Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 11:06 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,102,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
Never been to the Bronx, but have travelled through upstate NY. The area here, in places (esp. Winslow/near MO) look very similar...minus the ridiculous cold in winter.

Anyway, pretty nature.

Insane low cost of living.

I know 0 about the schools here, except when you have half of the Forbes top 10 living in the area, you know their kids are getting educated somehow.
Comparing upstate to NYC (da Bronx) is like comparing a refugee camp in Africa to the middle of DC. IOW, there is no comparison. Da Bronx is nothing like upstate NY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
It will be a culture shock.

My parents moved the family from Massachusetts to Arkansas many years ago, and it was very much a culture shock. People are people, so it's not like you will suddenly find yourself among aliens, but people have different priorities. Even though Northwest Arkansas is fairly urban by Midwest standards, just a few decades ago it was very rural. And NYC is just about as urban as it gets. The rural versus urban mindsets will pose a cultural gulf. Then there's the things you don't think about. The food difference is huge. Even this past year my parents drove up to New England for a month, and brought back food items you probably wouldn't think about. Not seafood, which is best fresh, but deli meats, and Maypo, kielbasa and Vermont cheese, maple syrup, and so on. I wanted them to bring back a case of Tab, but they didn't have room. And my parents ate out most of the time, feasting on seafood, pizza, hoagies, things they simply can't find here.

My father, a night owl by nature, misses the eleven o'clock news, and some of the local television programs. We miss the ocean.

When we moved here, I remember being amazed by the number of churches. It's not so striking now, but you will notice the lack of neighborhood bars, and you probably will notice the number of churches. You'll probably notice the lack of crime. That even at the grocery store people might leave their cars unlocked. Shopping will be different, because mostly people go to shopping centers. You'll miss the bakeries.

You'll love Beaver Lake. Rent a boat from one of the marinas and explore, Beaver Lake is HUGE. You'll hate the summer heat, but you'll quickly appreciate that EVERYWHERE is air-conditioned. When you go to the movies in the summer, it's a good idea to take a sweater. They really crank up the air-conditioning in the theaters. And you can go to the drive-in movies in the summer, too. The public pool in Springdale is great, and it's not overpriced like the one in Rogers. There are bike trails and hiking and parks all over the area.

You'll miss the professional sports teams, but you'll love going to Naturals' games, and you will love tailgating and then watching the Razorbacks play. You can go ice skating at the Jones Center, and floating the Buffalo and getting fresh food at the farmers' markets.

Northwest Arkansas will be different, and there will be lots of things you'll miss. But life's an adventure, and experiencing different cultures is part of that adventure. Good luck!
I can't comment on NW Arkansas; I can comment on moving from NYC to the anywhere in the Bible Belt. We moved from Staten Island (not nearly as "city" as da Bronx) to SW TN. There's so much you will need to adjust to on a daily basis:

1. pizza - what is down here is nothing like what you're used to - can't even find decent italian bread;
2. take-out - looking for good chinese? or indian or even Mexican - you might find one; but then you have to drive "to town" unless you live in-town and still it could mean a 15 minute or more drive - nothing is within walking distance;
3. bodega - the closest is the DollarGeneral but it isn't what you are used to;
4. you NEED a 2nd car. It doesn't matter if you only have 1 driver or both work at home; there's no taking public transport like in NYC. We tried with only 1 vehicle, but the first time you need a back-up, you'll do what we did and run out to buy a 2nd.
5. the people are friendlier. I tried saying that people are people, but it isn't quite accurate. The first week we were here, I left a package of hangers in my shopping cart when leaving the DG (DollarGeneral). When I went back a couple days later, the cashier handed me a bag and said that I had left it in my cart and the person couldn't get my attention (I'm hearing impaired) so he brought it into the store and they held it for me with my name on it. How did they know my name? I had been greeted by the cashiers each time I went into the store that first week (nearly daily) and they asked;
6. people WILL know your business, get used to it - fast. We are in the county (which means we are not in a town/city and services are minimal - so are taxes); we have many neighbors who, it's reported to me by the friendly cashiers at the DG, know - and pay attention to - what's going on at our home. We had a deck built - talk of the store; we added gas - talk of the store; neighbors now wave as we pass on the street; some neighbors honk when we're outside;
7. doorbells - you probably won't have one unless you're "in town" - there's no need, people will honk when they pull into your driveway - after all, you might have a dog or 4 that will not like them getting out of the car;

We love it - and are thrilled that we moved but it took some major adjustments and we bought a 2nd vehicle - and made sure it could tow a trailer - and we bought a trailer - and our date night is to go out for pizza and the auction. Yup, country auction.

Some things are far more expensive than NYC - the markets here do not have to compete with each other as in the city - sales are few and not nearly as good - but produce is plentiful in season and you will learn to can and freeze your own. Enjoy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2015, 12:13 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,245,614 times
NY Annie, NW Arkansas is nothing like that. You might have described the area 10 years ago or maybe some of the rural parts of AR. Despite that I think your post highlights some of the potential things a newbie might "feel" during their first year or so. The OP does have relatives here to ease them in so I think they'll need to just make the trip and see where they want to live.

The sale of an existing house will go a long way in helping on the down for a new house. They can go frugal and get a mobile home on a rural piece of property for under well under $100k or go high end in a gated community like Pinnacle for less than a home in the bad part of NYC.

My advice is to rent and get a feel of the area first. I suspect a newcomer might bring some mental baggage with them when they look for a house and ultimately choose poorly... (ex ooh, that pinnacle house is super cheap compared to NYC property values)

Old 03-03-2015, 01:45 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
I wouldn't consider it much culture shock unless you go looking for it, honestly. Tons of people here from NY,CA, etc. so much so that it feels like a big melting pot. Similar to NY, but much less density.
I disagree with you: it will be a cultural shock; this doesn't have to be a bad thing but believe me, living in NYC and living in NWA are as different as night and day. Now, what NYAnnie said, some is very true but she still lives in TN which is quite different from living in NWA. I can add, visiting in up state NY is nothing like visting or living in NYC. NYC isn't even like Los Angeles or Dallas. It is a place of its own. I think what the OP seems to want and her reason for moving will make her love living here.

Old 03-03-2015, 09:06 PM

3,106 posts, read 3,987,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I disagree with you: it will be a cultural shock; this doesn't have to be a bad thing but believe me, living in NYC and living in NWA are as different as night and day. Now, what NYAnnie said, some is very true but she still lives in TN which is quite different from living in NWA. I can add, visiting in up state NY is nothing like visting or living in NYC. NYC isn't even like Los Angeles or Dallas. It is a place of its own. I think what the OP seems to want and her reason for moving will make her love living here.

No comment on the bronx or NYC. I have not visited either. I just know that upstate NY looks a lot like here, and the people are similar, if a bit more reserved in NY, but really I guess that's non-applicable to OP.

Old 03-19-2015, 08:51 PM

15 posts, read 32,891 times
Thanks for the feedback! Coming from Bronx New York will be very different I know this. A lot of people don't know Bronx has a very suburb area which I live. My kids go to a great school here . But reality is too expensive on one income I have small children want to enjoy them so I am home with them. Than you have the Bronx , shootings everyday ,stabbings, gangs overtaken the school system which I don't live but our community of throggs neck country club. Is changing. I do not want my soon to be 6 grade daughter in one of the top 12 dangerous middle schools in the Bronx. We chose Arkansas nw my sister in law is there. School is number 1 priority I want nothing less than a 6 rating , my children are smart very high percentile, above average kids ... Also my one son has a classification of autism higher functioning can talk, bright the next Einstein his teachers call him, he will be entering 2 grade. He loves nature loves animals anything technology , music art. Than there is my 5 year old entering kindergarten. I am hoping more calm less complex. We are visiting July to look for a home more to rent than buy later. I am looking in Springdale but not getting good ratings on schools or neighborhood. I like Fayetteville, Lowell , and want to look in Bella vista and Bentonville . Safety and school are my main concern. if anyone has more feedback for us truly appreciate it. I'm getting very excited Thanks ��

Old 03-20-2015, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDitroia View Post
Thanks for the feedback! Coming from Bronx New York will be very different I know this. A lot of people don't know Bronx has a very suburb area which I live. My kids go to a great school here . But reality is too expensive on one income I have small children want to enjoy them so I am home with them. Than you have the Bronx , shootings everyday ,stabbings, gangs overtaken the school system which I don't live but our community of throggs neck country club. Is changing. I do not want my soon to be 6 grade daughter in one of the top 12 dangerous middle schools in the Bronx. We chose Arkansas nw my sister in law is there. School is number 1 priority I want nothing less than a 6 rating , my children are smart very high percentile, above average kids ... Also my one son has a classification of autism higher functioning can talk, bright the next Einstein his teachers call him, he will be entering 2 grade. He loves nature loves animals anything technology , music art. Than there is my 5 year old entering kindergarten. I am hoping more calm less complex. We are visiting July to look for a home more to rent than buy later. I am looking in Springdale but not getting good ratings on schools or neighborhood. I like Fayetteville, Lowell , and want to look in Bella vista and Bentonville . Safety and school are my main concern. if anyone has more feedback for us truly appreciate it. I'm getting very excited Thanks ��
Good with your house hunting; sounds like you have your head on straight. BTW, as for Lowell, our great granddaughter lives in Lowell and attends Lowell elementary. She is an advanced, very bright little 8 year old. The elementary school gets great ratings. I don't know about the middle school though. As for safety, you are going to find NWA very safe compared to where you what you are used to seeing and hearing.

Nita

Old 03-20-2015, 09:21 AM

44 posts, read 74,052 times
If education and safety are truly your primary concerns, as well as having a lower cost of living and beautiful nature surrounding you, then you will most likely love NW AR. Most here are transplants that came wishing for the same & staying. Everything will be different, except for what side of the road you drive on, but I have found it to be very interesting & a great learning experience. I believe Bella Vista was named one of the top 10 safest cities in the nation last year. It is quite an adjustment not to have to be on gaurd 24/7 & expecting the worst. I'm from Hollywood and this has been a wonderful move for my family, especially kids. I know Bentonville & Rogers have great school districts & if your husband may work in Springdale, it's not that far from those district territories. Don't hesitate to call the school districts and specifically ask about their programs as it related to your kids. Good luck!

Old 04-27-2015, 07:23 AM

Thank you all... Update we have less than 100 days for our big move from New York! We actually narrowed it down to Bentonville and Fayetteville. I came into contact with a real estate agent dealing with rentals for now until we decide when and where we would like to buy a home. I am
Just hoping my family especially my kids have an easy transition , I hope they won't be labeled especially my 11 year old will be labeled a Yankee which I was told by a woman in Tennessee , than agian it's not Arkansas. We are looking for a better quality of life thus our move. Yes we are coming from Bronx New York, yes Bronx has a reputation but me and my family are not rude or ghetto. Actually I am Christian my husband is catholic my kids are raised Christian. That I mentioned that I actually called a Christian school and they seemed very bothered I was from New York never the less the Bronx . Thus did not send me the info packet on their school or the papers to register my kids . Which is fine. But I appreciate all your responses has helped much ! Thanks!

Old 04-27-2015, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDitroia View Post
Thank you all... Update we have less than 100 days for our big move from New York! We actually narrowed it down to Bentonville and Fayetteville. I came into contact with a real estate agent dealing with rentals for now until we decide when and where we would like to buy a home. I am
Just hoping my family especially my kids have an easy transition , I hope they won't be labeled especially my 11 year old will be labeled a Yankee which I was told by a woman in Tennessee , than agian it's not Arkansas. We are looking for a better quality of life thus our move. Yes we are coming from Bronx New York, yes Bronx has a reputation but me and my family are not rude or ghetto. Actually I am Christian my husband is catholic my kids are raised Christian. That I mentioned that I actually called a Christian school and they seemed very bothered I was from New York never the less the Bronx . Thus did not send me the info packet on their school or the papers to register my kids . Which is fine. But I appreciate all your responses has helped much ! Thanks!
Your kids will be just fine. The Bentonville area is made up of all demographis and ethnic mixes as well as a popular place for people from all over the country. FAyetteville as well, but maybe not quite as much. Keep us posted. I am sorry the school neglected to send you the info you wanted. Maybe they just misplaced your information or got busy and forgot. Regardless, the public schools are great.

Nita

Old 04-27-2015, 07:44 AM

Thanks Nita !! Have a great day!��
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers