will be.
We lived 13 years in the suburbs of Dallas and have been here 6. We have yet to see a tornado. OP, yes, there are no guarantees, but the chances are so remote, I wouldn't give it another thought. Heck, we lived in the Abq area for 7 years; they have the best weather in the nation I think and yet, we had one hair storm that resulted in everyone on our block needing new roofs. That probably was a once in a lifetime storm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 11:09 AM

1,351 posts, read 2,130,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
But when a tornado does hit a town and people are killed, the first question everyone asks is..........."and nobody had a tornado shelter "?

I'll bet 20 years ago residents of Joplin MO thought tornado shelters were not needed also.
The same thing could be said about a house fire and not having a sprinkler system in your house. Its just that a person's house burning down is a local event and barely makes news. And the majority of Joplin residents were just fine not having a tornado shelter because it didn't destroy the entire city, like the news made it appear. It went through a section of the city. A tornado that size hitting a populated area really isn't that common.

Homes being destroyed by fire happens daily. We don't have a tornado shelter, nor do we have a home sprinkler system. I guess we are just throwing caution to the wind in all aspects of our personal safety.

Old 06-06-2014, 11:27 AM

3,433 posts, read 5,745,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Climber View Post
The same thing could be said about a house fire and not having a sprinkler system in your house. Its just that a person's house burning down is a local event and barely makes news. And the majority of Joplin residents were just fine not having a tornado shelter because it didn't destroy the entire city, like the news made it appear. It went through a section of the city. A tornado that size hitting a populated area really isn't that common.

Homes being destroyed by fire happens daily. We don't have a tornado shelter, nor do we have a home sprinkler system. I guess we are just throwing caution to the wind in all aspects of our personal safety.

maybe I should drop the fire insurance on my house as well.

None of my relatives/ancestors ever had their house burn down either .........SARC

Old 06-06-2014, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrider434 View Post
Not so sure about that just yet, but have to admit, the tornado thing still troubles me a bit

it boils down to this..............we all can tell you not to worry and quote statistics all day long.
However, perception is reality.

If you truly are worried about tornados, installing a shelter would be an economical way to bring/buy you peace of mind for as long as you live there.

Plus, it might be a selling advantage when your heirs sell the house after you die.

Old 06-06-2014, 02:01 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,130,054 times
Quote:
maybe I should drop the fire insurance on my house as well.

None of my relatives/ancestors ever had their house burn down either .........SARC
Its not about insurance. Its about being afraid to live somewhere because of "possible" weather. The same coverage that would replace your home after a fire would be the same that would replace your home after a tornado. The only distinction being that a fire is much more likely to happen.

The analog would actually be "maybe I should live in a cinder-block cave because my house might burn down if it is constructed of anything flammable".

I don't want to ridicule anybody's fears, but it seems to be a common concern of people from out west. I think its a more legit fear in somewhere like OKC, which seems to have several large storms every year. But we don't have that here.

Old 06-06-2014, 04:58 PM

2,919 posts, read 3,186,351 times
Just saw this

Wicked wind rips northeast in state, kills 2

Old 06-07-2014, 04:05 AM

Quote:
freak storm, overturned train cars and was nowhere near NWA really...

Old 06-07-2014, 08:18 AM

3,106 posts, read 3,989,345 times
Quote:
What kind of foods do you eat, how often do you exercise, and are you of healthy weight? Do you smoke?

These questions and their answers are so much more pertinent to your existence than fixating on tornado's.

I understand your concerns, yes, I do. I did research it before I decided to buy land, etc. but you have fixated on something that on a scale of 1-10 doesn't really rank, as EVERY area has had/can have natural disasters, and seem to be giving it an importance of 10. Again, not trying to be rude, but you're just not being very logical. If the area appeals to you, then move. If not, then don't, but tornado's? That's not a legit reason either way.

Let me word this another way...

Wal-Mart generated 476 Billion dollars in revenue last year. They are the largest public corporation in the world.
JB Hunt has a net-worth of several Billion dollars and is the 80th largest trucking company in the US.
Tyson foods is the largest processor of chicken and beef and pork. In the world. They export to 90+ countries.

All of these companies have their world headquarters in the NWA area. Do you REALLY think that if they were at any considerable risk which were avoidable by relocation to a different environment that they would be there?

Old 06-07-2014, 09:01 AM

Some people have a fear of flying , also ( my wife did )

Stating all the statistics in the world did nothing to calm her concerns.

I am sure the few people in NWA who have bought tornado shelters were well aware of those accurate statistics, but it probably didn't calm their concerns.

Last edited by Teddy52; 06-07-2014 at 09:19 AM..

Old 06-07-2014, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Some people have a fear of flying , also ( my wife did )

Stating all the statistics in the world did nothing to calm her concerns.

I am sure the few people in NWA who have bought tornado shelters were well aware of those accurate statistics, but it probably didn't calm their concerns.
to be honest, I think anyone that is that worried about the long shot possibility of a tornado or any other natural disaster probably needs to find somewhere else to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers