Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 05:24 PM

2,919 posts, read 3,187,379 times

Advertisements

Appreciate hearing from any northerners (MI, MN, IA, NY, CT, ME, NH, ILL, and etc...), who have chosen to move to NWA. How has your experience been like on a whole? The good and the bad? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2014, 03:20 PM

194 posts, read 262,323 times
I am moving from the Chicago area to Bella Vista in September-going next week to look for a place-I'll let you know once I get there

Old 07-28-2014, 10:56 PM

Bella Vista seems to the one of the retirement spots there in NWA. I was just trying to get an idea if they are made to feel welcome, or find folks accepting and receptive. Many places in the south don't seem to fancy northerners moving down, so was trying to get a gauge on how northerners are received in AR, and how there experiences have been thus far. No replies though.

Old 07-29-2014, 05:39 AM

47 posts, read 117,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrider434 View Post
Bella Vista seems to the one of the retirement spots there in NWA. I was just trying to get an idea if they are made to feel welcome, or find folks accepting and receptive. Many places in the south don't seem to fancy northerners moving down, so was trying to get a gauge on how northerners are received in AR, and how there experiences have been thus far. No replies though.
We are heading down to the Bentonville area over labor day weekend (Going to stay fri-sat-sun, leave Monday)
We are going to check out the areas as much as we can and decide where we will want to look for a house, we are still undecided i want to move outside of the city the wife wants to move in the city area but we will come to an agreement... eventually She was always a city girl and says shes afraid of the mixture of dark and woods lol.

Anyways, i feel most people are very friendly from what ive read here. You have to remember this whole area has A LOT of people who moved from other states, Fayetteville is a college town so theirs kids coming from all over the US for that too. Also the ozarks are around there, so im sure besides all the people coming to the area for business trips for Walmart, Tyson & JB hunt etc, im sure quite a few tourist come through too.

When we head there were gonna ask around. Ask people if they could live anywhere in the area where would they want to live, send there kids to school etc, the areas to stay away from.. (Being from around Milwaukee and having to work in some very bad areas in the past, i dont think even the worst area there will be close to what we have here)

Im not to worried if we get a few snobs, if i feel comfortable asking people there without getting shot thats a big enough plus for me.. lol

Old 07-29-2014, 08:40 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
We are very friendly, lots to do if you want to get involved and we have many people from upper Midwest and the Midwest living in Bella Vista. BTW, it isn't just a retirement city anymore, we have a lot of younger people with families, which is good for the future of the area.

Old 07-29-2014, 04:06 PM

3,106 posts, read 3,991,373 times
When I visited, I saw pretty much every kind of person there, and everyone seemed to get along fine. It was VERY color-blind for the south, and many people I talked to came from all over. VA,NY,CA, etc. etc. It struck me as a very accepting place, so long as you didn't act like an idiot. I just got the vibe that acting like trash would get you run out of town fast. I liked that vibe.

Old 07-29-2014, 06:21 PM

I am west coaster having spent many many years there, but I was raised in New England, and I am not sure that New Englander's with a strong accent would be as received as well, as say, a Midwesterner might be, in AR. I mean moving from a very libertarian place like WA state to AR, for me, needs to be contemplated carefully, imo.

Last edited by folkguitarist555; 07-29-2014 at 06:48 PM..

Old 07-30-2014, 10:59 AM

Quote:
I am west coaster having spent many many years there, but I was raised in New England, and I am not sure that New Englander's with a strong accent would be as received as well, as say, a Midwesterner might be, in AR. I mean moving from a very libertarian place like WA state to AR, for me, needs to be contemplated carefully, imo.
so, regardless of what we are saying, you have concerns. I don't know what more anyone can do to help you. I think you will just have to move here.. There are people living here from New England, as well as NYC and the mid Atlantic states. Remember, between parts of the area originally being a retirement region and the headquarters for 3 very large international companies being here, there is a huge population from all over the country and the world. I have 2 friends here from Ct. Yes, it is politically conservative overall but you can find a good mixture of views. Pot for medicinal purposes almost passed in 2012 and that was the entire state. That should give you a clue to the overall thinking of our region.

Nita

Old 07-31-2014, 02:55 PM

well NWA seems like a tough area to beat, as far as a nice place overall......I would want to be off the beaten path, slightly, if I were to buy a home there......I really cant find many other areas in the USA that beat NWA, as far as fair home prices, and nice ones at that.....try duplicating that anywhere in the west coast.....you cant.

Old 08-01-2014, 08:34 AM

Quote:
well NWA seems like a tough area to beat, as far as a nice place overall......I would want to be off the beaten path, slightly, if I were to buy a home there......I really cant find many other areas in the USA that beat NWA, as far as fair home prices, and nice ones at that.....try duplicating that anywhere in the west coast.....you cant.
That is for sure. We just had company from AZ. they do live in a very high end community in NO. Scottsdale. When they go out on the lake here, with us, they look at the homes on hills overlooking the lake and assume most are at least a mil if not more, based on west coast prices. I don't think they believe us when we say, they are usually 400,000 to $600,000. Probably the basic home here, 2000 sq ft is selling for $175,000 to $200.00 depending on location and age plus updates. Bentonville and some of the other cities are a tiny bit more expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers