Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 08:11 AM

2 posts, read 1,646 times

Advertisements

We are considering a move to NWA. I have been stalking your forum extensively! I am grateful there are so many regular posters here to help me get a feel for the area! My husband and I have 3 kids (8,5,3) and are looking for pretty conservative, family-friendly areas. My husband would be working at the University of Arkansas, but it looks like most of the extracurricular activities we would be looking for are going to be in Bentonville. Specifically, my daughter is a dancer and the best ballet program seems to be in Bentonville. Also, my son is enjoying swim team, and what appears to be the best swim team is right near the ballet school in Bentonville.

So my questions... How long does it REALLY take to get from South Rogers to UofA campus on 49? Google says 25-30 minutes, but I'm wondering how accurate that is. My husband is the type to leave the house at 6:30am and come home around 4:30pm. Would that avoid the rush?

Also, I was at first infatuated with the idea of living in Springdale, right in the middle, but the general consensus in this forum seems to be to avoid Springdale. What about the Har-Ber area west of 49 above 412? It seems nice and well-maintained, and Bernice Young Elementary is rated a 10 with only a 16% reduced lunch rate. (I absolutely hate that that number is a good way to get an idea of what a school will be like, but unfortunately it is true.) But I have heard that gangs are a very real problem in Springdale. Does that apply more to the east part of Springdale?

If we do decide to stick close to UofA in Fayetteville, does anyone have a recent opinion on the Holcomb/Holt school area? Any opinions I have found by searching are several years old. The northernmost parts of Fayetteville would at least minimize my long drive with kiddos up to Bentonville for activities.

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2015, 09:12 AM

120 posts, read 215,335 times
If you follow the local news stations such as KNWA on Facebook, you will see where all of the shootings and gang activity occur. I'd stay away if I had a family. But maybe go for some good Mexican food and carnicerias and such. Personally, I wouldn't live there.

I can help with swim team as all of my kiddos are competitive swimmers. There are 2 main year-round USA swim teams: The NWAA Sharks and the Aquahawgs out of Fayetteville/Springdale. They are more competitive, in my opinion, and they have produced more in the way of superior athletes. I like the Sharks because of the proximity to where we live, and with 4 kids including a baby, I can't be gone for 3+ hours right around dinner time. Note: The Sharks have moved their training facility to the new Bentonville Community Center for fall through spring, and they train outdoor/long course in the summer at Memorial Park. They no longer train at the WLFC.

There are several summer rec programs through Wal-Mart (Walton Life Fitness Center), Pinnacle Country Club (where my younger 2 swam - very relaxed and non-competitive), Summer Hawgs, Bentonville Parks and Rec (Barracudas), and others. There are year-round lessons and some seasonal clinics as well.

Old 08-17-2015, 10:06 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,246,104 times
I think if people like us continue to persuade people away from Springdale it will become exactly what everyone is afraid of.

There are plenty of really nice neighborhoods in and around springdale and also there's a swim team that practices at the Jones Center.

With the Children's Hospital being located in Springdale, I think the area can only improve but it can't get there if we are telling people to avoid it.

My advice is you need to see it and make your own decision. It certainly is not Watts/Compton/Bedford stuyvesant/Brownsville

Old 08-17-2015, 10:18 AM

1,351 posts, read 2,129,095 times
Yeah, crime in Springdale has definitely gotten worse. Unfortunately, it will lead to a domino effect of people moving for better schools or just to feel better about where they live.

The crime is fairly localized right now, to poorer, older sections of the city. The west side is nice, but I personally wouldn't risk even my property values potentially not appreciating by moving there. It is definitely the least-desireable of the big four right now.

Old 08-17-2015, 10:50 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,866,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flmom16 View Post
We are considering a move to NWA. I have been stalking your forum extensively! I am grateful there are so many regular posters here to help me get a feel for the area! My husband and I have 3 kids (8,5,3) and are looking for pretty conservative, family-friendly areas. My husband would be working at the University of Arkansas, but it looks like most of the extracurricular activities we would be looking for are going to be in Bentonville. Specifically, my daughter is a dancer and the best ballet program seems to be in Bentonville. Also, my son is enjoying swim team, and what appears to be the best swim team is right near the ballet school in Bentonville.

So my questions... How long does it REALLY take to get from South Rogers to UofA campus on 49? Google says 25-30 minutes, but I'm wondering how accurate that is. My husband is the type to leave the house at 6:30am and come home around 4:30pm. Would that avoid the rush?

Also, I was at first infatuated with the idea of living in Springdale, right in the middle, but the general consensus in this forum seems to be to avoid Springdale. What about the Har-Ber area west of 49 above 412? It seems nice and well-maintained, and Bernice Young Elementary is rated a 10 with only a 16% reduced lunch rate. (I absolutely hate that that number is a good way to get an idea of what a school will be like, but unfortunately it is true.) But I have heard that gangs are a very real problem in Springdale. Does that apply more to the east part of Springdale?

If we do decide to stick close to UofA in Fayetteville, does anyone have a recent opinion on the Holcomb/Holt school area? Any opinions I have found by searching are several years old. The northernmost parts of Fayetteville would at least minimize my long drive with kiddos up to Bentonville for activities.

Thanks for your help!
At 6:30 am you shouldn't have any problems making to the UofA from South Rogers within 25 minutes on I-49. 4:30 coming home may not be as easily done. Traffic starts to pick up on I-49 around 3pm, and if there is an accident, or if there are any big events, it can cause some slow-downs. But even so, I've only had to come to a stop on I-49 once, on a Saturday during Christmas when there were several area events happening. If you are planning on spending a lot of time in Bentonville, then South Rogers would probably be a good mid-point for you.

Springdale is not a bad community. The Har-Ber area is nice, and there are several other very nice neighborhoods in Springdale. Crime isn't prevalent throughout Springdale, it seems to be focused in some neighborhoods, and leaking out around the edges of those neighborhoods. Really, don't cross Springdale off your list because of what you read on this forum. Go there and check it out for yourself.

I wouldn't want to drive kids up from Fayetteville to Bentonville for activities. Fayetteville has many excellent programs, including dance and swimming, that would probably fulfill your needs. It's up to you, of course, but going back and forth between Fayetteville and Bentonville would get very tedious very quickly.

Old 08-17-2015, 11:06 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Our grandson in law drives from So. Bella Vista (almost Bentonville) to the southern part of Fayetteville were conerned about the commute but it only takes him about 40 minutes as long as he leaves by 6:45am. Of course this does depend on the traffic and accidents.

Our other son in law drives from Exit 93, which is the last Bentonville stop going north. They live fairly close to 49. He works in So. Fayetteville as well. His commute doesn't bother him at all. Again,the biggest problem is accidents, because you have very few options other than 49.

If you are looking conservative and yet without a bad commute, I would consentrate more on Bentonville with Rogers being my next choice. Both are conserative areas and have very nice homes with lots of family neighborhoods.

Old 08-17-2015, 03:58 PM

100 posts, read 164,693 times
Your husband will be going against the traffic. Most folks commute up to Bentonville from Fayetteville and not the other way around.

25 minutes sounds about right.

Old 08-17-2015, 06:44 PM

2 posts, read 1,646 times
Thank you all so much for your input! I am very happy to hear that he would be going against most of the commuting traffic if we choose Rogers. I hadn't realized that most people are driving from Fayetteville to Bentonville.

I have read about some overcrowding in the Bentonville and Rogers elementary schools. Is Bellview one of the schools that has a waiting list to get in? Or has Janie Darr relieved most of its congestion? Are people liking Janie Darr? Ratings are not on greatschools. yet.

Also, I know this is a long way off... But how difficult is it to get into Haas Hall Academy? Anyone know any percentages for how many applicants are accepted? I'm wondering if it's the kind of thing you can semi-plan on, or if you need to look at it as a long shot? It looks like an amazing public high school.

Also, are any of the school districts or particular schools especially known for their gifted program? (I believe it's called REACH in Ar?) My daughter tested in to the gifted program here in FL, so I assume she would qualify in NWA as well. I've been looking into the information available online, but not every school explains how they carry out the program, and I'm wondering if any are well-known in the community. Maybe I should start a new thread with this question in the title...

Old 08-17-2015, 07:45 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,129,095 times
If high school is a long way off, then there should be plenty of other fantastic options by then. Haas Hall is a lottery system and can be difficult to get into. There are plans for additional charter schools here. The Walton Family Foundation is really big on charters. I know of at least one new charter opening in Fayetteville next year.

There are also plans for a top flight private academy in Bentonville for 7-12.

Old 08-17-2015, 10:09 PM

41 posts, read 66,880 times
South Rogers is probably then hottest area to live. Depending on the subdivision, you can pick your school system and be next door to ANY amenity you'd like to enjoy (shopping, medical, parks, et al). I'm not aware of a single public school in the area that isn't fantadtic (Springdale included). While Springdale is probably the least desirable of the four cities in NWA, it's still great by any national standard. In short, any choice you make will be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers