Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 07:19 AM

120 posts, read 215,316 times

Advertisements

I put my 5& 6 year olds on the wait list for Haas Hall a few months ago! I can put my 4-month old on next year. I think they have wait lists through the class of 2026 currently. Seriously. There will continue to be, according to news I've heard including on this site, more and more options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2015, 07:01 PM

39 posts, read 82,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flmom16 View Post
We are considering a move to NWA. I have been stalking your forum extensively! I am grateful there are so many regular posters here to help me get a feel for the area! My husband and I have 3 kids (8,5,3) and are looking for pretty conservative, family-friendly areas. My husband would be working at the University of Arkansas, but it looks like most of the extracurricular activities we would be looking for are going to be in Bentonville. Specifically, my daughter is a dancer and the best ballet program seems to be in Bentonville. Also, my son is enjoying swim team, and what appears to be the best swim team is right near the ballet school in Bentonville.

So my questions... How long does it REALLY take to get from South Rogers to UofA campus on 49? Google says 25-30 minutes, but I'm wondering how accurate that is. My husband is the type to leave the house at 6:30am and come home around 4:30pm. Would that avoid the rush?

Also, I was at first infatuated with the idea of living in Springdale, right in the middle, but the general consensus in this forum seems to be to avoid Springdale. What about the Har-Ber area west of 49 above 412? It seems nice and well-maintained, and Bernice Young Elementary is rated a 10 with only a 16% reduced lunch rate. (I absolutely hate that that number is a good way to get an idea of what a school will be like, but unfortunately it is true.) But I have heard that gangs are a very real problem in Springdale. Does that apply more to the east part of Springdale?

If we do decide to stick close to UofA in Fayetteville, does anyone have a recent opinion on the Holcomb/Holt school area? Any opinions I have found by searching are several years old. The northernmost parts of Fayetteville would at least minimize my long drive with kiddos up to Bentonville for activities.

Thanks for your help!
I would suggest visiting and researching individual schools would be the best way to go. I would not assume private and charter schools are the only option. The public schools are good in this region (my take is 50% school and other 50% comes from the efforts of kid and the family). Springdale school kid recently won 3rd in national geographic bee (first for Arkansas).

Here is a little promo video from Fayetteville schools:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f61OyrgKDeE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers