Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 12:59 PM

4,602 posts, read 6,364,058 times

Advertisements

"but they are a name everyone recognizes"....that is a pretty broad statement...I had never heard of 'em before they made the national news...

Regards
Gemstone1

Last edited by gemstone1; 05-29-2015 at 01:36 PM..

Old 05-30-2015, 09:47 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,131,035 times
The Duggars made some enemies locally (and nationally) when they came out against local LGBT rights laws. Michelle even lent her voice to a robocall seeking to influence the electorate in a city they do not live in.

People here feel the same about the Duggars as people around the country feel about the Duggars. Some love them, some hate them, most don't care too much about them, and some have never even heard of them.

Old 05-31-2015, 05:47 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
"but they are a name everyone recognizes"....that is a pretty broad statement...I had never heard of 'em before they made the national news...

Regards
Gemstone1
I am sure some haven't heard of them, but believe me,most people, over the past 10 years are familiar with the name. Just their TV reality show alone, even if you don't watch TV reality put them on the map and into the homes of the majority of people.

Old 06-08-2015, 04:16 AM

316 posts, read 214,562 times
I don't think they have much clout at all considering the politicians they represent lose. As far a s"paying their own" way, before TLC, they got help from their old church and living in a small house on a busy highway. Obviously, real estate income stopped being enough to support their family.

Though they weren't starving by no means,the Duggars are far better off now than then. I have read and studied Quiverfull and Fundamentalism. The Duggars are an exception. An article on another thread here" I could Have Been a Duggar" the article talks about how most families of ten or so live in single wide trailers wearing thread bare clothes. I will say Jim Bob made some smart business moves, but taking care of 21 people is costly.

Old 06-08-2015, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddma View Post
I don't think they have much clout at all considering the politicians they represent lose. As far a s"paying their own" way, before TLC, they got help from their old church and living in a small house on a busy highway. Obviously, real estate income stopped being enough to support their family.

Though they weren't starving by no means,the Duggars are far better off now than then. I have read and studied Quiverfull and Fundamentalism. The Duggars are an exception. An article on another thread here" I could Have Been a Duggar" the article talks about how most families of ten or so live in single wide trailers wearing thread bare clothes. I will say Jim Bob made some smart business moves, but taking care of 21 people is costly.
Of course they are much better off now than before TLC, that goes without saying. I agree they really don't have much clout with the party or in the area. AS for your saying what you did about most families with 10 kids live in single wide trailers and wear thread bare clothes that is going a little overboard. Obviously the author of the article was generalizing. I have known a few very large families, maybe not over 10 or so, but darn close and they were not living on welfare, did not wear thread bare clothes and certainly didn't live in trailers. Comments like that are similar to comments made about people living in the south all being uneducated.

Old 06-08-2015, 06:55 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,395,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Of course they are much better off now than before TLC, that goes without saying. I agree they really don't have much clout with the party or in the area. AS for your saying what you did about most families with 10 kids live in single wide trailers and wear thread bare clothes that is going a little overboard. Obviously the author of the article was generalizing.
Quote:
I have known a few very large families, maybe not over 10 or so, but darn close
and they were not living on welfare, did not wear thread bare clothes and
certainly didn't live in trailers. Comments like that are similar to comments
made about people living in the south all being uneducated.
I've know large families that do ok too.... I think the difference is that quiverfull/"fundie" families often believe that the woman's place is in the home having children and are therefore not encouraged/allowed to pursue education past high school or work outside the home. They also often refuse to take government or social assistance beyond their church.

I grew up poor in a larger (four kids so not huge) - and when my dad was laid off from his job, my mom went to work to help provide for us.

Old 06-08-2015, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post
I've know large families that do ok too.... I think the difference is that quiverfull/"fundie" families often believe that the woman's place is in the home having children and are therefore not encouraged/allowed to pursue education past high school or work outside the home. They also often refuse to take government or social assistance beyond their church.

I grew up poor in a larger (four kids so not huge) - and when my dad was laid off from his job, my mom went to work to help provide for us.
This is pretty much true, but then who are we to judge what is right for another family. We have a family in our church for starters, they have 6 kids and mom just miscarried last week. Yes, the girls, the oldest being about 14, are being raised to be wives and mothers.Is this what I would do or what my family did? No, but for them it is ok. BTW, they are not poor by anymeans. Dad has a good job and is educated. Mom has a teaching certificate, but choose to be a stay at home mom.

Old 06-08-2015, 10:08 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,395,410 times
Quote:
This is pretty much true, but then who are we to judge what is right for another family. We have a family in our church for starters, they have 6 kids and mom just miscarried last week. Yes, the girls, the oldest being about 14, are being raised to be wives and mothers.Is this what I would do or what my family did? No, but for them it is ok. BTW, they are not poor by anymeans. Dad has a good job and is educated. Mom has a teaching certificate, but choose to be a stay at home mom.
Sorry, but yeah - not allowing your girl children to pursue higher education and employment is idiocy. What if dad loses his job, dies, gets disabled, leaves? What if any of those things happen to the girls future hsubands? Having as many children as you can manage and provide for - fine. Not teaching yor children, regardless of sex, to be able to provide for themelves and stand on their own two feet - not fine,IMO.

I'm (currently) a SAHM by choice. If my daughter wants to stay at home with her kids for a while or forever and she has the means to do it fine. But that will be her choice - not soething forced upon her...

Old 06-08-2015, 10:10 AM

14,949 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
With 6 kids I could imagine the costs of child care would exceed anything she could make as a teacher.

Old 06-08-2015, 10:25 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,450,610 times
It's only thanks to the perverse business of "reality TV" that child molesters have any clout.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers