Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2006, 09:05 PM

1 posts, read 9,678 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering relocating SOMEWHERE, and are not sure where yet.. we are researching several areas and Bentonville could be an option.. can any current residents tell me about the climate, weather, humidity, fleas and other buggy problems.. we have dogs and cats and live in the upper california desert now and don't have fleas to deal with..

also, are there new housing developments? how are the property taxes? Vehicle registration costs? medical facilities?

Thanks to anyone for their honest opinions..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2009, 03:10 PM

4 posts, read 15,095 times
Lightbulb Arkansas climate

I found this: HowStuffWorks "Maps of United States Climate"

I too, am searching for climates, temperatures, critters and such that are native to different states. We will be relocating in a few years and have been researching to find a place that: has very little snow and ice in the winter, not much humidity in the summer, a lake with over 900 miles of shoreline, no rattlesnakes, no hurricanes and no earthquakes.

Old 04-30-2009, 03:23 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,081,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy Hardin View Post
I found this: HowStuffWorks "Maps of United States Climate"

I too, am searching for climates, temperatures, critters and such that are native to different states. We will be relocating in a few years and have been researching to find a place that: has very little snow and ice in the winter, not much humidity in the summer, a lake with over 900 miles of shoreline, no rattlesnakes, no hurricanes and no earthquakes.
Dream on, with the lakes usually comes snakes and/or humidity. NWA has less miserable weather than the deep south. That is for sure. We have some awesome lakes and a very nice winter climate. It is cold, we do get some snow and ice, but not much.. Of course we do not have to worry about hurricanes or earthquakes..

If you can find that spot that will offer you all you want and nothing you don't want let the rest of us know..

Old 04-30-2009, 04:25 PM

1,661 posts, read 5,181,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brteyes1 View Post
My husband and I are considering relocating SOMEWHERE, and are not sure where yet.. we are researching several areas and Bentonville could be an option.. can any current residents tell me about the climate, weather, humidity, fleas and other buggy problems.. we have dogs and cats and live in the upper california desert now and don't have fleas to deal with..

also, are there new housing developments? how are the property taxes? Vehicle registration costs? medical facilities?

Thanks to anyone for their honest opinions..
Yes, adding to Nita I will say that we have fleas and ticks also.

They can be controlled, of course, but if you don't want to do that, then AR may not be your utopia.

Old 04-30-2009, 08:57 PM

31 posts, read 104,544 times
Default Thanks Cindy

This is a great info site. I am an info junkie so I just loved this. Made me want to move to NWA even sooner

Thakns!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Dream on, with the lakes usually comes snakes and/or humidity. NWA has less miserable weather than the deep south. That is for sure. We have some awesome lakes and a very nice winter climate. It is cold, we do get some snow and ice, but not much.. Of course we do not have to worry about hurricanes or earthquakes..

If you can find that spot that will offer you all you want and nothing you don't want let the rest of us know..

Old 05-04-2009, 12:48 AM

41 posts, read 76,124 times
The climate is nice-- not too terribly hot and miserable in the summer; not abysmally snowy and icy in the winter. We've got fleas and ticks, but that's what frontline and promeris are for. If you can find somewhere without any bugs please let me know because I'll move there.

I love northwest arkansas. it's the only part of the state I'll live in.

Old 05-04-2009, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorbackbelle08 View Post
The climate is nice-- not too terribly hot and miserable in the summer; not abysmally snowy and icy in the winter. We've got fleas and ticks, but that's what frontline and promeris are for. If you can find somewhere without any bugs please let me know because I'll move there.

I love northwest arkansas. it's the only part of the state I'll live in.
I agree with everything you have to say..We control the ticks and fleas with Frontline, we have had no problems and living in NWA is like going to heaven, but we are still alive..

Nita

Old 05-14-2009, 11:29 PM

19 posts, read 129,299 times
Fleas and ticks are best controlled by keeping the yard mowed, which requires a weekly mowing around here with all the humidity we have. I moved here from the California desert and much prefer this climate, but if you don't like humidity you may have real problems. But you know what you get in exchange for that? TREES! They're everywhere and they're awesome.

As for your other questions: There are way too many housing developments, many sitting idle and only partially completed. The housing bubble burst big time around here and many contractors went bankrupt. The standing inventory of completed homes is huge. Empty lots in incomplete subdivisions number in the thousands. Property taxes are quite a bit less here than in most places--especially places like California and the north. Vehicle registration is practically a joke--many cars cost around $25 to tag. Unfortunately, this is offset by "personal property tax" where the state taxes you on the value of your vehicles. Expect to pay around 1% of the current value of your car. As for medical facilities, Bentonville has a fairly new hospital, and neighboring Rogers has an even newer one. Our reputation is for having these facilities understaffed and we don't get the cream of the crop of doctors who would rather live in larger cities where they can make more money.

Old 05-15-2009, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulluvit View Post
Fleas and ticks are best controlled by keeping the yard mowed, which requires a weekly mowing around here with all the humidity we have. I moved here from the California desert and much prefer this climate, but if you don't like humidity you may have real problems. But you know what you get in exchange for that? TREES! They're everywhere and they're awesome.

As for your other questions: There are way too many housing developments, many sitting idle and only partially completed. The housing bubble burst big time around here and many contractors went bankrupt. The standing inventory of completed homes is huge. Empty lots in incomplete subdivisions number in the thousands. Property taxes are quite a bit less here than in most places--especially places like California and the north. Vehicle registration is practically a joke--many cars cost around $25 to tag. Unfortunately, this is offset by "personal property tax" where the state taxes you on the value of your vehicles. Expect to pay around 1% of the current value of your car. As for medical facilities, Bentonville has a fairly new hospital, and neighboring Rogers has an even newer one. Our reputation is for having these facilities understaffed and we don't get the cream of the crop of doctors who would rather live in larger cities where they can make more money.
Funny we have not felt the lack of good doctors or seen the hospitals understaffed. There is always a need for good doctors, regardless of where you live and most hospitals have openings for nurses, but so far, we have been very pleased and I have been in the hospital twice this year. Once was not serious, the other was life threatening.

This is not to say, the very best or the best are here. You are right the cream of the crop usually settle in the huge cities, but we do have good doctors.
Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers