Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 10:41 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,974,728 times

Advertisements

Northwest Arkansas isn't the Midwest and obviously doesn't get as cold as most of the Midwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2014, 09:02 AM

119 posts, read 243,818 times
Are you asking us to compare winter in Fayetteville to Des Moines? Not even close. To Kansas City? Not even close. Fayetteville even gets significantly less snow than Springfield, Missouri.

Yeah, its colder than Little Rock but Fayetteville only averages like 4 inches of snow per year. That is not a midwestern winter. It also averages a high of like 50 degrees in December/January. Des Moines probably averages 30 degrees in those months. Kansas City averages 40 in Dec/Jan with 13 in of snow

Bottom line, no. Probably because Fayetteville isnt in the midwest

Old 07-20-2014, 12:54 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjrush View Post
Are you asking us to compare winter in Fayetteville to Des Moines? Not even close. To Kansas City? Not even close. Fayetteville even gets significantly less snow than Springfield, Missouri.

Yeah, its colder than Little Rock but Fayetteville only averages like 4 inches of snow per year. That is not a midwestern winter. It also averages a high of like 50 degrees in December/January. Des Moines probably averages 30 degrees in those months. Kansas City averages 40 in Dec/Jan with 13 in of snow

Bottom line, no. Probably because Fayetteville isnt in the midwest
KC averages are much warmer now compared to the past. I think the coldest highs there are in the 35-37F range at the airport which is on the north side of the city. Snow averages 18-20 inches per season. So, even KC has very mild winters compared to most of the core area of the Midwest. Fayetteville and Springfield are not part of the Midwest.

Old 07-20-2014, 05:20 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,857,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
KC averages are much warmer now compared to the past. I think the coldest highs there are in the 35-37F range at the airport which is on the north side of the city. Snow averages 18-20 inches per season. So, even KC has very mild winters compared to most of the core area of the Midwest. Fayetteville and Springfield are not part of the Midwest.
Either way, Kansas City is usually colder and snowier than anywhere in Arkansas.
We may disagree on Springfield, but I definitely agree that no part of Arkansas is in the Midwest. I find it to be one of the stranger discussions on City-Data, so having to dispute it just seems awkward.

And no, winters in Arkansas are nothing to fear or even give special preparation for. If it snows that much, do like everyone else and stay home 'till it melts.

Old 07-20-2014, 07:23 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
Either way, Kansas City is usually colder and snowier than anywhere in Arkansas.
We may disagree on Springfield, but I definitely agree that no part of Arkansas is in the Midwest. I find it to be one of the stranger discussions on City-Data, so having to dispute it just seems awkward.

And no, winters in Arkansas are nothing to fear or even give special preparation for. If it snows that much, do like everyone else and stay home 'till it melts.
True, and Wisconsin winters make KC winters appear to be very mild. It is all about what one is accustomed to dealing with. I was up in northern Wisconsin in January with wind chill of -50F on the new scale. KC people get scared of a few inches of snow most of the time. lol

Old 07-21-2014, 09:58 PM

2,438 posts, read 2,808,550 times
I was talking to a few New Yorkers in Bentonville today and they said NWA is light compared to New York, but are investing in snow shovels from Target and Wal-Mart. I have a snow plow and I've already purchased an extension for my mailbox pole, that rises to 7 feet. The winter before last, we received 34" inches of snow in two days.

Old 07-23-2014, 04:25 PM

62 posts, read 112,381 times
the question is: "Does NW Arkansas get as cols as THE REST of the MIDWEST?" --- I'm sorry...did I hear the question wrong??

Old 07-25-2014, 10:07 AM

62 posts, read 112,381 times
There are so many inaccurate statements in that last post I'm not sure where to even begin. First off, I don't think you understand what a border state is and need to do about less than 5 minutes of research to discover what states that includes. Hint: Arkansas has NEVER even remotely been considered a border state....Second off, it is utterly ridiculous to make the statement that Missouri is considered to have fought for the north when the confederates basically controlled the entirety of Southern Missouri and the union had control in the northern section of the state. One of MANY ways that state is split. (A Border State)

As far as the comparison of weather in NWA is concerned...THEN WHY DOES IT SAY THE REST OF THE MIDWEST?!? If it is truly comparing it to the rest of the south????

And for the record, going off the weather reports, NWA weather is virtually identical to Nashville, Knoxville, Memphis, and Charlotte. HARDLY comparable to Des Moines, Chicago, Detroit, Indy, Minneapolis, Omaha, Souix Falls, Green Bay, etc...

Old 07-28-2014, 08:52 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbythegraceofgod View Post
There are so many inaccurate statements in that last post I'm not sure where to even begin. First off, I don't think you understand what a border state is and need to do about less than 5 minutes of research to discover what states that includes. Hint: Arkansas has NEVER even remotely been considered a border state....Second off, it is utterly ridiculous to make the statement that Missouri is considered to have fought for the north when the confederates basically controlled the entirety of Southern Missouri and the union had control in the northern section of the state. One of MANY ways that state is split. (A Border State)

As far as the comparison of weather in NWA is concerned...THEN WHY DOES IT SAY THE REST OF THE MIDWEST?!? If it is truly comparing it to the rest of the south????

And for the record, going off the weather reports, NWA weather is virtually identical to Nashville, Knoxville, Memphis, and Charlotte. HARDLY comparable to Des Moines, Chicago, Detroit, Indy, Minneapolis, Omaha, Souix Falls, Green Bay, etc...
Excuse me, I'm not trapped in the 1860's. I actually think about the word "border", what it means, and I apply that meaning. And Missouri most certainly is considered to have fought for the North. Regional issues aside, the STATE is considered to have fought for the Union. Since the original question was about weather, it seems that a reasonable person would look at geographical and climate regions rather than political divisions from 150 years ago. Examining geographical and climate regions actually yields a foundation for looking at Northwest Arkansas as a "border" area, since it is a region where the divisions in geography and climate occur.

I never said NWA weather is similar to Minneapolis. In fact, having lived for several years in Minneapolis, I can assert with confidence that the weather is quite different. But if I were to compare Memphis, I would have to say that Memphis weather is more similar to Little Rock. And NWA weather is more similar to Tulsa or Springfield or even to St Louis than to Little Rock.

Old 07-28-2014, 10:57 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,264,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post
Does NW Arkansas get as cold as the rest of the midwest?
Particularly interested in Fayetteville. Arkansas seems to be somewhere between the south and the midwest, but confused about the weather. Ideally, it's winters are not as harsh.
Folks, that's the original question - not where we are geographically. For those of you who are offended by being called a Midwesterner, let's just leave out one word in the title - REST - so now it's "Does Arkansas get as cold as the midwest?"

Name-calling and branding someone stupid or a liar for not having your opinion will win you a time out. Please - have a discussion, not a rant.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers