Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 07:39 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Really, Kathryn? That's not necessarily true, and btw, fracking operations can last up to 50 years in a 'good" vein of nat gas. That's why my county is pursuing extremely restrictive regulations that will effectively restrict fracking operations to only around 2% of the possible leasehold options, even though the state AG stated that they could be banned altogether. Thank heavens.
Yes, really. Can you provide a link from a reputable source showing anything other than the very isolated instances of groundwater being contaminated?

I think it's great that if the people of your county want to restrict fracking and vote to do so. That's why we have the government systems we have.

Here's a good article on the pros and cons, the urban legends for and against fracking:

Fracking Controversy - Top 10 Myths About Natural Gas Drilling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2018, 06:29 PM

114 posts, read 111,270 times
I've been considering buying a home on acreage in Northern Arkansas and fracking is of a great concern, want none of it anywhere near the property. The map I came across (there're series of maps available, and US-wide maps too, one has to zoom in to AR):
https://www.fractracker.org/map/us/arkansas/

Seems like only the counties that are bordering Missouri, excluding the most-Western, where Fayetteville is are free from fracking wells.
To those who try to say BS that "it doesn't pollute" water wells...haha, bring me a bit more lies from your crooked, lobbied-up by Big Oil EPA. There're multiple studies available that confirm well contamination (use google, for christ's sake), even though the oil industry is doing anything to block and pay for fake ones, using "good" sites "it does not happen". I'm in engineering occupation and can assure that such lies are for brainless dummies who want to die early from environmental diseases (I already got one, was poisoned by EPA-allowed all-safe toxic junk). By the way, all the engineered structures that are good and up to specs: they WILL break and be damaged over time, no to mention various immediate defects (and the fact that fracking is damaging, even if all current "regulations" are met). I personally want no fracking anywhere remotely near where I live. Luckily, the shale doesn't extent to most of the counties at the North AR border. But I think there's still a concern about some contamination later down the road... (and quite appalling that they are, apparently, fracking even in the beautiful Ozark National Forest...the forest is a big attraction for living nearby...only to learn they decided to trash even this public land)

Old 10-01-2018, 07:55 PM

231 posts, read 380,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierranevada1 View Post
I've been considering buying a home on acreage in Northern Arkansas and fracking is of a great concern, want none of it anywhere near the property. The map I came across (there're series of maps available, and US-wide maps too, one has to zoom in to AR):

Seems like only the counties that are bordering Missouri, excluding the most-Western, where Fayetteville is are free from fracking wells.
To those who try to say BS that "it doesn't pollute" water wells...haha, bring me a bit more lies from your crooked, lobbied-up by Big Oil EPA. There're multiple studies available that confirm well contamination (use google, for christ's sake), even though the oil industry is doing anything to block and pay for fake ones, using "good" sites "it does not happen". I'm in engineering occupation and can assure that such lies are for brainless dummies who want to die early from environmental diseases (I already got one, was poisoned by EPA-allowed all-safe toxic junk). By the way, all the engineered structures that are good and up to specs: they WILL break and be damaged over time, no to mention various immediate defects (and the fact that fracking is damaging, even if all current "regulations" are met). I personally want no fracking anywhere remotely near where I live. Luckily, the shale doesn't extent to most of the counties at the North AR border. But I think there's still a concern about some contamination later down the road... (and quite appalling that they are, apparently, fracking even in the beautiful Ozark National Forest...the forest is a big attraction for living nearby...only to learn they decided to trash even this public land)
Are you actually looking in this area, are you trying to push your view on the subject, or both? I can't tell.

Old 10-02-2018, 03:13 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,572,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaple4 View Post
Are you actually looking in this area, are you trying to push your view on the subject, or both? I can't tell.
I'd love to retire in NWA. There's a plaque with my name on it at AQ's in Springdale.

But fracking scares the hell out of me. OKC is the earthquake capital of the world. What's up with that?

Old 10-02-2018, 06:35 AM

4,598 posts, read 6,354,969 times
"But fracking scares the hell out of me. OKC is the earthquake capital of the world. What's up with that?"

You guessed it...fracking, but primarily deep well injection of toxic waste fluids. You won't have deep well injection without nearby fracking activity.

Oklahoma State fact sheet.

Recent earthquake activity in and around AR

Fracking fluid disposal wells banned in certain area of AR.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 10-02-2018, 07:33 AM

2,721 posts, read 4,389,324 times
Default North Arkansas,

Hello from San ANtonio ,tx. The home of some fracking large oil fields since the technology was developed.
I do not trust the frackers. Yes, there is proof that fracking harms the environment. Particularly fresh water supplies.
As for the earthquakes , fracking only causes minor ones. Oklahoma does not lie on the San Andreas fault line.
The Eagle Ford shale oil field lies immediately, south of San Antonio. A huge oil field it is, stretching from west Texas to nearly Arkansas. I am skeptical of the safety of this technology too.
I saw a video of farmer lighting kitchen sink water afire with a bic lighter whose farm sits next to fracking fields.
The oil companies assured them that the technology would not harm their farm the reality was different,
once could see a drilling rig from their kitchen window which was allowed on their property.
It wasn't worth it and the situation had become a nightmare they claimed o their television video which played on frontline or 20-20- some tv expose'.
I would be leery. If it were me.

Old 10-02-2018, 09:42 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,866,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierranevada1 View Post

You are worrying needlessly.

Earthquake Outbreak: Arkansas Bans Fracking Operations Inside Thousand-Square-Mile Area | Stuart H. Smith

Old 12-08-2018, 01:51 PM

367 posts, read 420,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Fractracker map shows many wells all over Ozarks forest area (mostly Southern half of it), some wells in Fayetteville area, and some (only few) wells in North-Central AR counties by Missouri border.

Seems like they're fracking inside a National Forest.

In most of the North-Central counties near the border seems like there's nothing or not much for them to come after....I wonder if these areas are permanently safe from fracking. And since they're heavily fracking just south of this, could they still come and dispose the fracking fluids...
http://trip8.co/map-of-us-natural-ga...n-us-us-shale/

Last edited by Usrname; 12-08-2018 at 02:07 PM..

Old 12-10-2018, 07:27 AM

4,598 posts, read 6,354,969 times
"could they still come and dispose the fracking fluids..." anything is possible, but the Ozarks are basically limestone....limestone is very hard to drill through. A disposal well is more likely to be placed in an area where less cost would be incurred.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 12-10-2018, 10:34 AM

367 posts, read 420,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
"could they still come and dispose the fracking fluids..." anything is possible, but the Ozarks are basically limestone....limestone is very hard to drill through. A disposal well is more likely to be placed in an area where less cost would be incurred.

Regards
Gemstone1
I see! I'd pulled more Fayetteville shale maps and seems like the counties in North-Central (and NW) AR that aren't sitting on top of the shale are the ones that touch Missouri border (with exception of Izard, it only got small southern tip on the shale/doesn't border Missouri)...seems like mostly limestones and dolomites in these counties, plus some sandstone in Izzard and Sharp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers