Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 01:40 PM

74 posts, read 99,158 times

Advertisements

Fayetteville has much of what Im after overall.

I wonder if there is a section that I could rent a little apartment for 550, and that would be very near a grocery store, a ma and pa restaurant, maybe even a library, sort of a small village in the larger Fayetteville area that I could bike to (Im not in good shape, so everything needs to be really close). Farmers market, coffee shop. Just a collection of a few things I can live near to and make my own. Frequent my neighborhoods this or that.

I will have a car, I dont need public transit, just would like to grow old on a bike. But somewhere that isnt all college kids. Id like a quiet place to live. Im over 50 and want no frat house

Am I dreaming or can this be had? I dont mind an inlaw apartment, a tiny house behind a house. I dont mind a studio.

Help me out folks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2016, 09:32 PM

1,350 posts, read 2,119,568 times
For those criteria, I'd suggest looking at some smaller rentals downtown, Square area, not Dickson, and to the south of there.

The bike trails make bicycling all over town pretty reasonable.

You will probably never completely escape college kids. We are a city of 80k with 27k college students, afterall.

Good luck!

Old 02-15-2016, 04:21 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,420,118 times
My thought, you will need to be downtown and even then, small inexpensive apartments in a college town equals college kids. I will add, there are a lot of good mom and pop places to eat and a wonderful farmers market for starters. Good luck, and remember being around college kids unless the area is overflowing with them can be a really positive experience.

It appears you are considering a lot of small towns in other states as well. Research and visiting is the best way to find what you are looking for.

Old 02-15-2016, 04:39 AM

Thank you folks!

I am misunderstood. I do not want to escape college kids! I know it is a very youthful city. I dont want to live in an apartment where Im the only non-student. Raucus parties busting out all around to all hours on the weekend. That is what I want to avoid. Do not want weekend party atmosphere.

So my location to hone in is the downtown square and gardens and parts south?

Id like to come this week or next since winter has fled. Am I Iikely to see for rent signs in yards or windows?

Old 02-15-2016, 11:43 AM

I think that's a good plan. East of downtown is also less collegiate, although I don't think there are many rentals in the immediate area. cycling is also less-favorable because of the topography immediately east of downtown square.

I'd advise you to stop by the welcome center on the square and get a bike trail map, so you can always see how close any rental is to the bike trail system.

Trails & Greenways | Fayetteville, AR - Official Website

Old 02-15-2016, 01:01 PM

Thanks will do. Visitor center is my first stop.

If I have to give up my old lady on a bike notion I will. Just thought it be precious to be known about town as the old bike lady. Maybe with a safety orange colored crochet shawl, ha. An easy way to make friends.

So is Crystal Bridges but half an hour away?

Is there some sort of non-profit orginization that helps women in transition. You know like after death or divorce, starting over, getting back in the job market. Some places do, but I havent been able to find anything there in Fayetteville.

I sure could use some help and guidance, should I go to a career school for this or that, or should I start working here or there, or might I have skills that would be worthwhile in this or that capacity. Where is the better paying jobs with availability that I could work/school toward in Fayetteville. Im happy to work minimum wage until.....but until what?

Old 02-16-2016, 04:39 AM

Ha. Im going to answer myself. If I get a van and sell my car, I can live anywhere Fayetteville and then DRIVE my bike into town and still get around by bike! I want to grow old on a bike!

Any help on where I can learn about what jobs are needed in Fayetteville that pay a living wage and what I can do about it?

And for job/career there is WAGE a free program to help.
http://aalrc.org/index.php/wage/

Goodwill also offers free help for employment
http://www.goodwillar.org/career_tra...locations.html

Last edited by Pnutty1; 02-16-2016 at 05:07 AM..

Old 03-23-2016, 02:24 PM

http://www.city-data.com/forum/frugal-living/

Hey guys I posted this in the frugal forum. Cuz Im new to independent living and want to start right away doing it frugal. You have any thoughts please post!

Old 03-23-2016, 03:48 PM

There's a deliberately affordable owner-occupied home development coming to South Fayetteville that you might keep your eye on. Several different parties have come together to design a traditional, walkable infill project, with the idea of keeping it affordable, dense, and near existing amenities.

Willow Bend in Fayetteville, Arkansas - Terrain.org: A Journal of the Built + Natural Environments

This is going through city planning right now, but should be built-out and available within the next year. It sounds pretty cool.

Old 03-26-2016, 12:39 AM

108 posts, read 120,183 times
Pnutty, the link takes you to the entire forum, not your specific post so don't know what you suggested. I will throw in my 2 cents. I am bordering on being a single mother of twin toddlers so am always looking for deals/bargains. I sign up for every single retail store rewards program, not credit cards, just their plastic rewards card. I get coupons all the time for $10 of a $10 purchase as an example. I double that one with a web advertised 15% off and walk out of the store with a new baby outfit(s) for nothing. They expect you to go in with your $10 coupon and spend money but I don't, I take the money and run! I worked retail for way too long to pay much for new clothing. There's always thrift store shopping of course, but it feels good to get new stuff for nothing more than a trip to the store. Many people don't like to give out their email to all the rewards programs, so just make a spam email for that purpose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
View detailed profiles of: